Sponsored

Funny cartoon but true [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Just wondering.. has anyone tried harnessing the power potential generated by the constant movement of ocean waves/tides for electricity? Not sure if something like that is easily possible, but always thought it seemed like an obvious source of power. Plus, the earth spins at 1,000MPH while traveling with our solar system at nearly 500k MPH around the center of our galaxy.. harness that momentum somehow. Regenerative braking for planets!

I obviously don't know shit about science and physics, but enjoy an interesting idea even if it isn't very practical at the moment ;)

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Just wondering.. has anyone tried harnessing the power potential generated by the constant movement of ocean waves/tides for electricity? Not sure if something like that is easily possible, but always thought it seemed like an obvious source of power. Plus, the earth spins at 1,000MPH while traveling with our solar system at nearly 500k MPH around the center of our galaxy.. harness that momentum somehow. Regenerative braking for planets!

I obviously don't know shit about science and physics, but enjoy an interesting idea even if it isn't very practical at the moment ;)
Tidal power generation has absolutely been tried and used in a few places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power

The neo-luddites are welcome to poke fun at alternates to petroleum, but the fact remains that one day the oil will be gone. Now is the time to be experimenting and exploring for long term solutions. I'd rather build the bridge before I drive over the chasm.

Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
The neo-luddites are welcome to poke fun at alternates to petroleum, but the fact remains that one day the oil will be gone. Now is the time to be experimenting and exploring for long term solutions. I'd rather build the bridge before I drive over the chasm.
I think most would agree with finding new and better sources of fuel. I think many just don't think we should turn our economy on its head to do so...

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I think most would agree with finding new and better sources of fuel. I think many just don't think we should turn our economy on its head to do so...
What makes you think we are turning the economy on its head for this?

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys

Yep, tried it. Now my Jeep won't run anymore and the dealership is giving me a hard time with my warranty claim!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yep, tried it. Now my Jeep won't run anymore and the dealership is giving me a hard time with my warranty claim!
"Sir, your Wrangler's wading depth is only 2 1/2 feet, but you were submerged 15 feet on an ocean beach trying to.. recharge your 4XE battery? Have you considered tethering to a lightning rod instead?"

🤣

frankorego

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR Hard Rock (sold) 2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Manager

I obviously don't know shit about science and physics but enjoy an interesting idea even if it isn't very practical at the moment ;)
I lived in Hawaii for 10 years. We have had many experiments over the years.

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-wave-produced-electricity-online-hawaii.html

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
“Have you tried toggling the power switch on and off?”

“Are parental controls still active or did you already log out of your teenager’s driver profile?”

“If you would like to record a message for Elon press 1 and then the pound key.”

“We’re sorry all operators are busy now. We can call you back in 183 minutes if you punch in your phone number. You will not lose your spot in the queue.”

“Hello this is ERCOT. Our natural gas plants are down as well. Please drive to El Paso where the city is connected to the national grid if you would like to recharge your vehicle.”

“because you did not purchase our monthly telematics subscription you will have to wait until our help desk in the Philippines comes on line later this afternoon. Please call us back.”

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Yes, hydroelectric, been around a very long time. Funny thing is if you research the future of power sources you will find that electric is going to be short lived. It most likely won't have even a quarter of the lifespan petroleum did.

They (the so called experts)say that hydrocarbon is the future, not electric.