Sponsored

Fully loaded Rubicons, list the advantages.(other than the obvious of course)

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Technically I’m not allowed in this thread….(owning a 2021 Sport)
However….
….yesterday I did test drive a for sale, pristine stock fully loaded bright yellow MT 3.6 2019 Rubicon with leather seats, steel bumpers, aux switches etc…. Sweet sweet rig!
These are my observations:
1) It amazed me how slow it was compared to my 2.0T 8spd auto. (might be the 4:10 gearing combined with the MT
2) 1st gear is to short for the street and 2nd to high.
3) Leather seats - meh, my sheepskins are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
4) For some reason I didn’t like the non-functional hood vents staring at me while driving.
5) Average mpg gauge read 14.9 (mine reads 23)
6) Selectable lockers are the best, until the nanny systems are added. I don’t want that level of complexity. I’d rather keep it simple with my lunch box locker/helix lsd.
7) Love the idea of the sway bar disconnect - however they are prone to failure. Again, keeping it simple with a rock jock sway bar.
8) 4:1 transfer case - gotta have one of those! ($2k aftermarket).
9) Idk the limitations of the 186m front axle, obviously the 210m would be a better choice.
10) Steel bumpers are probably a wash, as there are good aftermarket choices or take offs.
11) I don’t trust the stock rubi rock rails.
12) The bigger screen was really nice, but again, the complexities of running it compared to knobs you can reach for without taking your eyes off the road, makes it a disadvantage for me.

In Summary, it was a very nice rig! Other than changing out the rock rails, it’s ready to go!
>>> Somebody here - who appreciates nice Jeeps should buy it !!! <<< (they quoted me 41k)
Agree. Stay in your lane, bro.

Jk

I have deep regret about not getting the aux switches that come with the tow package. A couple years later ended up getting a hitch and to have it wired would have put the price basically at what the package cost (at the time) but without the switches and alternator.
Sponsored

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
Stay in your lane, bro.
Sorry bro, my style is ‘free style’ - no BLD, TCS, ECS. If you don’t like how I drive, stay off the sidewalks.
If you don’t like me on this thread, don’t tell me I can’t be here. My little sleeper Sport will eat your red dashed big stickered Jeepeny for lunch - that is unless we are going to the Mall for lunch or picking the kids up from soccer practice. 🤣❤😎

btw - you better get your order in for an fully optioned out JLUR pumk’n Rubi before they discontinue. (last year’s JLUR in pumk’n shown below):
Jeep Wrangler JL Fully loaded Rubicons, list the advantages.(other than the obvious of course) D365B1F6-EEAF-45CA-8F7E-58A81C4CDB35

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
A couple years later ended up getting a hitch and to have it wired would have put the price basically at what the package cost (at the time) but without the switches and alternator.
That might depend on the tow harness chosen for after-the-fact installation. The 4/7 pin Mopar harness is probably the most costly option, in that regard.

I DIYd the installation of the Quadratec tow harness on my Jeep for pennies on the comparative dollar. Yes, it has just the 4-flat connector. That said, towing large/heavy loads, those that would require the 7-pin connector for trailer brakes, arguably isn't in the Wrangler's wheelhouse. I do know that others sometimes use their Jeeps in that manner, with no apparent harm. As I don't plan to do the same, the expense and complexity of the related harness wasn't ever on my radar.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Having a Jeep that can run 37's with minimal mods, and be the shiny "new" Jeep on the trail who casually walks everything on the tough trails (No winches, no straps, just keeps going), while watching other, older, more built Jeeps struggle. Then being able to clean up, pack up, and take my family on a road trip to the ocean for a week.
Some of that is experience with seat time, and research with set up.... but as I've said before, 37's and this Jeep is like cheating to me compared to my old TJ's.

