Gaia GPS or On X Offroad?

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles
I'm trying to make a decision as to which GPS & mapping software I want to subscribe to.

It seems to me that Gaia GPS and On X Offroad basically operate in a similar fashion, offer the same services, have usable map architecture and include trip planning features.

I am still exploring the differences such as access to and layering of USFS, state lands, historical and curren topo maps and how the GPS markers work.

In any event, your comments, observed pros & cons and experiences with either app would be welcome!
I currently use both. The tracking for OnX and Gaia GPS is pretty similar. They both have the same features as far as adding way points, pictures, or sharing with others. I use Gaia GPS in conjunction with Trails Offroad (which is also a paid service for access to all their trails). You can upload the GPS coordinates for the trail from Trails Offroad to Gaia GPS. It works great. In my area (Arizona), I have noticed that there are some trails listed on one app and not the other which is the reason I use both. The difference between the two is the trial rating system. Trial Offroad uses a trail rating of 1-5 and OnX used a trail rating of 1-10. Not a big deal as you can read the trail reviews on either system to figure out how easy or hard the trail is.
Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I currently use Gaia maps, I have not tried OnX yet.
So I basically went from running this setup:
Jeep Wrangler JL Gaia GPS or On X Offroad? 4402232E-53D9-429F-A501-C77C54FDA2B4

To running ProClips for holding my iPad. This setup is so much better and it doesnā€™t move around while I am offroad.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gaia GPS or On X Offroad? 8C01329C-10C7-4B73-9BD6-F369B0EFD114
Jeep Wrangler JL Gaia GPS or On X Offroad? DDB40D93-7C88-4CA0-8635-8E756DD9F1E6
Jeep Wrangler JL Gaia GPS or On X Offroad? F758505A-DBFF-46AC-A6E6-3855F957547A

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
On X Offroad and Jeep may have a partnership or something. I recently received a 6 month free trial through an email from Jeep. Seems to be well detailed, while a bit dated, provides more information then I expected and borders on legitimate privacy concerns (while being public records, Iā€™m not sure why it needs to provide private property owners names with each property). At least it would help prevent from accidentally trespassing.

My biggest complaint and something I didnā€™t bother to look into before aimlessly going off into the forest. It doesnā€™t have Apple CarPlay, therefore I didnā€™t really use it as I didnā€™t have a mount for the phone either.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
On X Offroad and Jeep may have a partnership or something. I recently received a 6 month free trial through an email from Jeep. Seems to be well detailed, while a bit dated, provides more information then I expected and borders on legitimate privacy concerns (while being public records, Iā€™m not sure why it needs to provide private property owners names with each property). At least it would help prevent from accidentally trespassing.

My biggest complaint and something I didnā€™t bother to look into before aimlessly going off into the forest. It doesnā€™t have Apple CarPlay, therefore I didnā€™t really use it as I didnā€™t have a mount for the phone either.
It has to be public record for land ownership.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It has to be public record for land ownership.
I am aware, itā€™s certainly dated info as some of it was still under previous owners names. But still surprised me to see it on the app. While it is public info, itā€™s usually a very deliberate act to search for that information. Was just surprised it gives names with limited contact info for some private properties.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I like all the great info in this thread! Last week I installed the free version GAIA to test it out. I have one issue though which makes it totally unusable. When I have it in course mode, direction of travel up, the map keeps rotating up to 30 degrees left and right. It does it when driving, when stopped, even sitting still outside of the Jeep. I found 1 article that said this is a known problem and recommended calibrating the compass on the phone. I've done that and removed/reinstalled the app but it's still doing it. Anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

I want an app that will work with Android Auto and was hoping this would do the trick. From what I read about On X Offroad it doesn't work with Android Auto, is this true?

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
I currently use both. The tracking for OnX and Gaia GPS is pretty similar. They both have the same features as far as adding way points, pictures, or sharing with others. I use Gaia GPS in conjunction with Trails Offroad (which is also a paid service for access to all their trails). You can upload the GPS coordinates for the trail from Trails Offroad to Gaia GPS. It works great. In my area (Arizona), I have noticed that there are some trails listed on one app and not the other which is the reason I use both. The difference between the two is the trial rating system. Trial Offroad uses a trail rating of 1-5 and OnX used a trail rating of 1-10. Not a big deal as you can read the trail reviews on either system to figure out how easy or hard the trail is.
I am going to have to look into this, it's so easy to get lost in the desert

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles
I am going to have to look into this, it's so easy to get lost in the desert
Trails Off-road just came out with an App as well. Havenā€™t used it on a trail yet but plan to do so soon. I played around with it and you can upload all the trails for your state for off line use when you donā€™t have cell service. I checked out a hard rock crawling trail and it gives you waypoints with suggestion how to tackle the obstacle. Pretty cool. Iā€™ll advise how it works out on the trail soon.

ZigZag

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR (Hellayella)
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I really appreciate all of this info. I have been trying to decide between Gaia on OnX. Very concerned about privacy issues with new owners. So this is all good info.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I really appreciate all of this info. I have been trying to decide between Gaia on OnX. Very concerned about privacy issues with new owners. So this is all good info.
@ZigZag, I recommend trying out OSMAnd - itā€™s free to download and you can get free monthly map updates.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I want an app that will work with Android Auto and was hoping this would do the trick. From what I read about On X Offroad it doesn't work with Android Auto, is this true?
I can confirm that onX does NOT work with Android Auto (as of today), unfortunately.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
I too faced the Gaia / On-X choice.

I wanted a program that had a lot of preloaded Jeep trails, that accurately recorded my tracks, that allowed me to easily and quickly add waypoints and photos, that clearly showed dirt roads, and that allowed me to easily file and organize my tracks without cluttering up the whole screen.

Almost everybody I know uses Gaia and I really tried to make it work. I watched every Gaia YouTube how-to video and used it on several multi-day trips. I sort of figured out but I certainly didn't find it intuitive. I never could get Gaia to file and organize my tracks in a way that I could easily retrieve them and work with them.

Thoroughly disappointed in Gaia, I decided to try On-X. I couldn't be happier or more relieved when I opened the program and found it to be very simple, intuitive, and straight-forward. I believe in the KISS principle and the three map layers and five icons at the bottom are just right for me. I started clicking and was able to easily save maps in high resolution for off-line use. I saved a couple of high-resolution maps and did a test run in the Jeep. On-X tracked me beautifully; I was able to quickly and easily add waypoints and pictures; and was able to figure out how to file the track.

I'm in Arizona with many trails in the desert that cross public, private, and government land. I was amazed at how accurate On-X had the trails marked and I see where the land ownership feature will be very helpful in choosing a route.

The data mining of Gaia's new owners made the decision to dump Gaia easy for me.

Trails Offroad is a good source to find trails and has good info on the trails, but doesn't do what I wanted.

Last edited:

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I use both now. I have been using GAIA for a couple of years and recently started using OnX. OnX is definitely easier to use and it gives me most of what I want. I just wish it was carplay compatible.

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
I use both now. I have been using GAIA for a couple of years and recently started using OnX. OnX is definitely easier to use and it gives me most of what I want. I just wish it was carplay compatible.
great thing to know. Iā€˜ve been using Gaia (w/ Trails Offroad) but wondering if OnX is something to consider. CarPlay is a big part of that choice.
Sponsored