First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I’ve always been a Fumoto user and have nothing but good stuff to say about them. However - I did opt for the Valvomax on my JLUR at the last oil change a couple of weeks ago.

I know the likelihood of hitting the valve while rock crawling is slim to none, but I felt that the Valvomax being stainless instead of brass would be more likely to survive a hit. Storing the hose is a non-issue for me. I just put it in a ziplock bag and drop it in the space between the battery and the fender. It won’t get lost, and it’ll always be with the vehicle if for some reason I should need it away from home.
The "...space between the battery and fender..." Never heard of that. Do you zip tie it in or trust it won't wall out?
Sponsored

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
I had installed one of these for a little bit, two things bothered me about them. 1... there seemed to be almost a quart of oil retained in the pan because the threads seem to extend into the pan. And 2...I don't feel that any debris or wear material that settles on the pan gets adequately flushed out. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but pulling the plug it just safer and easier to me.
A whole quart seems like a lot more than they would really hold back... I could see a couple ounces, but I admit I never thought of that. Nor the flushing out of wear/tear debris.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Ya man, if you have a magnet stuck to cast aluminum, it isn't aluminum. Lol.
...someone way smarter (and I do mean way smarter) than I am.......

I knew they existed!

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
The Fumoto oil drain valve causes very very little to be retained in the oil pan when you drain the oil.. Yes, I have verified this...

As @melendez69, I keep a magnet attached to my JL's oil pan.

The magnet I use ..... dimensions are 3.93"L x 1.45"W x 0.43"H. The magnet has a rubberized coating.

The magnet in this foot print, fits well on the bottom of the 3.6L oil pan.

I remove the magnet, after the motor is turned off, and just prior to dropping the oil.

After the oil is dropped, the magnet goes back on the oil pan.

Magnet.JPG
So... you daily drive with this magnet on your oil pan, or just apply it around the time you are doing your oil change? Sorry, I wasn't clear reading what you wrote - but I'm mostly an idiot. :)

Reactions: AFD

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So... you daily drive with this magnet on your oil pan, or just apply it around the time you are doing your oil change? Sorry, I wasn't clear reading what you wrote - but I'm mostly an idiot. :)
The magnet is on at all times; I remove prior to changing the oil when it's nice & warmed up. When done, magnet goes back on... similar to what @Rhinebeck01 posted.

You're not the idiot... an idiot would think a magnet could stick to "cast" aluminum (see above).

Sponsored

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
The magnet is on at all times; I remove prior to changing the oil when it's nice & warmed up. When done, magnet goes back on... similar to what @Rhinebeck01 posted.

You're not the idiot... an idiot would think a magnet could stick to "cast" aluminum (see above).
Thanks... do you happen to have a link to that rubberized magnet? I'm not seeing one quite like that on Amazon even with Google Lens.

Edit: are these considered gun magnet mounts?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The "...space between the battery and fender..." Never heard of that. Do you zip tie it in or trust it won't wall out?
It won’t fall out. It’s actually sitting in the tray with the battery. It’s kinda hard to explain, but I can snap a pic later.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks... do you happen to have a link to that rubberized magnet? I'm not seeing one quite like that on Amazon even with Google Lens.
The one I purchased is no longer available.. Just search on Amazon using the words "Gun Magnet".
You want one that is coated with rubberized coating, holds 40 - 55# and with measurements very close to this... 3.93"L x 1.45"W x 0.43"H.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I had installed one of these for a little bit, two things bothered me about them. 1... there seemed to be almost a quart of oil retained in the pan because the threads seem to extend into the pan. And 2...I don't feel that any debris or wear material that settles on the pan gets adequately flushed out. I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but pulling the plug it just safer and easier to me.
Oh boy, brilliant thinking. Certainly not a whole quart, but I get the picture. And potentiel debris holding on top of that…. Thanks! I’ll keep risking a spill once a year….. So far so good anyway🍻

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

Edit: are these considered gun magnet mounts?
I use this strong mf'er , but any gun magnet will work just the same.

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
What do the experts think about this gun magnet to hold the metal filings at the bottom of the oil pan?

It seems most of them only have rubber covers that stay on with screws, but that would play will on an oil pan, and I don't want to lose the cover.
Sponsored