Fumoto F106 M14-1.5 Drain Valve for the Wrangler JL

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
The Fumoto Oil Drain Valve is a terrific, affordable add-on that Wrangler JL/JLU owner's should consider installing!

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve to use on a 2018 Wrangler JL / JLU with 3.6L Pentastar engine:
*see caveat below

Fumoto F106S along side of Fumoto LC-10 Locking Clip

View attachment 16770

Recommend:
Fumoto F106S M14-1.5 Drain Valve
- short nipple
Fumoto F106 M14-1.5 Drain Valve - no nipple if you will not be hose draining
Fumoto F106SX M14-1.5 Drain Valve - Adjustable nipple

Why install the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve:
  • Easier oil changes
  • Faster oil changes
  • No mechanical skills or tools needed to drain oil / no wrenching
  • No more issues with getting oil drain plug out
  • No more damaged threads on oil pan
  • No more lost or misplaced oil pan drain plug
  • Clean oil changes. Little mess, no fuss.
  • Virtually eliminates oil change driveway mess
  • No way to lose/misplace oil drain plug
  • Drain oil straight into a jug or into original 5qt oil container ... No splashing of oil
  • Aftermarket Skid Plate - No problem... you can attach drain hose to Fumoto Oil Valve with nipple
  • Fumoto Valve Lever can be secured in locked position
  • Great if you live in an apartment complex
  • You can easily pull an oil sample for analysis
  • No way, oil change guy at dealer/fast lube place can damage oil pan's drain hole threads
  • Fumoto Oil Change Valve is EASY to install. Minimal mechanical skills needed to install
  • Fumoto is recommended by many vehicle / heavy equipment manufacturers
  • Fumoto comes as standard equipment on many brands of heavy equipment
  • Fumoto F106S Oil Change Valve with Fumoto LC-10 Locking Clip- Retails for $29.00+-

Installation of the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve:
  1. Please take care when dealing with hot oil and hot engine parts
  2. Use a rag to clean around your oil drain plug to remove any dirt and grime
  3. Remove your factory oil drain plug with 13mm socket and drain the oil into a suitable container
  4. Apply a thin film of oil to both sides of the blue gasket that came with the Fumoto
  5. Install your Fumoto valve and tighten until hand tight, making sure only the blue gasket is used
  6. Using wrench, tighten by a further 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Don't over tighten! Torque 20 Ft/lbs
  7. Open/close the valve a few times to check operation and to familiarize yourself with how it works
  8. Make sure your Fumoto valve is in the closed (locked) position.
  9. Place locking clip on Fumoto valve / this locks oil release lever in closed position
  10. Change oil filter. 24mm socket to remove cartridge cover; Tighten cartridge cover to 18 Ft/lbs
  11. Fill with 5 quarts of factory recommended grade & weight motor oil
  12. Go to installed Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and check for oil leaks
  13. Bag and label factory oil drain plug and place in storage

What to use to lock the Fumoto Oil Valve release lever:
  • Fumoto LC-10 locking clip
  • Zip Tie
  • 5/8" metal hose clamp
View attachment 16760

View attachment 16761

View attachment 16746

View attachment 16874
Caution!
View attachment 16875

IF you go with the F106S short nipple Fumoto Oil Change Valve, you will also need a
SH-10: Socket for the S-type Fumoto Valve. Cost is about $1.00 for this socket.

SH-10: Socket
View attachment 16903

View attachment 16906

*Caveat: Do, Google Search in regard to the Wrangler and the Fumoto Oil Change Valve. Many Wrangler owner's rant and rave positively about the valve while some others show concern that the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve could be damaged when rock climbing, etc.. Do research and decide if the Fumoto Oil Change Valve is for you.

Note: The author of this post has no financial interest in Fumoto, Inc. He is not in in any position to gain financially from sales of the Fumoto Oil Drain Valves.
View attachment 16769
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Hint:

Unfortunately, the guys/gals that do the oil changes at dealerships and fast oil change places are often dumb as a box of rocks. That and they are heavy handed. Indeed, not all are but most are...

Anyway, If I had a Fumoto installed and went to an oil change place, I would tell the oil change guy personally AND leave a note affixed to the steering wheel that instructed that the oil drain valve that replaces the oil plug is to be opened with the little lever to drain oil and NOT removed.

Personally, I would rather have the nitwit fool with a little lever rather then removing and misplacing and or removing and cross threading or over tightening and stripping my oil pan plug threads.

I might mention, in over 10 years of using the Fumoto valves have I had a service tech, warranty eval person, etc. complain or hassle me about the use of the Fumoto. Actually, most that see it, tell me they are going to run right out and get one for their personal vehicle.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
The only con I see with this is the lack of magnetic drain plug to catch metal shavings. I like to run goldplug. They catch A LOT of metal. Otherwise, I love this idea, especially if one isn't keeping the car forever.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Had one of these on my Tacoma for 13 years, never had an issue, great product.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
The only con I see with this is the lack of magnetic drain plug to catch metal shavings. I like to run goldplug. They catch A LOT of metal. Otherwise, I love this idea, especially if one isn't keeping the car forever.
For those that aren't aware, the stock 2018 JL, 3.6L engine, oil pan drain plug, is not magnetized.

