Sponsored

Gaia GPS or On X Offroad?

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Well on X Offroad is very capable topography maps and works well with Android Auto to wit I use, probably depends on how much you actually need these apps. FYI my Jeeps navigation actually shows some trails and I've done a few in Texas, New Mexico, and ofcourse California and Georgia-I believe Google maps have done something lately, it's been working as well. Keep the Jeep wave going.
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I use Gaia in conjunction with a Garmin Glo 2 and TrailsOffroad. Match made in heaven since you can shoot the route data directly from TO to Gaia.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I use Gaia in conjunction with a Garmin Glo 2 and TrailsOffroad. Match made in heaven since you can shoot the route data directly from TO to Gaia.
Trails Offroad is awesome.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Trails Offroad is awesome.
I love it. I have an iPad mini I Bluetooth pair with the Garmin with really good results. Very strong and accurate satellite fix. I have Gaia and TO pre loaded on it with the trails for the trip ready to rock. It works great!

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

so thinking of getting a GPS enabled iPad and wondering is 64GB enough to download off line maps?

Anybody using a 64GB devices for either Gaia or OnX? Is that enough memory, or do you wish you had purchased more?

Sponsored

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
@Murphydog

It all depends on how much you want stored at once. You can download areas individually. The approximately 9 mile by 15 mile section of trails by my house takes up 89 MB on my phone. If I go elsewhere I download it and delete it later when I don’t need it anymore.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
so thinking of getting a GPS enabled iPad and wondering is 64GB enough to download off line maps?

Anybody using a 64GB devices for either Gaia or OnX? Is that enough memory, or do you wish you had purchased more?
It's way more than enough, I have hundreds of gpx trails on my Gaia gps from Funtreks on a 64gb Ipad mini along with games and yadda yadda and I still have 20-30gb left and I have offline maps covering all of colorado and most if not all of Utah. I think my maps are probably under 1gb, I don't have the ipad near me right now.

I have the bluetooth/wifi only ipad plugged up to a Garmin GLONASS since it doesn't have cell gps built in. Wish I knew that before buying it but the Garmin blows my phones gps out of the water. That's another option to go with, a cheaper Ipad + better GPS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9CZYTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

It's way more than enough, I have hundreds of gpx trails on my Gaia gps from Funtreks on a 64gb Ipad mini along with games and yadda yadda and I still have 20-30gb left and I have offline maps covering all of colorado and most if not all of Utah. I think my maps are probably under 1gb, I don't have the ipad near me right now.

I have the bluetooth/wifi only ipad plugged up to a Garmin GLONASS since it doesn't have cell gps built in. Wish I knew that before buying it but the Garmin blows my phones gps out of the water. That's another option to go with, a cheaper Ipad + better GPS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9CZYTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
that looks like an interesting option as well, I didn't look at the amazon link just yet, how do you connect the GPS and iPad, cable or bluetooth or ?

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use an iPad mini 4 that has no built in gps. I pair it to my Garmin inReach, and it uses that for GPS.

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Does anyone know if this works with OnXOffRoad? I have a WiFi only iPad Pro. that is worthless for navigation without the GPS and WiFi. But with the OnX offline maps this might just be the ticket.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Does anyone know if this works with OnXOffRoad? I have a WiFi only iPad Pro. that is worthless for navigation without the GPS and WiFi. But with the OnX offline maps this might just be the ticket.
It should work perfect. It's only providing GPS location via Wi-Fi to your tablet. Won't matter what mapping program you use.

cgkades

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 1997 XJ
Build Thread
Link
I absolutely hate OnX. First time I used it, it wouldn't load the offline maps I had saved. Luckily I still had my Gaia maps. Second time I used it, it kept turning off while driving, and even though I had location in background enabled, the Car Play wouldn't update my location unless my phone was on. I contacted support and their suggestion was to make it so my phone doesn't sleep. Because I have work email on my phone, I can't actually do that. I couldn't get a refund because it was through apple, and by time I actually used it, it was too late to get the refund. Gaia works just fine so I just use that now. OnX is nice that it has trails, but it's useless if it doesn't actually work when off-road and off grid.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I absolutely hate OnX. First time I used it, it wouldn't load the offline maps I had saved. Luckily I still had my Gaia maps. Second time I used it, it kept turning off while driving, and even though I had location in background enabled, the Car Play wouldn't update my location unless my phone was on. I contacted support and their suggestion was to make it so my phone doesn't sleep. Because I have work email on my phone, I can't actually do that. I couldn't get a refund because it was through apple, and by time I actually used it, it was too late to get the refund. Gaia works just fine so I just use that now. OnX is nice that it has trails, but it's useless if it doesn't actually work when off-road and off grid.
Well that sucks. But I've never experienced those types of failures using onX.

The offline maps on my phone work great.

There are times my phone goes to sleep as well but as long as I am using Android Carplay and have a back up satnav device (Garmin InReach) then everything works great.

onX has some great online tutorials and they host Zoom meetings as well. I have learned a lot by using the video and attending the video conferences. The real time Q&A is especially helpful.

Good luck. O hope you get the chance to try onX again sometime.
Sponsored