Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Bring it on!
Who knows what here..?
Really curious about details.
Maybe this one is still too far out to tell...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Euro JEEP

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Aahhh the administrator Jay just front ran me :)

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
This is gonna be really interesting because EVs get their mileage from aero effeciency. The Wrangler is a box on wheels so it's gonna take a huge hit on range. And I can't see people using their EV Wrangler for serious off roading as there's no way to charge up. But torque and reliability should be pretty good compared to fossil fuel wranglers.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hybrid designs are very heavy, very complex (2 drivetrains essentially), very expensive to repair, very low resale value, more expensive.

Good points are they they can be made to have long range (if designed for it), and I think they get good low end torque.

I really don't think they make sense in the Wrangler to be honest.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
By the way folks, I heard that the 2025 CAFE fleet mpg requirements may be lowered from the 50s to the 30s...this will be a harsh blow to hybrid technologies.

It's not for sure yet though.

Sponsored

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
My understanding was that the 2020+ jeep would be completely electric. So only a single drive train. Electric vehicles are definitely the future. They can't replace everything now, but I absolutely see the vast majority of cars sold being EVs in the next 10ish years. Especially when you combine EV benefits and the rate at which battery technology and pricing is improving

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
My understanding was that the 2020+ jeep would be completely electric.
Let's think about this slowly now. Would it make any sense at all to create 2 new drivetrains like the 2.0L Turbo, and the EcoDiesel, that would only be available for 2 and 1 years respectively, before canceling them all in favour of the hybrid, which also runs on gasoline by the way, and is not "completely electric"?

So only a single drive train. Electric vehicles are definitely the future. They can't replace everything now, but I absolutely see the vast majority of cars sold being EVs in the next 10ish years. Especially when you combine EV benefits and the rate at which battery technology and pricing is improving
Your thinking was so off the wall on the first point. Might you possibly consider that you're not seeing reality clearly on these other points?

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Let's think about this slowly now. Would it make any sense at all to create 2 new drivetrains like the 2.0L Turbo, and the EcoDiesel, that would only be available for 2 and 1 years respectively, before canceling them all in favour of the hybrid, which also runs on gasoline by the way, and is not "completely electric"?

Your thinking was so off the wall on the first point. Might you possibly consider that you're not seeing reality clearly on these other points?
From what I understand, these drive trains exist in other FCA models so they're not entirely new. And no one said they would cancel the old drive trains. The pentastar is going to exist alongside the 2.0T and diesel is it not?
If you look at the numbers, China is the biggest market for new vehicles. EVs are in huge demand over there, and manufacturers are responding to that. Several European countries are pushing to ban or limit fossil fuel new car sales in the coming decades.
Volvo, Mercedes and BMW have all made huge announcements about pouring money into battery and EV production. Tesla received 400,000+ $1,000 reservations for their $35,000 car without even giving people and opportunity to test drive. "Every day" manufacturers like Toyota, Ford, etc will follow suit for fear of being left behind.
For every day driving, the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel vehicles. Specialty cars like the Wrangler will continue to sell gasoline variants because of the history and crowd it attracts. For that reason, I don't see the EV variant being very popular. But mom and pop cars, which is the bread and butter of the majority of car manufacturers, will definitely convert to EV in the coming years. The downsides to EVs, such as range and charging infrastructure will be fixed with time.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
From what I understand, these drive trains exist in other FCA models so they're not entirely new. And no one said they would cancel the old drive trains. The pentastar is going to exist alongside the 2.0T and diesel is it not?
If you look at the numbers, China is the biggest market for new vehicles. EVs are in huge demand over there, and manufacturers are responding to that. Several European countries are pushing to ban or limit fossil fuel new car sales in the coming decades.
Volvo, Mercedes and BMW have all made huge announcements about pouring money into battery and EV production. Tesla received 400,000+ $1,000 reservations for their $35,000 car without even giving people and opportunity to test drive. "Every day" manufacturers like Toyota, Ford, etc will follow suit for fear of being left behind.
For every day driving, the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel vehicles. Specialty cars like the Wrangler will continue to sell gasoline variants because of the history and crowd it attracts. For that reason, I don't see the EV variant being very popular. But mom and pop cars, which is the bread and butter of the majority of car manufacturers, will definitely convert to EV in the coming years. The downsides to EVs, such as range and charging infrastructure will be fixed with time.
The only issue is the sheer battery cost, although China has all the raw materials for this so they will lead the way. Solid state batteries are coming in roughly 5 years time.

EVs are really coming of age. If the battery was excluded, EVs materially are super cheap. Several AC motors and a large voltage controller.

One major change is that once everything is an EV, the mpg targets go away and we’ll be back to cooler, non aerodynamic vehicles. I am sick of everything looking like an egg.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
My understanding was that the 2020+ jeep would be completely electric. So only a single drive train.
And no one said they would cancel the old drive trains. The pentastar is going to exist alongside the 2.0T and diesel is it not?
I encounter this a lot with fans of EVs. If Elron Musk really wants to make Tesla a success, he should start building short school buses, not roadsters.

pio5xLEjT.gif

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The only issue is the sheer battery cost, although China has all the raw materials for this so they will lead the way. Solid state batteries are coming in roughly 5 years time.

EVs are really coming of age. If the battery was excluded, EVs materially are super cheap. Several AC motors and a large voltage controller.

One major change is that once everything is an EV, the mpg targets go away and we’ll be back to cooler, non aerodynamic vehicles. I am sick of everything looking like an egg.
I hear that better batteries and viable nuclear fusion are just 10 years away.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
I encounter this a lot with fans of EVs. If Elron Musk really wants to make Tesla a success, he should start building short school buses, not roadsters.

pio5xLEjT.gif
You're making a joke but Tesla is making a long haul semi truck. A ton of big name companies have put money down for reservations. The performance destroys equivalent diesel semi trucks and it gets 500 miles of range while towing a full load.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S

Yeah battery cost is absolutely the limiting cost factor of EVs. But everything goes down in price over time. Remember plasma/LED flat screen TVs?
Sponsored