Sponsored

Future JL owners - what mods / modifications do you foresee/planning (so far)?

MrJeepNut

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ-7, 1997 TJ, 2018 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If they have something akin to the JK Rubicon Recon package, with steel bumpers, stout sliders, and HD diff covers, or make those options available from the factory a la carte, then there isn't much left that I would add. Probably a 2" coil lift (hopefully they continue the 2" Mopar kit), 35s, custom wheels, winch. Probably some Currie control arms and steering linkages eventually. Maybe a cold air intake.
Sponsored

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
Hello first post here and wanted to add some food for thought.

It seems like a lot of Jeep vendors are going to take a hit from the JL's improvements and all that new content.
Depends what type of product. Obviously anyone selling grab bars and roll cages will take a bigger hit. Probably same goes for lighting (with the exception of light bars). But that's a tiny percentage of Jeep mods.

Lifted with more rubber, winch and bumpers (my first mods) is a formula that's not going anywhere. As long as they keep the JL easy to work on for people to DIY 95% of the mods themselves it will be just as aftermarket friendly as the JK.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Rear Receiver Hitch, Flat Four Harness ; Front Receiver Hitch ; Side Mount Jerry Can Carriers ; Tail Gate Storage; Spare Tire Storage Tray. Racks for Hard Top. Tall Skinny Tires 33x9.50 . (Gearing ordered from Factory )
2Dr base, Manual, hard top, A/C 3:73 gearing as the Beginning

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Now that we've seen much more of the JL, what do you guys foresee modifying?

If that high line fender seen on the black Rubicon prototype is a Rubicon-only feature, that'll be my first mod.

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
1 tons, 40s on beadlocks, slight lift, stubby front bumper with stinger and winch, rear bumper and tire carrier, rock sliders, snorkel, arb fridge/freezer, suspension seats, rocker guards, flat fenders, cam cans, on board air, and more.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
DD, but likely will do :

1) Winch (recessed if possible)
2) Bolt-in sport cage (primarily just for added safety on highway... one time use is fine)
3) Small budget boost (1.5" -- so probably just a spacer, also to help any drop from the winch weight) w/ 33's, OEM wheels (think Rubi might have 33's stock now though -- so may just keep those).
4) Onboard air (probably just underhood ARB unit)

Honestly I think that will A) keep it a great DD and maintain fuel economy/range, and B) not reduce performance on-road, C) Still be very capable and safe on-road/off-road on light duty trails and not get stuck.

I have my 2 door JK for crazy shit, so this one will stay mostly a mall crawler with the occasional 4-5-rated trail. Wheel base goes super far on these things.. very little lift and some 33's do just fine.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For me, I'll stick with the 33's, but might put a 2" lift on it for a better break-over angle. I won't want to mess up the stock Rubicon ride/handling, though. Soft doors will be one of the first mods, followed by a sun shade, splash guards behind the front wheels only, grab handles, if necessary, although it looks like there are similar handles on the B-pillar as on the A-pillar, so they might be unnecessary. There is a good chance I'll put a competition winch (light weight) on the front bumper, and maybe a short light bar or couple of cube spot lights on the front, depending on how good or bad the stock lighting turns out to be. In other words, it will wind up similarly equipped to my JK. I'll also put extra skid plates on any areas I deem to be particularly vulnerable. On my JK, that's the oil pan and the charcoal (?) canister toward the rear. I might also consider a cat-back exhaust to enhance the sound of the 3.6. That should be fun with the manual transmission. I'll also get some seat covers, if side airbags don't prevent it, as they do on the JK.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Good call on the sun shade... I will certainly be doing that (spiderwebshade) as well. I have it on my TJ and JK and it's great. Seat cover manufacturers will have to adjust, as all JL's now have side air bags standard. I was not impressed with the synthetic winch lines here in AZ, so I'll just be going with the good ol' steel route.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
The biggest mods are going to be to my garage and not my JLU. Gotta clear out enough space so I can park the Jeep in the garage next to the family minivan so that I can practically leave the top and doors off without having to worry about squirrels and birds crapping on my upholstery overnight.

Also gotta get the garage to a place where its significantly less hospitable to field mice and chipmunks.

gjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 YJ, 1997 TJ, 2007 JKUL, 2023 JLURXR (order)
Figure out how to delete the black plastic portion of the flares so they look like this...

IMG_4672.PNG

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna throw some tube fenders on. Don't mind the factory LED turn signals in the fenders but clearly with tube fenders I'll need to move them to the grille. Also front bumper bar and nd some 35's.

Basically like this. Image by @TTEChris in the other thread.

37215128375_d7ec17c03d_c-jpg.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I still haven't decided if I want a 2dr or 4dr
2dr:
2-3" Lift, 35's, Flat fenders, Stubby bumpers, Winch, Tire Carrier, Gears
4dr:
3-4" Lift(With whatever else is needed to make it work: Driveshaft/exhaust relocation etc.), 37's, the rest would be the same as above with the addition of axle mods if/where they are needed.

On my JK's I always pieced together my lift kits, but I have a feeling I won't have that option for a while when the JL comes out. My first JK I tried at least 5 different suspension setups before I ended up happy with it(Ended up with 14" travel custom valved coilovers, RK 3 link long arm, Hydro assist and a bunch of other stuff.)

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just sent an email to ORO to see if there's going to be an AiROCK for the JL/JLU.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
JLU
  • Ursa Minor popup-tent. They should have a JL model ready by late Q1 or early Q2
  • Remove rear seats, trim, carpet etc
  • Winch
  • Slide out stove and refrigerator
  • Dual battery (very curious about the heavy duty electrical option)
  • Stiffer springs to cary the weight
With luck I can use the steel bumper factory option. Also, can stick with the stock 33"s

jeep-camper-package-hp.png

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
The biggest mods are going to be to my garage and not my JLU. Gotta clear out enough space so I can park the Jeep in the garage next to the family minivan so that I can practically leave the top and doors off without having to worry about squirrels and birds crapping on my upholstery overnight.

Also gotta get the garage to a place where its significantly less hospitable to field mice and chipmunks.
Speaking of mods to the garage I'm really hoping to not need to install a hardtop hoist for the JLU. It's got to be broken up in more than 3 parts and shed weight for this to be possible.
Sponsored