Sponsored

Funny dealer response when trying to get a matched deal

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I emailed a local dealer trying to get close to the 8.25% below invoice offer I received from one on the other side of the country and here is his response:

I looked over what you sent me and to be very blunt and honest, someone had to have made a mistake. There is no way to buy an Jeep for $4,400 below invoice, I think the person quoting the number took the 8.25% off the invoice instead of the MSRP. Usually being 4% below invoice is the max anyone is willing to go, so check with them and be sure they have not made a mistake because when they catch it at time of delivery it will surely cost you more then.

I get that lower volume dealers can't compete, but to be adamant that a mistake was made or that they're fudging something is BS. It's interesting (and frustrating) how out of touch some of these dealers are with their competition.
Sponsored

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed a local dealer trying to get close to the 8.25% below invoice offer I received from one on the other side of the country and here is his response:

I looked over what you sent me and to be very blunt and honest, someone had to have made a mistake. There is no way to buy an Jeep for $4,400 below invoice, I think the person quoting the number took the 8.25% off the invoice instead of the MSRP. Usually being 4% below invoice is the max anyone is willing to go, so check with them and be sure they have not made a mistake because when they catch it at time of delivery it will surely cost you more then.

I get that lower volume dealers can't compete, but to be adamant that a mistake was made or that they're fudging something is BS. It's interesting (and frustrating) how out of touch some of these dealers are with their competition.
"If I took anything less than invoice I'd be losing money on the deal."

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
"If I took anything less than invoice I'd be losing money on the deal."
We had a dealer tell me he’s doing he a favor selling it at msrp and If he did the tread lightly discount id owe him one

Brett

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What dealer gave you 8.25% below invoice? Think I'll give them a try.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Damn... all this talk of 8% under invoice makes me re-think the deal I made which comes out to around 4.8% below invoice.

Does anyone think it would be easier to get close to 8% on a more expensive jeep? I mean, taking 8% off invoice on a $55k MSRP JLUR probably would leave a dealer making more money than if they took 8% off a $42k MSRP JLR. I feel like the cheaper the jeep, the less off invoice you’ll be able to get.

Anyone think I should try to renegotiate? Problem is, I’m really not willing to walk away at this point (not gonna find the jeep I want in stock anywhere) and in mid/late March I was happy with the deal I made.

OP
OP

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The nature of a percentage means it’s the same relative amount off. The Jeep I’m looking at stickers at $54k. I wouldn’t accept 4.8% below invoice when other people are getting better deals, but that’s just me.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The nature of a percentage means it’s the same relative amount off.
I know. But as the MSRP gets smaller, the amount of money they’re making gets smaller too.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to rationalize why all of a sudden these great deals are popping up.

The Jeep I’m looking at stickers at $54k. I wouldn’t accept 4.8% below invoice when other people are getting better deals, but that’s just me.
Right, but if you ordered your jeep tomorrow agreeing on 8% below invoice, made a deposit, then waited a month or 5 weeks, only to see people getting 10-11% below invoice right before you took delivery, what would you do? Walk away, wait another month?

OP
OP

Scott2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I know. But as the MSRP gets smaller, the amount of money they’re making gets smaller too.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just trying to rationalize why all of a sudden these great deals are popping up.

Right, but if you ordered your jeep tomorrow agreeing on 8% below invoice, made a deposit, then waited a month or 5 weeks, only to see people getting 10-11% below invoice right before you took delivery, what would you do? Walk away, wait another month?
This is purely speculative, but I don’t think those going 8+% below invoice are making any money on the individual units, regardless of price. I suspect they’re going after FCA bonuses for volume.

For a 2% delta I probably would leave it alone. As we look paying over an extra grand, then it may be time to renegotiate.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That’s why I tend to not read these threads. Bought 2 JL’s from the dealer I have been buying jeeps from for 10 years. Got a fair deal for California, didn’t have to travel out of state and the dealer takes care of me for any issues. Could I have gotten a % or 2 more elsewhere, probably but you have to make the deal you are comfortable with that gets you what you want. Enjoy the Jeep, that’s the important part.

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
I'm all for supporting the local dealer but they pretty much laughed at me about buying a Wrangler below invoice.
I'm in MA and even went to one of the supposed lower cost dealers that were willing to deal and got frustrated with the run around.
I saw a post from Criswell Jeep in MD for 7% below invoice and another 1% for tread lightly. sent them an email and they got back to me the same day. I sent in my deposit for an order on 3/24 and my jeep should be there by this weekend.
I'll save thousands of dollars and get to take a mini vacation in DC with the family.
Overall a great deal.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree. If you buy a Wrangler at below MSRP around here you've really done something miraculous.

I keep seeing these dealers offering 5% or more below invoice, but I will believe it when I see the signed paperwork after the buyer leaves with the Jeep. Lots of dealers will tell you anything to get you in the door. That's the #1 rule of sales...get the customers' hands on the product and then they'll be hooked.
Sponsored