FYI found the cause of my death wobble

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
My jeep has a 2.5 inch aftermarket lift. it's developing a death wobble so i re-torqued all bolts and no help. so i called my nearest dealer to let them take a look just to save time. called, saying i have aftermarket lift and its ok for my to pay labor, confirmed and brought to dealer 8am on Tuesday. On Wednesday 5:56 pm, they called me, "oh we cannot work on your vehicle, since its not oem and not modified by us." I said, "ok, i'm ok to pay labor cost. " "no, we cant work on it, and it's ready for pick up, oh we close at 6. sorry" WTF is going on with jeep dealerships? i get nothing but bs story from them.

So i took it home today and on the way home picked up an large channellock from home depot and found the cause. it's the ball joint connecting to the pitman's arm, on the drag link, hope this helps.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Fix it and report back!

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Easily could be the culprit. Jack the font end up and wiggle one of the tires back and forth a little bit and see if there is any lateral play in the link.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What you did is a bandaid fix. You correctly identified the problem, but the problem is the actual joint inside. Tightening it down will help you short term, but the joint will continue to degrade. You can see Jim (owner of dynatrac) talk about this on way of life's recent video, he mentions specifically that joint. The solution would be a better quality drag link with better joints.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you did is a bandaid fix. You correctly identified the problem, but the problem is the actual joint inside. Tightening it down will help you short term, but the joint will continue to degrade. You can see Jim (owner of dynatrac) talk about this on way of life's recent video, he mentions specifically that joint. The solution would be a better quality drag link with better joints.

I only identify the culprit. To let the forum member know. No where did I say I fixed it. Still waiting for a synergy heavy duty drag link kit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Easily could be the culprit. Jack the font end up and wiggle one of the tires back and forth a little bit and see if there is any lateral play in the link.
There is none. Only loose point was here. Replacement in mail already.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Check it with the wheels on the ground, Jeep running and have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to see if there's any movement.

Up and down doesn't neccesarily condemn the linkage.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I only identify the culprit. To let the forum member know. No where did I say I fixed it. Still waiting for a synergy heavy duty drag link kit.
You're right, my apologies. For some reason, I thought you tightened that nut above the joint.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My jeep has a 2.5 inch aftermarket lift. it's developing a death wobble so i re-torqued all bolts and no help. so i called my nearest dealer to let them take a look just to save time. called, saying i have aftermarket lift and its ok for my to pay labor, confirmed and brought to dealer 8am on Tuesday. On Wednesday 5:56 pm, they called me, "oh we cannot work on your vehicle, since its not oem and not modified by us." I said, "ok, i'm ok to pay labor cost. " "no, we cant work on it, and it's ready for pick up, oh we close at 6. sorry" WTF is going on with jeep dealerships? i get nothing but bs story from them.

So i took it home today and on the way home picked up an large channellock from home depot and found the cause. it's the ball joint connecting to the pitman's arm, on the drag link, hope this helps.

Check it out at 4:14. Same thing. Mopar has a new part number with a new and improved inner drag link, but an aftermarket is probably even better, but then there is the warranty issue.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09

Yeap, two days ago I discovered mine was shot as well. These are crap ball joints! Were they going to check the ball joint? Did you know it was bad before or after the visit? Maybe getting an aftermarket link would be a better option than stock. I meant, aftermarket has to be better than stock. Good luck!

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the ball joints in these links able to be popped out in exchange for a better one...Strike that, might as well just get an aftermarket link at that point and upgrade the whole deal.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
But many have reported that their dealerships will not work on steering issues if it has aftermarket drag links, aftermarket track bar, aftermarket steering stabilizer, aftermarket non-Mopar lift, etc. So with all of the steering boxes - new and old dropping like flies, they won't touch it if your steering box is bad.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering box goes out..pop the OE bar back on. I should preface this with...You should of course know how to work on your own vehicle, so that you can restore to stock if something else fails, and or have a good dealership relationship.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Steering box goes out..pop the OE bar back on. I should preface this with...You should of course know how to work on your own vehicle, so that you can restore to stock if something else fails, and or have a good dealership relationship.
Good point, but that works for one or two parts, but many have an aftermarket, non-Mopar lift. That would be a pain. Plus, a good relationship depends 50% on the dealer. No matter how nice you are to the dealer, or how well you can walk on egg-shells, you may or may not even be able to have a good dealer relationship.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Let's say you have all these upgrades and your steering box goes bad and you need a new one. You know going in that warranty will not be honored and need one, paying out of pocket, they still won't touch it? WTF! What do you do at this point then?
Sponsored