Full steel roof JL? Would you buy it?

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
They concepted this, and I had a chance to see it in person. I liked it, but not enough of the public did to warrant it being added into the lineup. Everything except the doors had to be changed with the sheet metal.

JK Africa

Jeep%2BWrangler%2BAfrica%2BMoab%2BEaster%2BJeep%2BSafari%2B(6).jpg

Africa-012_MG_0816.jpg
Looks like a Jeep Defender to me :)
Love the jerry can on the front fender ! :)
Sponsored

HawkRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dakota RT, 05 Rubicon, 17 Challenger Hellcat
I live in rainy Washington State and often wonder if Jeep would be successful if they made a full steel roof Wrangler with a fixed windshield? Let's say it's about $3,000 cheaper than the JL removable tops. I would consider it.

Or would it flop like the Hummer and FJ?
Was born in Washington. I fixed the problem by moving somewhere that doesn't rain everyday.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
I wouldn't pay less for a full steel top but I would pay more for a stronger top that would hold a roof top tent! (I'll admit I didn't read all the replies.)

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
They concepted this, and I had a chance to see it in person. I liked it, but not enough of the public did to warrant it being added into the lineup. Everything except the doors had to be changed with the sheet metal.

JK Africa

Jeep%2BWrangler%2BAfrica%2BMoab%2BEaster%2BJeep%2BSafari%2B(6).jpg

Africa-012_MG_0816.jpg
I sort of like. Like a Land Rover D110. But I also like the removable top option.

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
I live in rainy Washington State and often wonder if Jeep would be successful if they made a full steel roof Wrangler with a fixed windshield? Let's say it's about $3,000 cheaper than the JL removable tops. I would consider it.

You are asking in the wrong place, the small percentage of owners that this site represent are most "true to origins" to Wrangler to have a biased opinion.

If you would ask the question to the majority of the customers that have or are looking to purchase a SUV/Wrangler they will most likely select the 3k - MSRP steel roof option.

Especially that will significantly reduce the road noise in the cabin, provide more space, remove extra weight, improve MPG, it will improve the towing rating, and not to mention lower insurance premiums.

***This is just my option

Sponsored

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
It's just a fun hypothetical discussion never gonna happen. I see dozens of JKs every day because I work patrol on a military base. Most of the time, even in good weather, I see hardtop JKs running around all buttoned up with the A/C on full blast.

As far Jeep as "purists" frowning on a permanent fixed top, they also claim leather seats, infotainment, power anything should not be in a "real" Jeep like a Wrangler.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As far Jeep as "purists" frowning on a permanent fixed top, they also claim leather seats, infotainment, power anything should not be in a "real" Jeep like a Wrangler.
You ask for peoples opinions and that is what you are going to get. They are opinions and everybody has one although it may differ from yours. Instead of trying to persuade people as to why you think your opinion is good just accept others views / opinions.

It is OK that you would like to have a steel roof. I could have responded telling you to go buy a 4 runner or something else in the market that has this. That would have come across as an insult. Instead I simply responded with why I chose to buy a Jeep being that it does not have a fixed roof among many other reasons that do not pertain to this thread.

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Nobody is trying to prove anything here it's a discussion forum. I won't stop buying Wranglers even with quality issues and crappy weather. The Wrangler makes me happy when I look at it just like my 2010 Camaro and its cartoonish style. I'm just killing some time until the 2 door and Scrambler come out to make my final decision on JL vs JLU vs JT.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
No way. On top of having the removable panels another awesome thing is the reduced risk of hail damage.

I've already had 2 vehicles annihilated by hail since moving to CO.

Kurtj29

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I live in “rainy” Washington state. I plan to go with the dual top option. Also note that the Seattle area leads the country in sunglasses sales. It does not rain here from July 5th till mid October. Although if it was an option, I have to admit I would consider the pure hard top.

Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
I'm also in the Seattle area. Yes, I would prefer a fixed steel top and windshield with drip rails especially for $3k less as I don't plan
on rolling over on it anymore.

TheMindbender

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX

I think it might work if it allowed for things like a cool panoramic moonroof or sunroof

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Flop, at least for me. The open air ( some flavor of it ) is one of my must haves.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

I’m in the minority here, but a JLU Sahara, with a full steel unibody roof with 3 fixed lexan/glass sunroof panels, would appeal to me a sh1t-ton.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Flop, at least for me. The open air ( some flavor of it ) is one of my must haves.
I do love the open air feel too, but some hyperlight quick remove suicide doors with no wiring harness which could share a power deadbolt from the pillar would be epic for open air feel, even on a unibody top JL/JLU
Sponsored