Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
They concepted this, and I had a chance to see it in person. I liked it, but not enough of the public did to warrant it being added into the lineup. Everything except the doors had to be changed with the sheet metal.

JK Africa

Jeep%2BWrangler%2BAfrica%2BMoab%2BEaster%2BJeep%2BSafari%2B(6).jpg

Africa-012_MG_0816.jpg
I'm digging the two front mounted Jerry cans!!!!

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I live in rainy Washington State and often wonder if Jeep would be successful if they made a full steel roof Wrangler with a fixed windshield? Let's say it's about $3,000 cheaper than the JL removable tops. I would consider it.

Or would it flop like the Hummer and FJ?
If they fixed the problems they have now like the orp,uconnect elec problems and most of all steering problems that a lot of jeepers have. It's a crime to build something with the same problem year after year. As far as a solid alum or steel top and fixed windshield, yes I would. Remember the toyota wit the steel roof and inside, opposite fold down rear seats. Great vehicle just needed a suspension system that left your kidneys intact at the end of the day. some even had the window view on the top sides.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
It would work in a limited special edition model (i.e. Recon, Willys, etc.). Include the angry bird grill and 22" wheel. Oh, and a decal. Then it would sell.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i believe it would require more crash testing for every model. even when they offer different seats (like recaros) in a vehicle they have to crash test it again (i believe)

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting this popped up in my email, I eventually purchased a 2018 JLUR and only kept it for 7 months (and 10K miles) before trading it in. I do a lot of roadtrips around the PNW with my wife and the wind noise from the hardtop was just too much and one of the major reasons I got rid of it. We had to raise our voices just to talk. I have a Colorado ZR2 now and the little bit of sacrifice in off road capability is more than made up in road and highway comfort and drive ability of the ZR2 - it is an order of magnitude better on the road than the Jeep. So I think a hardtop would be great.

Last edited:

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a jeep nitro/liberty with solid axles

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
The Dakar concept was essentially turned into the 1st Gen liberty.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I live in rainy Washington State and often wonder if Jeep would be successful if they made a full steel roof Wrangler with a fixed windshield? Let's say it's about $3,000 cheaper than the JL removable tops. I would consider it.

Or would it flop like the Hummer and FJ?
I can't remember the precise video, but when the JL was released I saw an interview with one of the FCA design heads where they discussed the possibility of doing away with the dropping windshield before release as it would have been a lot easier ($) to build a roof which is supported in strength by a fixed windshield.

For whatever reason, FCA choose the body of the JL to be consistent across all model trims, probably as an ease of consistent production ($) issue, and probably felt that doing away with a dropped windshield would too far tip the balance between today's feature rich JL, owned by some who will never take it off road, or pop the windshield (if not their collar) at most once, to say "been there don't that," and purists.
Sponsored