Sponsored

Full XR Take-Off Suspension or Mopar 2in Lift (2-Door Willys Sport)?

Which suspension system would you choose?

• Total voters

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
Just looking for some feedback here. I found a full XR take-off suspension (all 8 control arms, 4 end-links, front and rear springs, front and rear shocks, what looks like 1in bump stop extensions, front and rear track bars, and front driveshaft) for $500 local. Would you jump on that or would you go with the Mopar 2 inch suspension system that my dealership would install but would obviously cost more? How easy would the install of the XR take-offs be? My first mods were going to be front and rear steel bumpers along with a winch, but when I found the XR take-offs, it kind of threw a monkey wrench in my supposed plans. No matter what, the install will be a long ways away because I intend to buy once, install once, and cry once. When I lift, I will be also buying 5 new 35in tires while using my stock Willys wheels (because I love them), regearing to 4.56, installing the steel bumpers, and installing the winch. I just want things done right the first time and don't want to find myself in a mess.
UX_tKbgJO37iFoXX40_96wjqypY&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.jpg
Sponsored

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

Isn't the XR take off springs and shocks the same as the Mopar 2"?

I don't know but have just assumed that's what it is.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Isn't the XR take off springs and shocks the same as the Mopar 2"?

I don't know but have just assumed that's what it is.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one. I have no idea.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

For what it's worth I'd rather find JLUR take offs for my 2 door Rubi than put the XR kit on there.

JLUR will give me an inch or 2 XR will be over 2 close to 3 in some cases I've heard and I don't need to be that high

Sponsored

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
For what it's worth I'd rather find JLUR take offs for my 2 door Rubi than put the XR kit on there.

JLUR will give me an inch or 2 XR will be over 2 close to 3 in some cases I've heard and I don't need to be that high
Well the Mopar lift gives about 3 inches of lift to non-Rubicons anyways so I figured, "What the heck?" you know? I do quite a bit of wheeling so the extra clearance will probably come in handy at some point.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
I would get the Mopar 2" lift. The shocks that come on the XR aren't what you'd need . Control arms are probably same as yours. The only things slightly beneficial to you would be the coil springs. $500 is too much for those springs.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I would get the Mopar 2" lift. The shocks that come on the XR aren't what you'd need . Control arms are probably same as yours. The only things slightly beneficial to you would be the coil springs. $500 is too much for those springs.
Thanks for the feedback.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Alright this is gonna be a long one…

The Mopar lift might ride better as I’m pretty sure you can get two door specific springs, but I’d probably go with what’s cheaper.

The front driveshaft, control arms, and track bars should be the same across all Jeeps, and the Mopar lift I’m pretty sure only has longer lower control arms, but I’m not 100% on that.

You could pick up the XR lift, swap only shocks, springs, and sway bar links (if they’re even longer), and then pick up some adjustable track bars (Mopar lift leaves these out) and then 4 adjustable control arms and that would be the minimum to get the Jeep driving and handling really well. Bump stop extensions will be determined by shocks and tire size.

Honestly, if you only want to do it once, you’re probably better off picking up a full suspension system from Metalcloak, Clayton, or Rock Krawler. I’ve had both Metalcloak and Rock Krawler and can say they are top notch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Clayton as well.

Also, pretty sure all of those manufactures have kits with the bare minimum to get your Jeep riding right with a lift. 4 contol arms (uppers or lowers), track bars (correction brackets would also work), springs, shocks, sway bar links. Then if you want to get really gnarly you can add the other control arms, upgrade shocks, or whatever else.

TLDR; If it’s cheap, do it. If it’s not, look at a full or “bare-minimum” kit from a reputable manufacturer.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Your guess is as good as mine on that one. I have no idea.
It’s definitely not the same. I would go with the Mopar lift. I’m already looking to upgrade my XR’s springs & shocks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Alright this is gonna be a long one…

The Mopar lift might ride better as I’m pretty sure you can get two door specific springs, but I’d probably go with what’s cheaper.

The front driveshaft, control arms, and track bars should be the same across all Jeeps, and the Mopar lift I’m pretty sure only has longer lower control arms, but I’m not 100% on that.

You could pick up the XR lift, swap only shocks, springs, and sway bar links (if they’re even longer), and then pick up some adjustable track bars (Mopar lift leaves these out) and then 4 adjustable control arms and that would be the minimum to get the Jeep driving and handling really well. Bump stop extensions will be determined by shocks and tire size.

Honestly, if you only want to do it once, you’re probably better off picking up a full suspension system from Metalcloak, Clayton, or Rock Krawler. I’ve had both Metalcloak and Rock Krawler and can say they are top notch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Clayton as well.

Also, pretty sure all of those manufactures have kits with the bare minimum to get your Jeep riding right with a lift. 4 contol arms (uppers or lowers), track bars (correction brackets would also work), springs, shocks, sway bar links. Then if you want to get really gnarly you can add the other control arms, upgrade shocks, or whatever else.

TLDR; If it’s cheap, do it. If it’s not, look at a full or “bare-minimum” kit from a reputable manufacturer.
Yeah, I've tossed around the 2.5in Clayton Overland plus with Falcon shocks and the AEV 2.5in DualSport with Bilstein 8100 shocks. I've heard nothing but praise out of both of those systems. I have those in my cart at Quadratec. I hate choices sometimes.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
The XR shocks wouldn’t be worth installing as they have an extra long compressed length and only just over 7 inches of travel, not a good choice.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
100% go aftermarket unless you diy a really cheap setup.. Because you will end up upgrading anyway..

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I considered XR take off but went Mopar lift with Steer Smarts front/rear track bars. I think for the extra coin I will be very happy… I hope.

OP
OP
tshaw2009

tshaw2009

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I considered XR take off but went Mopar lift with Steer Smarts front/rear track bars. I think for the extra coin I will be very happy… I hope.
I tossed that idea around too. I'll just have to price everything out.
Sponsored