First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have read where leaving the seat belt buckled on 2018 - 2019 Jeep JLs will prevent auto lock from activating, such as when sending the Jeep through an automatic car wash where the transmission must be in neutral. However, on my 2021 JL, fastening the driver's seat belt when leaving the transmission in neutral will not prevent auto lock from activating, unless the engine is left idling. If the engine is shut off, the auto park feature will activate even with the seat belt buckled. It appears that the 2021 auto park operates differently than earlier model JLs.

While leaving the engine idling and transmission in neutral while the vehicle travels along the track going through an automatic car wash is possible (no occupants in the vehicle per car wash rules), I do not feel comfortable doing this.

Does anyone have a solution where the transmission can be in neutral, engine off and auto park not activated on a 2021 JL?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
Does anyone have a solution where the transmission can be in neutral, engine off and auto park not activated on a 2021 JL?
@calemasters
  1. Leave transmission in Park
  2. Transfer case in Neutral
  3. Ignition off

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
snip:

@calemasters
  2. Transfer case in Neutral
  3. Ignition off
Yes, that is a solution and a good solution, if it was just me. But employees at the car wash put the cars on the track and may not know how to put the T-case in neutral and other employees at the far end of the track drive the car out of the car wash. They would not know what to do. And I hate the sound of T-case gears grinding. The easy thing would be for me to ride through in the car, but that is not allowed.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have read where leaving the seat belt buckled on 2018 - 2019 Jeep JLs will prevent auto lock from activating, such as when sending the Jeep through an automatic car wash where the transmission must be in neutral. However, on my 2021 JL, fastening the driver's seat belt when leaving the transmission in neutral will not prevent auto lock from activating, unless the engine is left idling. If the engine is shut off, the auto park feature will activate even with the seat belt buckled. It appears that the 2021 auto park operates differently than earlier model JLs.

While leaving the engine idling and transmission in neutral while the vehicle travels along the track going through an automatic car wash is possible (no occupants in the vehicle per car wash rules), I do not feel comfortable doing this.

It’s a Jeep..... what are you doing in a car wash in the first place ?!?.........😉

Sponsored

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s a Jeep..... what are you doing in a car wash in the first place ?!?.........😉
I know, right. It was hot and I was feeling lazy. It was only one time. I swear.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Interesting thread as I didn't think about that feature.

I'm wondering about the collision detection system through the car wash. I was told on my subaru to disable this system by way of the buttons before going through the car wash. Don't know if it's a fact or not but not willing to test it.

How painful is it to shift the transfer case from neutral to 4hi to 2hi when stopped?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@calemasters

I forgot to mention.... contrary to what you think, I do believe, Auto Park with your 2021 is the same as Auto Park with the 2018-2020 models..

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@calemasters

I forgot to mention.... contrary to what you think, I do believe, Auto Park with your 2021 is the same as Auto Park with the 2018-2020 models..
That could be. I watched a youtube video by Brandon Haneline demonstrating auto park and it looked like auto park would not engage with the seat belt fastened on his 2018 JL even with the engine off.

Video Here

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting thread as I didn't think about that feature.

I'm wondering about the collision detection system through the car wash. I was told on my subaru to disable this system by way of the buttons before going through the car wash. Don't know if it's a fact or not but not willing to test it.

How painful is it to shift the transfer case from neutral to 4hi to 2hi when stopped?
I have never had an issue shifting the T-case, but my wife has trouble sometimes. I think the guys at the car wash could possibly have issues.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yes, that is a solution and a good solution, if it was just me. But employees at the car wash put the cars on the track and may not know how to put the T-case in neutral and other employees at the far end of the track drive the car out of the car wash. They would not know what to do. And I hate the sound of T-case gears grinding. The easy thing would be for me to ride through in the car, but that is not allowed.
I would never trust car wash employees to do this correctly. Or actually get all the nooks and crannies clean. A high-risk, low-reward situation. Putting a Jeep through a car wash is pretty much trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Just enjoy the dirt if it's hot and you're tired.

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just enjoy the dirt if it's hot and you're tired.
Laughed at "enjoy the dirt". 😅 But you are correct about "high risk, low reward".

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@calemasters

Short distance the JL has to go down the car wash tunnel..

2. Turn off Ignition
3. Release the Manual Park Release by pulling the associated tether strap

At completion of the car wash, pull tether again and then start the vehicle up and drive it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Full Service Automatic Car Wash & Auto Park on a 2021 JL zzz.JPG

OP
OP
calemasters

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@calemasters

Short distance the JL has to go down the car wash tunnel..

2. Turn off Ignition
3. Release the Manual Park Release by pulling the associated tether strap

At completion of the car wash, pull tether again and then start the vehicle up and drive it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Full Service Automatic Car Wash & Auto Park on a 2021 JL zzz.JPG
Yes, that works also. For me, I think the best solution is to wash the Jeep myself.