Sponsored

Gaia GPS is now on Android Auto... Finally.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Works great. Tried it out on the way to work this AM. Would have loved this about 2 weeks ago when I was running trails in Colorado.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have been using Gaia with my iPhone and Carplay to display the maps on my Jeep in dash screen., does the news imply that previously Gaia and an Android phone would not work as an app displayed on the Jeep infotainment system or is this an announcement of the addition of some specific features.

I have been assuming that everyone with an Andriod mobile was using Gaia just as I have been using Carplay.

Thank you.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Sure...weeks after the 50% off I almost jumped on is over :LOL:

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have been using Gaia with my iPhone and Carplay to display the maps on my Jeep in dash screen., does the news imply that previously Gaia and an Android phone would not work as an app displayed on the Jeep infotainment system or is this an announcement of the addition of some specific features.

I have been assuming that everyone with an Andriod mobile was using Gaia just as I have been using Carplay.

Thank you.
You're correct, prior to the update, you could not use Gaia within Android Auto.

Sponsored

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't tried Gaia yet, but am sick of waiting for onXmaps to offer an Android Auto compatible app. I just think it's ridiculous to have to use my phone or tablet for backroad navigation, when I have a perfectly good 8.4" screen already in the dash. (c'mon, Jeep, get on it!)
🙄

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I haven't tried Gaia yet, but am sick of waiting for onXmaps to offer an Android Auto compatible app. I just think it's ridiculous to have to use my phone or tablet for backroad navigation, when I have a perfectly good 8.4" screen already in the dash. (c'mon, Jeep, get on it!)
🙄
Its unfortunately Android (aka Google) that's the hold up. Jeep has nothing to do with it. Although some sort of Uconnect integration would be cool. Its significantly more complicated and expensive to build android apps compared to IOS. That's why you usually see Apple Car Play integration first. I'm sure OnX will eventually. I have been using Gaia with Android Auto for a little while now. It works well, although for my preference I still use a tablet for Gaia and the UConnect screen for Android Auto (usually Spotify, Google Maps, etc).

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Its unfortunately Android (aka Google) that's the hold up. Jeep has nothing to do with it. Although some sort of Uconnect integration would be cool. Its significantly more complicated and expensive to build android apps compared to IOS. That's why you usually see Apple Car Play integration first. I'm sure OnX will eventually. I have been using Gaia with Android Auto for a little while now. It works well, although for my preference I still use a tablet for Gaia and the UConnect screen for Android Auto (usually Spotify, Google Maps, etc).
I see that Onx shows up in Android Auto now, but just takes you to a coming soon page when you open it. Looking forward to trying it.

Gaia works, but lacks so much of what it could offer still.

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's news to me, and I'm going to go test it out today. Sounding promising:
https://www.race-dezert.com/home/on...o-other-major-updates-coming-soon-221160.html
The icon disappeared from my Android Auto, but thier documentation says it should be working. I opened a ticket with Onx support and this was their reply.

Thanks for reaching out. Android Auto capabilities were released for a small user base to test and a few bugs were found. Those have been corrected and the release of the feature should be starting again next week. Keep an eye out for the application in the coming weeks as you should be able to start using it shortly here. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out with.

Thank you!

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The icon disappeared from my Android Auto, but thier documentation says it should be working. I opened a ticket with Onx support and this was their reply.

Thanks for reaching out. Android Auto capabilities were released for a small user base to test and a few bugs were found. Those have been corrected and the release of the feature should be starting again next week. Keep an eye out for the application in the coming weeks as you should be able to start using it shortly here. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out with.

Thank you!

Yeah, thanks for that update. I wasn't able to get it working at all today, now I know why. The other question I have is, will this work across all 3 of the onX platforms (hunt, offroad, and backcountry), or is it only compatible with the offroad app... ?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone get an update that adds Android Auto ability to Onx yet? I'm starting to think this may have been a bad purchase.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Gaia had a recent update. They added some features.
Onx is still not working on Android Auto. Empty promises from them.
OSMand is now working with Android Auto.

I suspect that unless Onx has a huge updatecwith a ton of features, I won't renew their subscription. Gaia and Trails Offroad seem to be money better spent.
Sponsored