Gaia Maps v. Off-road App v. On X Off

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
I’m a happy user of Gaia Maos for multi day trips and for quick and easy day trips I’ve found the Off-road App (IOS) very convenien. It would appear On X has paid YouTube influencers to promote On X app. I’m just curious, if it has made a difference in end users.

have you, or are considering switching your navigation app/maps? Which app are you currently using?
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I use Gaia, and I’m considering switching. I don’t trust their privacy practices. Even though all my data is selected as “private” they still send these cheeky emails detailing how many miles I have driven in a week, elevation, etc.

Makes it readily apparent they run analytics on “private“ info and I assume they are selling the same to the highest bidder.

When I’m the paying customer of a service I expect private to mean what the dictionary says.

And I don’t need their marketing department to tell me how much driving I did last week. I was there.

OP
OP
wnorton

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Gr
I use Gaia, and I’m considering switching. I don’t trust their privacy practices. Even though all my data is selected as “private” they still send these cheeky emails detailing how many miles I have driven in a week, elevation, etc.

Makes it readily apparent they run analytics on “private“ info and I assume they are selling the same to the highest bidder.

When I’m the paying customer of a service I expect private to mean what the dictionary says.

And I don’t need their marketing department to tell me how much driving I did last week. I was there.
great feedback.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had an issue with my Gaia maps the other day with a map that was supposedly downloaded but once on the trail I found out it wasn’t. Not a great experience, but first time it happened.

I am thinking of going to On X off-road. My friend that I was out with had it and it seemed easier to use.

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Went to check the Off-Road App. It does not appear to be available outside of the US, unless it has another name than "off-road app". OXMaps also does not cover Canada, or anything outside of the US.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I have used Gaia sparingly, but mostly used Trails Off-road and GPX files/file viewer for my trips. I was ready to spring for On X, but using the free version and it not working properly turned me away. I had maps downloaded and still there would be nothing showing on the screen. I was really hopeful it would be more user friendly than Gaia. I want something I can use via CarPlay and it work and not take a month of using it to learn it's ins and outs.

Never heard of the "off-road app", but I will check that out.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been using Gaia since 2017 mostly for hiking and raft/canoe trips and haven’t had any complaints, I’ve played around with OnX a bit. Using both is the best imo, along with manually routing my routes in garmin software if I’m taking a trip that isn’t say like an off-road park. I carry an inreach mini paired to my phone for all outdoor activities just in case.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I tried Gaia but failed miserably at understanding and using the produce.

onX proved to be easier for me to use and it provides me with what I need.

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
I've been using Gaia for many years and find it very powerful and easy to use. I can easily make routes of where I want to go, save tracks of where I've been, and make waypoints with comments and pictures. It's really useful to have routes from all of my old trips saved on my phone and in the cloud. A major advantage is that you can download all sorts or maps including nautical maps so it is very versatile. I use it for kayaking, hiking, and off road exploring.
I paid for OnX a few months ago and I'm still exploring that. It seems harder to use (maybe I just haven't used it enough yet) and the map download function seems to be limited to size and resolution (at least as far as I can tell). I can't download a high resolution map of a large area like I can with Gaia. It has some comments about some trails which may be useful for planning. For now, I think I'll use OnX to help when planning and Gaia for routing and mapping while I'm driving. I'll never dump Gaia because of its versatility.

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have been using OnX for years, the Hunt version. After trying Gaia for a few months, I never quite got the hang of it and, as others have said, found OnX to be more user friendly, though not as feature rich as Gaia. Its not that expensive to try both (Gaia is what, $40 or $50 a year? and OnX you can get 6 months free). I'm waiting to subscribe for OnX Offroad for when I get my jeep. I don't want to take my truck offroad right now anyway and risk damage that will lower its value as I try to sell.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I only use Gaia maps, I love the interface easy to see on a iPad mounted above the radio.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gaia Maps v. Off-road App v. On X Off C3B38DFE-3EB7-4CB9-8075-969326F19CA4

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I just fired up the free 6 months of On X Off road via the Jeep Wave offer - will see if I can learn how to use it

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Gaia via Carplay is my choice, especially because Colorado's high country (and Moab/Western Utah) is covered by NatGeo's Trails Illustrated maps. IMHO these are the very best maps for off roading- they have all the USFS road numbers and geographic points in a very clear map. Uploaded all my Funtrek's GPX trails into a folder, and can turn that layer on and off to easily follow pre-loaded GPX routes. The Carplay functionality can be a little fussy, and sometimes the map layer shown on the phone doesn't show on the vehicle screen, but usually a quick swipe to close the app and relaunch gets everything back in order.

IMG_3035.PNG

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Dang Dave - that looks really good.
In that screenshot, I also have the US Topo layer on, but at a lower transparency lever. Between the two, you don't miss much!
Sponsored