Fumoto F106 M14-1.5 Drain Valve for the Wrangler JL

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m honestly not sure I would run one of these petcock style valves unless I had a skid plate covering my oil pan, I’m just to concerned hitting something or going thru tall brush that it might open. I know there is a plastic clip that supposedly helps to keep this from happening but I’m thinking that stock bolt will suite my needs for now
Well I installed one and now I’ve decided to take it off. Once I put it in and saw that it dropped about 3/4” below the pan I did not like the looks of it. The other night o was watching a video of some guy surveying the damage on his Jeep after some rough trails and he had a big rock ding just an inch from his drain bolt. So while I thing the valve is built well and would be handy, it’s sayonara fumoto for me
9F012D63-F5A0-434F-B337-E458E1F1815F.jpeg
A217A600-A75D-4C4E-9CE3-00351BD1A0CD.jpeg
36CA246A-47A8-4D5A-8EE8-92121DC6CB3F.jpeg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jondrew

For sure, I would not run a Fumoto if I was rock climbing /boulder crushing with the Wrangler. For running through the woods, through grassy areas swampy areas and especially navigating the streets, around the mall, you would be aok running a Fumoto.

Anyway, for sure a JL owner has to think think whether a Fumoto is an add on that would be aok for them to run with.

Seriously doubt you would have an issue with, what an old guy like you, will be dealing with terrain wise, in Disney World territory... Orlando. 8-)

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@Jondrew

For sure, I would not run a Fumoto if I was rock climbing /boulder crushing with the Wrangler. For running through the woods, through grassy areas swampy areas and especially navigating the streets, around the mall, you would be aok running a Fumoto.

Anyway, for sure a JL owner has to think think whether a Fumoto is an add on that would be aok for them to run with.

Seriously doubt you would have an issue with, what an old guy like you, will be dealing with terrain wise, in Disney World territory... Orlando. 8-)

I don’t want any chipmunk skulls taking out my oil drain

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
For as little as one changes oil I may stick with a factory plug, if I had a skid plate covering the pan I might rethink the use of the Fumoto but I don’t want to have to worry about things if getting off-road just pops up unplanned

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
For as little as one changes oil I may stick with a factory plug, if I had a skid plate covering the pan I might rethink the use of the Fumoto but I don’t want to have to worry about things if getting off-road just pops up unplanned
Usually pulling the plug isnt the messy/hard part, it’s the oil filter. I’ve pulled the plug on my 3.6 twice now. First time was when I realized the dealership had put 6 quarts in. I pulled the plug and drained a quart. The second time was when I changed the oil. It’s really no big deal and since the Jeep is so high, I don’t even need ramps.

The real messy part is usually the filter. But with the Jeeps canister filter being up top, this is very easy to do (not sure where the filter for the 2.0 turbo is).

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@WranglerMan

I use a metal hose clamp on mine. NO WAY, are you going to get that hose clamp, off with your fingers or see it getting pulled off accidentally.

For sure, I would not run a Fumoto if I was rock climbing with the Wrangler. For running through the woods, through grassy areas and especially navigating the streets, around the mall in your Sahara, you would be aok.

I do not use the plastic clip that Fumoto sells. It is pretty stout and will hold the valve lever closed but I want something like the hose clip I use that can't be easily removed, etc..

Didi I mention that I and many other's run the Fumoto on heavy equipment, aircraft and such.. The Fumoto is not a flimsy valve... You have a far far better chance of cross threading your oil drain plug and having a dilemma then the Fumoto being broken/snagged off..

5/8" metal Hose Clamp .... you won't get it off unless you have a good pair of pliers and then it will fight you..
clip.jpg
This morning I tried to change the oil on our 15 year old minivan. It’s driven by my 16yr old and, before giving over the keys to him a few months ago, my wife took it to a quick change place thinking she was doing a good thing and saving me work.

Well, like I said I tried to change the oil... the damn plug was torqued down so tight it may as well have been welded on to the pan. All I have are ramps, and there was no clearance for a breaker bar. I ended up bringing it to the place responsible and gave them an earful. They gave me a discount and changed the oil, but not after using an impact wrench to get the damn plug off!! (They confirmed no thread damage to the pan, and I checked the torque of the new plug when I got home as I told them I was going to do.)

Long story short: if I’d had a Fumoto on the van my morning would have gone a lot better. I run one on my Wrangler and on my GMC. Zero worries, though I’d want a skid plate if I were going to climb rocks. No way it’s gonna be bothered running trails in the woods.

So, yeah, I agree 100% with @Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This morning I tried to change the oil on our 15 year old minivan. It’s driven by my 16yr old and, before giving over the keys to him a few months ago, my wife took it to a quick change place thinking she was doing a good thing and saving me work.

Well, like I said I tried to change the oil... the damn plug was torqued down so tight it may as well have been welded on to the pan. All I have are ramps, and there was no clearance for a breaker bar. I ended up bringing it to the place responsible and gave them an earful. They gave me a discount and changed the oil, but not after using an impact wrench to get the damn plug off!! (They confirmed no thread damage to the pan, and I checked the torque of the new plug when I got home as I told them I was going to do.)

Long story short: if I’d had a Fumoto on the van my morning would have gone a lot better. I run one on my Wrangler and on my GMC. Zero worries, though I’d want a skid plate if I were going to climb rocks. No way it’s gonna be bothered running trails in the woods.

