Sponsored

Fun Little Jeep Story...For the Old and the New Owners... Cherish it!

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I remember when I got my first Jeep (it was a 2000 TJ that I bought and had many owners and looked like hell - as most TJ's due to abuse). Here is a pic of it when I got it, and right beside after I restored it. It had rust all over the frame and on fenders. I wanted to learn about the jeep and I knew what I was getting myself into - but little did I know what was about to happen.

beforeafter.png

I drove it around for a few years after the restoration, but there wasn't a single thing I could do and was starting to get bored with it. So in summer of 2017, I sold it. I didn't think it would be a bad departure, but I was wrong. When I saw it drive away, I kept thinking of all the time and weekends I spent on this thing, putting my heart and soul into it. Granted, I taught myself EVERYTHING (as I didn't have a dad when I was younger due to an accident) so I had to learn it whether it was the right way, or wrong way.

But even moreso, when it drove away, I then realized how much I loved Jeeps. See, when i was working on it, I got to hate it as there was always a leak or transmission issue or something to ruin my day. Little did I know I was growing a passion for it and now I kinda miss doing those things to it. It needs you, and you need it.

Fast forward to today...

I got my 2018 Sport S and started modding it already.

20180707_135810.jpg

I didn't want to buy the Sahara as I didn't want the leather seats and stuff (I just traded in a 60k BMW 5 series which can imagine had everything) and didn't need the Rubicon because I never will take it off road (Maybe I will, but not enough to warrant spending the extra money just for the axles and suspension and low gears). The Sport S in my mind (after a year of looking and comparing, was the perfect one as it has everything you need with all the power stuff and nothing you don't) that way you can mod it to your liking without all the factory stuff being done.

So I leave you with this if you have a jeep. ENJOY every minute of it. Don't worry about not getting the upgraded model as you can save money and do it yourself and learn something in the meantime. Don't just buy the Sahara or Rubicon because your friends will think you are cool, buy it because that's what you want. Most jeep owners don't look bad/down upon jeepers who drive base models as we are all family. If they do, then they are posers and don't know the true meaning of owning one of these awesome vehicles. Believe me, if you start doing the work yourself, you will grow more love for your jeep than you ever would have.

I hope everyone has an amazing day and when you go out to your garage, just take it in and smell the roses. Not everyone gets to do that!

Dustin
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Pre-restoration pic still looks fantastic! Welcome back into the Jeep fold as well. I hope to see you out on the road one of these days.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Good story!

One of the benefits of keeping a vehicle for a long time is that you learn a lot about it. Even if you aren't a master mechanic, you learn the quirks and known problem areas. At 50+ years old, my 2017 JK was the first new vehicle I'd ever owned. Mostly because I wanted one and the used ones were almost as much as new in my area. Before that I would buy vehicles with 60k on them and then drive them until they would go no more. I just scrapped a Camry I paid 4k for, and drove it for 11 years. I got to know that car very well. The Jeep forums are great for learning, and help me quickly get up to speed on any issues. Additionally for a modern vehicle they are still relatively simple by comparison to other new cars. I like that simplicity.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
This forum has taught me more about grammar, spelling, and typos than high school ever did. These people are vicious at times!:devil:
I think I've become more picky about that than any of my English teachers ever were.

Sponsored

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
This forum has taught me more about grammar, spelling, and typos than high school ever did. These people are vicious at times!:devil:
I'm not a grammar Nazi, I try to just let things slide as I realize as I get older, my spelling isn't what it used to be. However, being a music guy it gets me when people refer to the low notes as "base". It's BASS! Spelled like the fish. I know it doesn't seem right, but English be all complicated at times. Then there was another thread I came across where some guy kept referring to a "Lawyer" as a "Lower", or something equally jacked up. Maybe it was a dig at the ethical standards of lawyers, but that one was still painful. Hey I come here for the Jeeps, not the Engrish resson.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.....

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Always wanted a Jeep, but felt needed to be “practical”. Turned 50 recently and dream never left. Said f-it and went out and got one month ago. Smiling everyday! no regrets, just wish would have done sooner. Off to off-road class on Saturday. No plans for any major off road in future, maybe that is my age, but thought I’d put it through a little for fun. Loved your story jeepJL18!

Now just to get California Bay Area Jeeps to wave...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
A2F606B5-27C3-40F2-83D7-F3B82EF9A1A3.jpeg
70EE506E-70EB-49EA-9C4D-7B90CBBB1ED4.jpeg
When I was about 15, I did some trading with my uncle and got a 45CJ2A that he brought back from the dead. I rigged up some seats out of a ford maverick or something out of a junkyard. Kept that little Jeep for years. Later on, something came up and needed money... at the urging of my wife the little Jeep was sold. Fast forward to today, I have a new Jeep and no wife.:cwl:

DirtyTj

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On its way 2018 JLUR in granite crystal with most everything but smokers group and dual top.2003 Sahara ARB air lockers front and rear, G2 Dana 60 in the rear, Dana 30 with RCV shafts Upfront 4.88 gearing.
A2F606B5-27C3-40F2-83D7-F3B82EF9A1A3.jpeg
70EE506E-70EB-49EA-9C4D-7B90CBBB1ED4.jpeg
When I was about 15, I did some trading with my uncle and got a 45CJ2A that he brought back from the dead. I rigged up some seats out of a ford maverick or something out of a junkyard. Kept that little Jeep for years. Later on, something came up and needed money... at the urging of my wife the little Jeep was sold. Fast forward to today, I have a new Jeep and no wife.:cwl:
That's how I lost my 67 Scout. I now have a1955 Cj-5 I've owned for almost 30 years and never driven. When my current wife complains I remind her that it has out lasted one wife, it will out last her.

Sponsored

Ellbee

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Granite, 2004 Jeep Unlimited LJ Black
I would not take any amount of money for my 04 LJ. He ain’t that pretty, but have a ton of great memories with it. Hopefully it will help keep my JL off the beach. Will use JL for extended road trips and more memories.

C7139DA4-02A2-449F-8DB6-6E285ED1D7F4.jpeg

63BDD254-8A8B-42EC-A94C-EBE9271E86D8.jpeg

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Always wanted a Jeep, but felt needed to be “practical”. Turned 50 recently and dream never left. Said f-it and went out and got one month ago. Smiling everyday! no regrets, just wish would have done sooner. Off to off-road class on Saturday. No plans for any major off road in future, maybe that is my age, but thought I’d put it through a little for fun. Loved your story jeepJL18!

Now just to get California Bay Area Jeeps to wave...
Did the same thing. Lol.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Loved the story. I loved my old Jeep but I always wished I’d gotten the Rubicon. So yes, buy that one because you will be cool. :devil:

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Two things I really love about this forum, soaking up information and hearing the stories. Although this is my third Jeep (it has been over 10 years since I owned one), it is my first Wrangler. I can't wait to create my own stories as soon as I get it. Thanks to all for making this wait as bearable as possible

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
9FCF3116-8135-40D2-A029-BEDE2BFFE49A.jpeg
5E08212D-3E72-4792-A0A3-B2E6106E36F6.jpeg
AEEADC17-1E8F-46A0-AFCA-ACF560F4B7C8.jpeg
5DB7AE55-78E6-4FDE-BC83-F1B34411E62E.jpeg
Got an ‘89 YJ back in 1997 when I joined the Army—stationed in Hawaii. It got me around and served me well. We sold it in 2002 and the wife an I have always been drawn back to the Wrangler. Both got JLs.
Sponsored