Sponsored

Future JL owners - what mods / modifications do you foresee/planning (so far)?

Raysrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Charger
Hello first post here and wanted to add some food for thought.

It seems like a lot of Jeep vendors are going to take a hit from the JL's improvements and all that new content.
Off the top of my head a few that until the JL were handled by the aftermarket:
  • Grab bars
  • Roll cage
  • Aux switches
  • CB radio
  • LED head/tails/ambient
  • Bigger stock wheels/tires
That's just from what I have read here. I'm sure there are also big changes to the soft and hard tops that will challenge the vendors.

I’m curious what the future JL crowd thinks will be some popular mods based on what we’ve seen so far of the interior and exterior.

Also interested in what the vendors think about the JL and areas for improvement etc if any want to chime in. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Winch, bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, wheels, roof safari racks, bikini tops, light bars, seat covers, recovery gear, etc.

The Jeep Wrangler is arguably the most modded/personalized vehicle on the market, and I don't see that changing. There are a LOT of people who buy the base model so they can personalize the way they want it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It seems like a lot of Jeep vendors are going to take a hit from the JL's improvements and all that new content.
I'm glad Jeep is picking up the slack in some of these areas. It shows that they're finally taking pride in the Wrangler, something they didn't really do for the JK at all until pretty much the end of its run. A lot of the interior refinements aren't a surprise. I'm curious to see what Jeep is doing underneath with the suspension and powertrain. The JK has notoriously bad driveshafts, trackbar mount welds, TOB's, and balljoints. It'd be nice to not have to upgrade these things unless you go super crazy with a suspension.

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
With all the improvements I won't be doing much right away. It seems like the metal rubicon bumpers are going to be an option. I'll probably get those, slap a winch on and call it a day for awhile. I'd like to give the aftermarket guys a little bit of time to work the kinks out of their new products. I'll eventually do a lift and tires once I feel like I've gotten my monies worth out of the factory tires.

kboonekj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Rubicon
When I got into Jeeps I was 15 years old and the KJ and JK forums were just starting. The reason I fell in love was because of how much we could mod them from stock. My first Jeep was a KJ sport and I spent 2 years trialing and modding it to make it the way I wanted.

Looking at the 2018+ MY, there is nothing you can modify on the interior. You either buy that option from the dealer or you dont have it forever. With everything running off of a CAN or LIN BUS now a days, it really throws the modders out. Things that were as simple as tying into a 12v signal are gone. Things like replacing a stock item (like the bumpers) are gone or will be more expensive. You'd have to reincorporate every single sensor that comes stock or otherwise run with a CEL or limp mode.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Mount mirrors under A-pillar instead of on door.

Flush-cut memory foam mattress for back cargo area when back seats folded down. Also for pop-up camper if available.

Zero dust Ceramic brake pads

Coding for VIM on front Uconnect screen

Plastic dipping all non-controls/non-handles on dash and doors.

Plasti-dipping/wrapping bumpers and front skid plate.

Tallest softest tires possible for 90% road use.

Rust-proof spray coat undercarriage

Hopefully convert diesel to bio-diesel with French fry exhaust. Rudolph Deisel originally used Peanut Oil y'all.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
The standard changes; suspension, wheels/tires, maybe some of whatever AEV comes up with

SteveC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK, Ford Explorer
When I got into Jeeps I was 15 years old and the KJ and JK forums were just starting. The reason I fell in love was because of how much we could mod them from stock. My first Jeep was a KJ sport and I spent 2 years trialing and modding it to make it the way I wanted.

Looking at the 2018+ MY, there is nothing you can modify on the interior. You either buy that option from the dealer or you dont have it forever. With everything running off of a CAN or LIN BUS now a days, it really throws the modders out. Things that were as simple as tying into a 12v signal are gone. Things like replacing a stock item (like the bumpers) are gone or will be more expensive. You'd have to reincorporate every single sensor that comes stock or otherwise run with a CEL or limp mode.
If anything Jeeps have remained more bare bones and easier to work on relative to all others by a far greater amount. It seems to me that Jeep has decided to just give people more of the comfort features at the top end. It will make it harder to work on, but if you're someone that likes to do so you would just get the base model anyway.

I hear what you're saying about all the extra sensors and electronics (especially the required ones like backup camera) but I don't think that means replacing things like stock bumpers is going away anytime soon. If you're referring to the LED strip on the fenders or parking sensors. It's not like the Wrangler never had some of the lighting/turn signals on the fenders before.

Most of the interior mods in past Jeeps have been less about adding electronic wizardry anyway and more about securing the inside from theft/ weather/offroad elements. One of the first things I'll look to add is a locker and weatherproofing since I ride without doors/roof most of the year.

I'm still waiting to see what the base model looks like and how much is left "on the table" to work on. If it comes with the option for prewired CB i'll for sure be checking that box.

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
  • Grab bars
  • Roll cage
  • Aux switches
  • CB radio
  • LED head/tails/ambient
  • Bigger stock wheels/tires
I would argue adding things like pre-wired CB and aux pod actually helps the aftermarket in a big way.

Think of how much easier it makes for everyday Jeep owners to add a CB radio, winch, light bars, etc. who may not have the technical knowhow or want to go to the time/effort of wiring for CB or buying and installing a switch pod.

It's not that difficult for most of us but that extra step out of the way makes all of these accessories plug and play for the vendors.

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Most of the changes I'll do right away are not affected by the JL improvements to the stock vehicle. Winch, bumpers, rocker guards, light bar, lift, wheels.

The things you mention (roll cage, CB, solid grab bars) would have come much later if at all so I'm very happy Jeep has taken care of that. I also wouldn't be touching the interior for the most part so the big bump in quality (or so it seems) is great news.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Winch, bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, wheels, roof safari racks, bikini tops, light bars, seat covers, recovery gear, etc.

The Jeep Wrangler is arguably the most modded/personalized vehicle on the market, and I don't see that changing. There are a LOT of people who buy the base model so they can personalize the way they want it.
That will be me. Buying mine bone stock minus the hardtop.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
First mod I plan on doing will definitely be better tires. Then it's onto locking the diffs which is a must, a lift, rock sliders, upgraded bumpers, trimming the fenders. Maybe in the future getting some PRP seats for the front and eventually the back. Anybody on here had experience with PRP? From what I've personally heard they have been mostly positive.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I'll be doing the lowest height lift (LCG) possible with 37" BFG KO2s, & new wheels,. Will do front and rear bumpers, winch, and flat fenders and some type of safari bed rack (getting a JT not a JL).
Sponsored