JLURfab

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
My girlfriend and I plan on using our Rubi as intended but she is still going to see a lot of "road" miles

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Based on the options I have (red = waste, yellow = it's ok, green = heck yes)

Standard
Rubicon Hood
Highline Flares

Rock rails
Rubicon wheels and 33” tires

Rubicon transfer case
Rear Axle

Front Axle
Lockers
Sway bar disconnect

Rubicon suspension
8.4" Display

Extras
Sting-Grey Paint
Integrated Off-Road Camera
Body-Color Rubicon Highline Flare
Body-Color 3-Piece Hard Top
Leather Seats
All-Weather floor mats

Hardtop Headliner
Advanced Safety Group

Cold Weather Group
LED Lighting Group
Safety Group
Steel-Bumper Group
Tow Group
3.6L eTorque
8-Speed Auto

I have built a YJ (1995), built a Sport (2010) and am on my 2nd Rubicon (2018 and 2021). If I were to buy one today IMO the best stock option is the Willys XR.
What dont you like about the trail cam?

OP
OP
Vinman

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What dont you like about the trail cam?
I’m not speaking for who you quoted but I’m less than impressed with the trail cam.
I find the angle of view too wide to get a good estimate of how far objects are away from the front of the Jeep.

Vatdevil

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Door 6 Speed
Yep, Trail cam view is too wide for picking a line. I do find it helpful on blind drops however.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
I’m not speaking for who you quoted but I’m less than impressed with the trail cam.
I find the angle of view too wide to get a good estimate of how far objects are away from the front of the Jeep.
Yep, Trail cam view is too wide for picking a line. I do find it helpful on blind drops however.
Alright cool I got in on mine mainly for the drop offs and to see closer in front so I wont be too disappointed in it lol

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
JLUR-XR here. I've absolutely already benefited offroad from the suspension and tires on the XR, as well as the lockers. I used the heated seat and steering wheel for the first time the other day. Didn't know I'd appreciate it that much. The 8.4" with Android Auto and OnX is ON POINT, about halfway through trail runs with local clubs I usually end up leading the run and having that massive screen and map for navigation is excellent. I enjoy my music, and the Alpine sound system is plenty good enough for what I need, and I use it regularly. Aux switches already have lights connected to them, and the tow package has already been used. Front facing trail cam, especially on the 8.4" screen, is amaze-balls, granted you have to learn to use it properly. And the fact that it's self cleaning?? You're kidding me... Next, steel bumper group and front skid. Looks awesome in stubby mode, and they do the job. Granted I'll upgrade soon, but it comes ready from the factory with multiple light mounting options, and a few hundred $$ away from being winch ready. LED light package... my trail lights are barely brighter (granted this is more a statement on the quality of my trail lights, but you get what I'm getting at lol).

And the hood looks cool too!
You can get OnX on the Alpine 8.4? Or are you using the phone with an app? Thx in advance....

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my Sport JLU for a Rubi JLU for one reason: @Roky .

I’ve wheeled with Roky a few times in my Sport, and once in my Rubi. With my Sport, I kept out-wheeling the old man on obstacles. It was embarrassing, and I love the dude, so I got the Rubi to make him feel not so bad when I beat him on obstacles. 😂 Besides, I was beating the hell out of myself and my Sport to out-wheel him, and that’s not good in the long run.

Joking aside Roky, remember when I popped my shoulder out the last time we wheeled? I got that shoulder replaced mid-August, and what a life changer it’s been! I’m ready to hit the trails with you anytime again, brother!

rjpjeep

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I have a 21 JLRU that I did the SOT conv. on. I love the luxury off roading part of it. VERY capable, but refined. When I order another I will add the XR package. Nothing like being trail ready right out of the box and all covered by factory warranty.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
You can get OnX on the Alpine 8.4? Or are you using the phone with an app? Thx in advance....
Using phone, plugged into USB, android auto puts the map on the 8.4" screen.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fully loaded Rubicons, list the advantages.(other than the obvious of course) 5654

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Ha. Yours might be the first in-field use that I've seen of the same dashboard tray in my Jeep.

I upgraded the arms and balls to genuine RAM; it seems you've done the same.
Haven't upgraded them yet, but I think it may have been you who mentioned in the other thread where I posted this setup that I'll eventually need to upgrade. They're in the amazon list, ready to go when I need em!
I did buy a RAM arm and joint to drop the phone so it sits down next to the main screen rather than up high. I really like it down there. And since i have the arms resting on the dash, it stabilizes them and they don't shake at all when off-roading. I'm a fan.
Sponsored