Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Finally got OnX to show up on Android Auto the other day, but when I tried to pull it up, it's a Premium feature?! $30/year just to be able to use their app in my Jeep?

Super lame, IMO.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Finally got OnX to show up on Android Auto the other day, but when I tried to pull it up, it's a Premium feature?! $30/year just to be able to use their app in my Jeep?

Super lame, IMO.
Yeah, it's not free. You are basically licensing the product. I finally downloaded the app to my phone, took it off the tablet (which didn't work with Android Auto) and I'll be testing that version this week.

I hope it works well as I have a long overlanding trip in the planning stage. I still have a lot to learn about the system.

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
I have the time - is there a guide somewhere that I could spend a few hours with the paper map and manually build in all of the trails, and then share those publicly?
For Gaia or OnX? I've been adding local trails to Gaia so I can get them displayed via carplay (i.e. Map Warper: Viewing Map 62190 -> Millican Valley OHV | Gaia GPS ). DM me and we can figure out a time for me to screen share and show you the process. The process will be the same as for that Millican map, but instead of converting PDF to TIFF we'll just scan your paper maps.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I activated my 6 month with Jeep, but it says it needs premium when i hit the app on the screen in the Jeep.

Anyone know of a solution?

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
Same thing happened to me...if you load your phone with it first, it won't work on Android Auto for free for the first six months...uninstall the OnxOff app and then connect your phone to the Jeep and get Android Auto up and running and then load the App on the phone and connect...mine worked after that.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Trying to decide which one to try. Do y'all use these on your phone, tablet, or both? Seems like a tablet would allow the a user the "best" view, but of course the phone is a bit easier to manage in the car.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Trying to decide which one to try. Do y'all use these on your phone, tablet, or both? Seems like a tablet would allow the a user the "best" view, but of course the phone is a bit easier to manage in the car.
I use my Android phone and onX offline maps I've downloaded to it.

When I plug in my phone to the 8.4N head unit on my JL, Android Auto displays the onX map there. So no worries about a small screen.

Prior to loading the Android Auto app on the head unit I used an older Android tablet and it worked but not having that larger bulky tablet hanging off the front of the dash was an improvement IMHO.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
ā˜ I do the same with Gaia and apple CarPlay. Do everything on my phone and then display on big screen.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

ā˜ I do the same with Gaia and apple CarPlay. Do everything on my phone and then display on big screen.
I have the free version of Gaia and it works via Apple CarPlay. Would like to try the free subscription on OnX to compare as well

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Iā€™ve tried the free version of Gaia and the free trial of OnX. Iā€™m not keen on either actually.
Gaia just doesnā€™t seem to work right. I load it up on my phone and see topo grid lines and everything, but the CarPlay display looks more similar to Apple Maps, no grid lines. The paid version is supposed to support more maps, but since I donā€™t own it I canā€™t tell if that makes a difference.

OnX appears to work at first. What I see on the phone matches closely to I see on the screen. The problem was the downloaded maps. I pre-downloaded the area I was going to be wheeling in. I started up OnX and started up the canyon. Shortly up the canyon I lost cell signal, and shortly after that the map started displaying in extremely low resolution. Most of the trails still showed up, but the map itself was a blurry mess. I checked the downloaded maps and I was squarely in the middle of my saved boundary. I tried using offline mode, but that didnā€™t change anything either.

So I like the idea, but neither app has worked how I would expect it to.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
You can avoid that loss of detail on onX if you add a satellite receiver unit, such as a Garmin InReach, to your vehicle.

Having Apple CarPlay or Android Auto helps somewhat as well. Use it, depending on your phone type, to display your map from the phone to the head unit.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I donā€™t know what OnX is like but Gaia has more detail available than I can use. If I downloaded those layers they have available, well, Iā€™m not so sure a file that huge would. Maybe. Iā€™ve downloaded maybe 6 or 7 on a huge remote area I selected so Iā€™d have those maps without cell service and they were very big. I really only needed 5 at best. Itā€™s nice to have more info though. That included grid lines and elevation.
Sponsored