First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I'm trying to make a decision as to which GPS & mapping software I want to subscribe to.

It seems to me that Gaia GPS and On X Offroad basically operate in a similar fashion, offer the same services, have usable map architecture and include trip planning features.

I am still exploring the differences such as access to and layering of USFS, state lands, historical and curren topo maps and how the GPS markers work.

In any event, your comments, observed pros & cons and experiences with either app would be welcome!
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I asked a similar question back in December and it seemed to me most thought Gaia GPS was a pretty good app/web based program. Since then I paid for a subscription and have found it pretty easy to use. Will no more after I use it on my Colorado trip this July. I have all my trails marked in Gaia and can access on my phone. Just need to get out there and give it a try.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I use Gaia and have no complaints. I haven't tried On X. Gaia is compatible with CarPlay but not Android Auto if that matters to you.

OP
OP
JL MADDOG

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thanks, JayJay. That's good to know.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I have not tried Gaia. I read that it was harder to figure out than OnX, tried OnX, and ended up subscribing. OnX is not compatible with Android Auto either, but I don't care that much.

I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, honestly, due to having to earn the Jeep payment and the other bills. Work is the enemy of off-road adventure.

Still, I'm pretty optimistic. It's not that great around here, because we don't have any cool stuff around here. No blue trails and green trails and all the other stuff you get out west where the real off-roading is, but at least it has extensive information about all the local forest roads, crappy county roads that cross creeks a dozen times, and what little else there is to do around here. It covers tons of non-motorized trails I never knew existed, and a lot of them lead to interesting looking destinations. I wouldn't have known about any of that stuff without OnX. It beats the hell out of downloading GPS-encoded PDFs from the USFS, and trying to figure out which quadrangle you want to find where you are now.

As thousands of people seem to have somehow acquired and posted property within the Jefferson National Forest, one of the features I like the most is the instant property owner information. You can pull it up basically anywhere, and see who owns what. A lot of land out there is owned by somebody who might shoot you, and it's better to know where you're trespassing if you step off into the woods to let your dog take a crap or whatever.

Again, I can't compare to Gaia, as I haven't tried it. I went with the elite subscription to OnX. $100 a year is steep, but I figure after the first year, I will have everything memorized.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I really like all trails. It has worked really well in places like Moab and had all the trails I went on pre-mapped. Gaia was short of a pain because I would need to find GDX files for certain trails prior to running.

I have the paid version of all trails because it allows you to download the maps.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I have OnX and love it. Yearly subscription is $30, the $100 subscription is for land owner info. If you live someplace where that is necessary to know, it's good to have. The blue trails are rated and reviewed with pics. The green trails are anything, washes, dirt roads, rocky areas, sand, you get the idea. The problem with the green trails is there is no info on them. You kinda have to know the area to have an idea what they might be. But you won't know what they're like till you get on them, if there stock friendly or for modified rigs.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I have OnX and love it. Yearly subscription is $30, the $100 subscription is for land owner info. If you live someplace where that is necessary to know, it's good to have.
I was particularly interested, because there are a couple of places where the huge posted signs imply that the road is a private driveway or something. I paid for the land ownership feature so I could help sort that out. At least two of these are forest roads, no matter what the signs imply. A bunch of the gravel trails really are private drives though, and it's worth the extra to have an easy way of telling the difference.

It seems like most counties have GIS information available online, and OnX seems to have snagged this data. They present it in a much quicker and more immediate way than any county's GIS site I have used. It's really slick, and it works everywhere I've been. On-road, off-road, everywhere. I mean I don't really NEED to know who owns the Dairy Queen in Possum Anus, WV, but it just amuses me that I can see that information at a glance.

I just got an email from OnX today announcing that they support navigation now. I will have to check that out.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have onX for hunting. Helps to know where property lines are. Have not tried it for mapping routes, etc..

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I was particularly interested, because there are a couple of places where the huge posted signs imply that the road is a private driveway or something. I paid for the land ownership feature so I could help sort that out. At least two of these are forest roads, no matter what the signs imply. A bunch of the gravel trails really are private drives though, and it's worth the extra to have an easy way of telling the difference.

It seems like most counties have GIS information available online, and OnX seems to have snagged this data. They present it in a much quicker and more immediate way than any county's GIS site I have used. It's really slick, and it works everywhere I've been. On-road, off-road, everywhere. I mean I don't really NEED to know who owns the Dairy Queen in Possum Anus, WV, but it just amuses me that I can see that information at a glance.

I just got an email from OnX today announcing that they support navigation now. I will have to check that out.
I live in southern nevada, the majority of it is blm, it's all pretty much open land use, free range, except Nellis AFB and area 51. Come across catlle gates every now and then, general rule is "if it's open leave it open, if it's closed, close it after you go through.
Sponsored