For those that might be interested in the "Magnetic Gold Plug" (there are other brand magnetic plugs also) you can find info about it here: https://goldplug.com/
41M0dhs3EgL._AC_US160_.jpg
Note: If you want the Fumoto, and are also concerned about "metal shavings" floating around in your engine, install the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and then just take a strong Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnet ($4--) and attach it to the bottom of your JL's oil pan. Leave it there all the time.

Leave the magnet there until just before oil change, when hot engine is off, and then remove the magnet. The metal shavings will flow out with the dirty oil when you open the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

You can also do this if you are just keeping the factory drain plug and want to catch shavings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Fumoto is great.. Hve one on my JK, good luck changing oil with skid plates on without it..lol

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Note: If you want the Fumoto, and are also concerned about "metal shavings" floating around in your engine, install the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and then just take a strong Neodymium Rare Earth Disc Magnet ($4--) and attach it to the bottom of your JL's oil pan. Leave it there all the time.

Leave the magnet there until just before oil change, when hot engine is off, and then remove the magnet. The metal shavings will flow out with the dirty oil when you open the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

You can also do this if you are just keeping the factory drain plug and want to catch shavings.
great idea :)

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Reset your JL's Oil Life Tracker after oil / oil filter changes!

Oil Life Reset Method:

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.

3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Pretty Neat.

I would be concerned about it catching on stuff. For me not so much rock crawling, but long underbrush, especially the long grassy summer growth on hills that is dry when I go over it in the fall. I have had a few close calls with the stock setup parking above long dry grass, but nothing major. However catching brush in that area would be my concern.

All in all handy idea, especially for self changes. If you had other do it very often rather than the random one-off, likely more hassle exaplining the system than just have them do what they expect, especially since the benefit is not to you.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Pretty Neat.

I would be concerned about it catching on stuff. For me not so much rock crawling, but long underbrush, especially the long grassy summer growth on hills that is dry when I go over it in the fall. I have had a few close calls with the stock setup parking above long dry grass, but nothing major. However catching brush in that area would be my concern.

All in all handy idea, especially for self changes. If you had other do it very often rather than the random one-off, likely more hassle exaplining the system than just have them do what they expect, especially since the benefit is not to you.
As long as you have the Fumoto Oil Valve release lever locked with a metal hose clip or quality zip tie, the valve will not inadvertently get opened going through grass and brush. I might mention that most guys that rock crawl and such have an aftermarket skid plate installed so rock, grass, brush, etc., would have to get past the skid plate to get to the Fumoto Oil Valve and that's not gonna happen.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
As long as you have the Fumoto Oil Valve release lever locked with a metal hose clip or quality zip tie, the valve will not inadvertently get opened going through grass and brush. I might mention that most guys that rock crawl and such have an aftermarket skid plate installed so rock, grass, brush, etc. etc. would have to get past the skid plate to get to the Fumoto Oil Valve and that's not gonna happen.
I’m not worried about it opening, more it acting like a scythe and collecting grass right under/around the engine. Just another thing to catch on. Underbody protection sometimes is equally as bad at collecting grass and pressing it against hot engine/exhaust parts.

Most people will never have that as an issue, but when I drive up the ski hill in the fall it’s a concern that makes me always check underneath the vehicle now to ensure it’s clear before walking away to work on gear.

Not a design flaw or anything, just a consideration for my use-case.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
I’m not worried about it opening, more it acting like a scythe and collecting grass right under/around the engine. Just another thing to catch on.
The Fumoto Oil Valve without nipple is actually real small in size. Sticks out very little... maybe 3/4". You see very little grass, etc. if any, clinging to it after a trip through high dry grass.

I'm like you, I'm sure... after trips through dry grass and such I always check underneath for dry glass stuck, gathered near hot places.

In the late 60's when in the Army, and deployed in Southeast Asia, I had a Jeep CJ3B that I was driving, catch fire and burn up thanks to heavy, dry grass that I drove it through.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
SX version (allows you to position where the valve is upon tightening):

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
SX version (allows you to position where the valve is upon tightening):
Yes, but SX is not necessary. Also, about $7+ more then F106S. I'd rather have the short nipple F106S. Your choice...

By the way, bad video.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes, but SX is not necessary. Also, about $7+ more then F106S. I'd rather have the short nipple F106S. Your choice...

By the way, bad video.
Not necessary, but nice to be able to position the valve wherever you want it. It also has the same short nipple.

Not my video, just what came up when I searched for how the SX was different from the S.
Sponsored