So, yeah, I agree 100% with @Rhinebeck01
@OldGuyNewJeep

I hear ya... and .... reality is if you are concerned you would have an issue off roading with a Fumoto installed, why do you think you would have no concerns / issues with the stock oil plug and oil pan when off roading, if you do not have a skid plate protecting that area.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@OldGuyNewJeep

I hear ya... and .... reality is if you are concerned you would have an issue off roading with a Fumoto installed, why do you think you would have no concerns / issues with the stock oil plug and oil pan when off roading, if you do not have a skid plate protecting that area.
I don’t have a Fumoto but have looked at the thickness of the stock oil plug and I am guessing here but I’m betting it sticks out less than this

08EFE093-F85A-46B6-B6C1-CDDF97C10B5C.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have a Fumoto but have looked at the thickness of the stock oil plug and I am guessing here but I’m betting it sticks out less than this
08EFE093-F85A-46B6-B6C1-CDDF97C10B5C.jpeg
@WranglerMan

There is no question, the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve does indeed stick out farther then the stock oil plug.

Sure, there are guys/gals that might be best not to install a Fumoto.

-Reality is though, if you have a decent skid plate protecting the area where the oil pan is, then the Fumoto or stock oil pan plug is protected so concerns about oil pan, oil pan plug/Fumoto are minimized.

-I'll stick my neck out here and say that these days, a large percentage of guys/gals will never take their JL anywhere that would warrant that they have a skid plate, let alone not having a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve installed.

-For these owner's, having a Fumoto installed means:
  • No chance of cross threading the oil drain plug
  • No chance of stripping the oil drain plug
  • No chance of over tightening the oil drain plug
  • No lost oil drain plugs at oil change time
  • No time fooling with the oil pan plug at oil change time
  • Easy to take an oil sample for testing via the valve
  • Quick oil draining... open the valve... no mess, no oil on hands
  • Ability to drain the extra quart of oil that the dealer put in by mistake (Many, don't do their own oil changes)

-With that said, there is little reason why many JL owner's shouldn't install a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve and enjoy the benefits of having one.

-Remember, if the guy/gal ever decides to say go to MOAB or similar destination this year, they can easily reinstall the stock oil drain plug.

- No, the mall, grocery store parking lot, work parking lot, Disney World parking, are not destinations similar to MOAB.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@OldGuyNewJeep

Physics. There would be more leverage on a strike on the Fumoto valve than with the drain bolt. It would break off easier. I'd love to have the best of both. A skid plate with room for that valve would be great. I haven't seen one yet. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Rancho to develop one similar one I bought from them years ago for my JK. Unfortunately, it is snug and doesn't leave room for the Fumoto.

That said, the oil pan and drain plug aren't nearly as vulnerable to begin with as my JK. I think even with a Fumoto I'd have less risk on the JL. It doesn't hang as low as the 3.8 JK oil pan.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As I look at the design of the Fumoto the thing that sticks out in my mind is the ball valve lever that gets opened to drain the oil, I know there are ways to keep this closed like a clip or clamp but I still have a concern and I’m sure I’m overthinking this like I do on most things but upon at different types of systems for draining the oil I find this particular design slightly better and no I don’t currently own one or own a Fumoto but the design of the Valvomax here seems to take it one step further by not haveing the ball lever and also adding a cap as a secondary means of protection, I’m not sure how much difference there is in size

https://www.valvomax.com/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

I myself, wouldn't care to have an oil drain valve, like the ValvoMax, etc., that I am required to use a dust cap, a special attachment with hose, in order to get the oil out.. Things to clean, to misplace... to carry in the JL, in case..

Part of the reason I spew about the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve is just because I have used them for years.

The Fumoto is very popular / seen lots on heavy equipment, gas powered fork lifts, industrial applications, aircraft and more.

The valve has been around for many years and is proven to perform and not known to be problematic or to leak. A well known, quality valve with a history lets say.

With that said, an oil drain valve is a terrific add on.

I listed some of the reasons to have in my last post.

IF you find an oil drain valve that is proven and does the job then go for it.

-Obviously, there are decent oil drain valves out there other then the Fumoto.

@WranglerMan ... IF you ever got a chance to handle / look over a Fumoto, you would see how good the locking system on the valve is. You would see that the valve is a quality valve. Also, not only is the locking system on it extremely good and not prone to open unless you open it, but also it is easy to add a hose clip to it, if you want added piece of mind.. I'd say you / your JL would be a perfect candidate for an oil drain valve.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Not to be an ass, but why do people who don’t have the valve and have never installed one feel the need to chime in and disparage the fumoto?
I have one and the quality, fit, machining, and ease of use is stellar.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been using FUMOTO VALVES for over19 years--

Never a problem, never a malfunction, never a loss of predictability-

Nothing wrong with the STOCK DRAIN PLUG, but if you want something a little easier/quicker/less messy--getta FUMOTO VALVE-

W.E.

JIMBO

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My "$.02"

when you've got an oil catch container like this (like me):

oildrainpan.jpg

...convenient for taking and discarding old oil to places that accept it for recycling, using a plastic hose to fill this container makes things easier, and using *some* Fumoto's allows for hose hookup...

..so there's that...

I'm thinking the 106 series of the first post with letters after the "106" allows hoses but I'm not 100% certain.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m14-1-5-drain-valve-for-the-wrangler-jl.4441/

I have one, but not on my JL...yet.

I said, "I've got free JL oil changes, I'll get this eventually," and then realized that I'll need a way to drain 'the extra quart they might put in at the dealer' and ordered one. : - )

~~~
Sponsored