Fun Factor 2 door vs 4

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Just a shout out to those that have had experience in both the 2 door and 4 door Wranglers and their experiences with each.

I realize the pro's and cons of each body style while on the trail. But I havent heard about the fun factor of each style.

I currently have a 2 door TJ and it's just an absolute hoot to drive. Easy to maneuver, go fast in, just plain zippy to drive. I really want a new JL 4 door for the room but it really bothers me that I might loose the fun factor of the 2 door.

SO, how much (if any) of the fun factor is lost with a 4 door purchase?
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
  • I drove a TJ for 10 years.
  • I didn't want a 4dr JL
  • I now have a 4dr JL
  • it is just as fun as a 2dr
  • If you have kids or just want more room than a 2 dr, get 4dr
  • Took mine on a 400 mile round trip this weekend, with my brothers, 2dr would have been much less fun
  • 2dr IMO is for when you have no more than 2 people, 2dr shouldn't even have a back seat.
  • and lastly...I have no idea how I got this post in bullet format and am now lmao at my desk

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yeah I get that on a long trip the 4 door would be more fun with more passengers/cargo space and the reason I'm likely going that route, but I was referring more to the fun in driving the rig itself even if or especially driving by yourself.

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
It's a Jeep, fun is built in. This is my first jeep in over 20 years, have to say when I didn't have a jeep it was just a vehicle to get me around. I'm actually excited to drive again.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
The JLU is a blast to drive
2dr is more maneuverable and maybe a bit peppier, it is shorter and lighter than the 4.
Haven't been in a Wrangler in 10 years myself, and I will agree, I love driving again
The JLU with that 8 speed auto has some balls and its road manners are much improved
My passengers were impressed with it this weekend too

Don't worry about it being less fun than the 2dr...it's not

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
IF the only person in the Jeep will usually be yourself (and/or a significant other), 2 door is the way to go (IMHO).

• It is definitely peppier- even with 37" tires my JLR 3.6L gets up and goes better than the JLUs I rent when traveling (I do realize part of that is the Rubicon comes with a 4.10 rear gear- the rental JLUs have a 3.45 rear gear).
  • With the rear seat removed, there is a good amount of storage space. My wife and I can easily pack everything we need for a week long trip to the cabin (my wife always has at least one decent sized box of knick-knacks to take along, and I'm usually taking some hunting gear up).
  • Although the turning radius of the 2 door is only a couple/few feet smaller than the 4 door, you definitely notice it on the road and definitely off-road. Give me a 17' space and I can do a u-turn.
  • Two-doors just look better (yes, completely a matter of subjective opinion- but especially with the top and doors off it is almost an objective statement of fact that the 2 door looks better). The term I use for four doors is "StationWrangler."
IF you have kids to haul around (or plan on taking more than one coworker to lunch on a regular basis), then yeah- the four door makes a lot of sense. In fact, in that scenario I would argue four doors are a must.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've had both. and the 2 door is by far more fun to drive and take around. Like at least 10 fold more fun.

Even for roadtrips the 2 door is so much fun. There's something about organizing your gear in the limited space, plus on a roof rack, the feeling of being in a classic jeep, kinda minimalistic, simple, no fuss, etc.

I would only give up my 2 door if I had 3 kids, or 2 kids + a dog.

The 2 door is so much more impractical than the 4 door, like 10 fold lol. Jeeps have very low payload, so the limited space + pathetic payload + low towing capacity makes the 2 door JL perhaps one of the most, if not the most impractical vehicle out there. Even the mini-cooper can tow more and has a higher payload capacity. Assuming you believe FCA numbers (which I don't). But since this is about fun factor, 2 door beats it big time.

Also the 2 doors age much better. Timeless design imo. Look at a 4 door JK and they're starting to look fugly. more like a schoolbus. While the 2 door JKs look as cool as the JLs. You also have to put at least 35s on a 4 door so it doesn't look out of proportion, and so you don't get high centered all the time.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Only you can decide what’s fun. The view from the drivers seat looks the same in both, it’s the walking away “look back” that is different. When I first came from TJ’s to JK’s I was immensely disappointed. The TJ was a Jeep, the JK was a car shaped like a Jeep. Far too refined and car like for me so I sold it within 6 months and went on to buy another TJ. A few years later I bought another JK and only kept it a year or so. I just didn’t love it like I did my TJ’s. This is my last attempt. I have a 2 door Rubicon 6 speed on order, and if this doesn’t adequately replace the TJ’s, I’m done forever with new Jeeps.

Trust your gut, if you think even a little that a two door is better, don’t try and talk yourself into a four door.

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
I've owned both and still have a YJ and a JKU. We are about to trade the JKU in on a JL 2 Door Rubicon. I like my JKU but I like all the 2 doors I've owned much better. It's just a feel that's hard to explain. The JKU to me just never felt the same. I'll have to say that every time I drive it I miss the 2 door feel.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
definetly depends on what you want to use it for , i've had 3 4dr jeeps and now my first 2dr... i'll never go back. So much more "lively" and perfect for my uses but i also have a grand cherokee so i didn't need the room .

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The TJ was a Jeep, the JK was a car shaped like a Jeep. Far too refined and car like for me so I sold it within 6 months and went on to buy another TJ. A few years later I bought another JK and only kept it a year or so. I just didn’t love it like I did my TJ’s. This is my last attempt. I have a 2 door Rubicon 6 speed on order, and if this doesn’t adequately replace the TJ’s, I’m done forever with new Jeeps.
I could not agree with this statement more... I owned a 2003 TJ for a few years, and was not even tempted by the JK. The straight six 4.0L was just a rock, and that Jeep would go places my buddy (who owned a beautiful 2 door JK) couldn't get to. If they could put the 3.6L and 8A transmission into a TJ body, that would be the ultimate Jeep IMO.

That said, when I got behind the wheel of the JLR and hit the accelerator, I thought "Okay, this is a different kinda Jeep!" I still want to own another TJ someday, but the JL two door is definitely an awesome Jeep.

The Jeep I miss...
Jeep Wrangler JL Fun Factor 2 door vs 4 jeep after

The current Jeep that makes me smile every time I look at it...
Jeep Wrangler JL Fun Factor 2 door vs 4 200718 Jee

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i test drove a 4 door, but came home with a 2 door. the main reason for the 2 door was the cost and it was a base model without all the bells and whistles. also 99% of the time its just me driving. i have taking the jeep on a couple of road trips ranging 400 to 1800 mile round trips. and its my daily driver. its a comfortable riding jeep and the 3.6 / 8 spd auto is a great combo. eventually i'll hit the trails with the jl and it'll handle very well due to the size and manuevalablity just as it is on the road.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
2 door is by far more fun to drive and take around. Like at least 10 fold more fun.
I agree. Even trying to fit more groceries than I should, I'm having more fun. The kids can get in the back seat, even had a couple grown men back there, nothing but compliments. So it does serve a purpose.
The current Jeep that makes me smile every time I look at it...
200718 Jeep.jpg
Can you tell me what kind of top is that?

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Look at my sig line ...

2 door 4 sure
Sponsored