FYI found the cause of my death wobble

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Let's say you have all these upgrades and your steering box goes bad and you need a new one. You know going in that warranty will not be honored and need one, paying out of pocket, they still won't touch it? WTF! What do you do at this point then?
Do the work yourself. I know most people don't work on their own rigs, but it is no more difficult than playing with legos, you just have to have the right tools an patience. It is a great skill to learn, and if you spend a lot of time off-road like I do, then you will find that it can get you out of a jam. Plus, it can save you 50% or more on modding and maintenance if you just have to buy the part and not pay for labor. You have to pay to play. If you are going to mod, then you best be ready to pay for repairs and not worry to much about the warranty.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Do the work yourself. I know most people don't work on their own rigs, but it is no more difficult than playing with legos, you just have to have the right tools an patience. It is a great skill to learn, and if you spend a lot of time off-road like I do, then you will find that it can get you out of a jam. Plus, it can save you 50% or more on modding and maintenance if you just have to buy the part and not pay for labor. You have to pay to play. If you are going to mod, then you best be ready to pay for repairs and not worry to much about the warranty.
I 100% agree with this. My fear is even though I have the torque wrench at the right Ft Lbs, it could snap off a bolt. Like the bolts on the steering stabilizer bracket that are connected to the axle. Cant just slip the bolt out and put in a new one like you can on a track bar. There are many examples on this forum of bolts breaking, stripping, etc. Use the search button for even more examples.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rame-mount-rock-sliders-rails-sidesteps.8835/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/striped-engine-mount-bolts.17852/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/factory-rubicon-rock-rails-stripped.8776/

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 9.59.56 AM.png

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and don't be conservative with the PB blaster..LOL

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I hear you. Anything I can do myself, I'll do it. But I don't expect them to pass the buck with defective/bad parts that have nothing to do with any mods or no mods at all, even the littlest of touches.

As far as this bad drag link end is concerned, I have a feeling they'll give me some push back just because I have Rubicon wheels and tires. I can almost guarantee they'll blame the larger tires for the added stress on the link.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you. Anything I can do myself, I'll do it. But I don't expect them to pass the buck with defective/bad parts that have nothing to do with any mods or no mods at all, even the littlest of touches.

As far as this bad drag link end is concerned, I have a feeling they'll give me some push back just because I have Rubicon wheels and tires. I can almost guarantee they'll blame the larger tires for the added stress on the link.
Agreed. They should just fix the part and move on. I've never understood the amount of push back some service departments give. It's like they don't want customers..LOL

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

For what its worth I think its just dealer discretion. My dealer replaced and diagnosed my steering gearbox and i have a lift, tires, control arms, stabilizers, track bars. And they didnt care one bit about all the aftermarket stuff. But another dealer did. Id just keep searching around different dealers if one gives you issues.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
For what its worth I think its just dealer discretion. My dealer replaced and diagnosed my steering gearbox and i have a lift, tires, control arms, stabilizers, track bars. And they didnt care one bit about all the aftermarket stuff. But another dealer did. Id just keep searching around different dealers if one gives you issues.
Yeah, unfortunately some of us don't have many choices. For me, it's picking the lesser of two evils.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hearing these horror stories about dealers is really disheartening and I almost feel bad for how ignorant some of them are. Is it due to a lack of good jobs, education or what?!. It's like these dealer reps feel like denying these claims ends up benefiting them directly. If they they think their a$$ would be missed the second they quit their job and moved on, they're wrong. There's always another sucker in line waiting to suck the corporate teat. It's obviously an issue from the top down, I just wish the customer facing reps would see this for what it is, and be an advocate for the customer and not a shill for FCA.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Hearing these horror stories about dealers is really disheartening and I almost feel bad for how ignorant some of them are. Is it due to a lack of good jobs, education or what?!. It's like these dealer reps feel like denying these claims ends up benefiting them directly. If they they think their a$$ would be missed the second they quit their job and moved on, they're wrong. There's always another sucker in line waiting to suck the corporate teat. It's obviously an issue from the top down, I just wish the customer facing reps would see this for what it is, and be an advocate for the customer and not a shill for FCA.
oh boy I was from Land Rover and Mercedes, I was complaining about them, until I bought a jeep and has to deal with Chrysler dealership.....

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeap, two days ago I discovered mine was shot as well. These are crap ball joints! Were they going to check the ball joint? Did you know it was bad before or after the visit? Maybe getting an aftermarket link would be a better option than stock. I meant, aftermarket has to be better than stock. Good luck!
they don't just sell the ball joint, the whole drag link is quoted $275 +tax. an aftermarket synergy drag link cost $300. no brainer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering box goes out..pop the OE bar back on. I should preface this with...You should of course know how to work on your own vehicle, so that you can restore to stock if something else fails, and or have a good dealership relationship.
they void your warranty if you have lift kits. taking the lift kit off is a bit of work.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
indeed, just do your own work. I change my own oil just to avoid Chrysler dealer at all cost. not even free oil change will lure me in. well, it's all part of the fun.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
According to Mopar website the drag link parts are the same part number regardless of model. Sport, Sahara, Rubicon 2 or 4 door all share the same drag link. If you have Rubicon size tires, then dealer can not use that excuse.

The drag link is sold as 4 separate pieces.

According to this thread, the pitman arm link has been updated with a new part #.

68258760AD instead of AB. Not sure if it has been improved or just a different supplier.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drag-link-loose-upper-bushing.23796/#post-566814

D0E31D84-B0FC-4638-A311-92CD4C4F4BB7.jpeg

C748B52C-94D2-4894-A76F-78BE53E8BF59.jpeg

Last edited:

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to Mopar website the drag link parts are the same part number regardless of model. Sport, Sahara, Rubicon 2 or 4 door all share the same drag link. If you have Rubicon size tires, then dealer can not use that excuse.

The drag link is sold as 4 separate pieces.

According to this thread, the pitman arm link has been updated with a new part #.

68258760AD instead of AB. Not sure if it has been improved or just a different supplier.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drag-link-loose-upper-bushing.23796/#post-566814

D0E31D84-B0FC-4638-A311-92CD4C4F4BB7.jpeg

C748B52C-94D2-4894-A76F-78BE53E8BF59.jpeg
That's the thing, we know there is no difference between the models as far as all the steering linkages, but they would try to tell me otherwise.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
this. My dad and brother laughed at me when I started asking them about how to do mods & maintenance & asked them to show me once my Jeep arrives. B/c all the times I could of learned and didn’t—now I want to know. . But hey a girls gotta learn sometime. Save me $ instead of having to pay people to do stuff for my Jeep.
Sponsored