Sponsored

Full Underbody Skid Plate vs winter salt corrosion?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I would like to install full under body skid plates. However, I live in a state where the roads are generally salted for almost half the year. On my previous vehicles, I would frequently take them to a car wash that has under body sprayers. None of them had more than a trace of frame or panel rust. However, it doesn't look like the under body will get much of a wash, with under body skid plates blocking the wash.
Anyone have experience with full skid plates and winter wash downs?
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Did this on both of my previous TJ's until they got old and I got lazy. Of course, the rust was only absolutely terrible in places the sprayers couldn't get to (mostly above the skid plates). I replaced my gas tank skid with an HD aluminum unit from Savvy off road and it held up great.

2 suggestions:
1). Go HD aluminum on skid plates if possible- with a little paint they'll resist the rust better than steel.
2). Even if you don't, hit the underside with Fluid Film. I've got a kit in the garage waiting for me to do that to my JLUR underside and inside the frame, because this is easily the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and I do not want to see it turn into a rusty pile of $#!t in under 5 years like the last few Jeeps and cars I've had. The kit was ~$90 on Amazon and included everything I need. Some shops and mechanics will do it, I bought a kit because i was having a hard time finding one who would. My buddy has done this to all of his cars that see winter salt and it's been great with preserving them. It will leave a greasy coating on the underside, but I wear gloves when I work on my rig anyway, and in my opinion: anything that prevents rust is worth it when you have a vehicle you care about and live in the rust belt

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
It was -20F this morning. A garden hose is about effective as a garden rake.