Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Biggest fear would be reinforcing the plate protecting the battery. Not sure what would happen if that made sudden contact with a large rock. Know of one Tesla that caught fire. Don't recall why but thought it was some rupture from contact.
IMO, the battery is likely to be located where the current engine resides. That would allow the existing frame to provide plenty of protection. However I'm curious to see how well a Li-Ion can stand up to the rigors of off-roading or rock climbing.
Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
IMO, the battery is likely to be located where the current engine resides. That would allow the existing frame to provide plenty of protection. However I'm curious to see how well a Li-Ion can stand up to the rigors of off-roading or rock climbing.
That’s possible. Would of been nice to finally have an actual trunk with lots of storage. That engine compartment isn’t huge but could be repurposed.

Placing the battery underneath ala Tesla with one massive skid plate might have made crawling more fun. Nothing to hang up. Lots of area to slide. Perhaps on top of the frame between the body to add protection to contents.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Every time I walk into a Teala store at the mall it amazes me how simple the design is. First time I saw it I thought Jeep. I even asked if they had an off-road vehicle. Can’t just be for tree huggers. The benefits of instant torque at four wheels is a joy to experience. My test drive left me impressed. How could a family sedan be that quick off the start and that fast? The future looks bright.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I can see how it sounds odd but I see them around town. Some to power construction equipment or temporary traffic lights. All are self contained. Tesla has them all over the country. No grid needed. Just stand it up. Sun provides the juice. Add Powerpack style storage underground and available free power for all. Could also place at camp sites. No?

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Why do I see so much Tesla talk in here, a car brand that started the movement is getting washed out. Last I checked they lose money on every car produced and still cant push out model 3 (I was a reservation holder since 2nd day it opened) Their built quality is crap, materials used are worst then a econobox, only thing they have going for them is large screen, autopilot and driving dynamic because of battery pack low center of gravity.

BMW, MB, Porsche, VW and Volvo are heavily investing into Electric. No one has enough finances to compete with VW alone forget the rest of them.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
hybrids and electric are good for if you drive like down town only in Chicago and new york in a lot of stop and go traffic and thats it

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can see how it sounds odd but I see them around town. Some to power construction equipment or temporary traffic lights. All are self contained. Tesla has them all over the country. No grid needed. Just stand it up. Sun provides the juice. Add Powerpack style storage underground and available free power for all. Could also place at camp sites. No?
Tread lightly ring any bells?

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Tread lightly ring any bells?
If that were the biggest concern tires would never leave the pavement. We can have a small footprint and still do what’s best for all and not just some localized dirt. Wouldn’t having a smaller carbon footprint not be the ultimate treading lightly?

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If that were the biggest concern tires would never leave the pavement. We can have a small footprint and still do what’s best for all and not just some localized dirt. Wouldn’t having a smaller carbon footprint not be the ultimate treading lightly?
If you had charging stations installed out on the trail, the equipment to prep the area, deliver the supplies, etc. would not only tear up the trail, but would also tear down trees, plants, habitat, etc. to make room for the charging stations and space for the electric vehicles to park while charging. That's the opposite of treading lightly.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
If you had charging stations installed out on the trail, the equipment to prep the area, deliver the supplies, etc. would not only tear up the trail, but would also tear down trees, plants, habitat, etc. to make room for the charging stations and space for the electric vehicles to park while charging. That's the opposite of treading lightly.
Tough to argue with that.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I’m talking about trails that have established camp sites as far as larger operations or strategically placed around those trails that have heavy traffic. Does it really matter if 20 jeeps sit around waiting for a group to finish or a cell site was there permanently so they can charge up while sitting. Most of the infrastructure can be buried. Actual cell sites might be far away with underground cables bringing the juice. Don’t know. Lots of ways to get things done. What I know is it needs to eventually get done.

As far as equipment to build the sites. What’s the increased impact over the vehicles already wheeling.

Big picture. At some point in the future we are all better for it. Not happening anytime soon but we have to start sooner than later. That’s all.

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m talking about trails that have established camp sites as far as larger operations or strategically placed around those trails that have heavy traffic. Does it really matter if 20 jeeps sit around waiting for a group to finish or a cell site was there permanently so they can charge up while sitting. Most of the infrastructure can be buried. Actual cell sites might be far away with underground cables bringing the juice. Don’t know. Lots of ways to get things done. What I know is it needs to eventually get done.

As far as equipment to build the sites. What’s the increased impact over the vehicles already wheeling.

Big picture. At some point in the future we are all better for it. Not happening anytime soon but we have to start sooner than later. That’s all.
I would guess an electric plug-in Wrangler will not be made for off road and will be more of a street convertible. Battery capacity will be a limiting factor to the large portion of off roaders. There are not enough places where charging stations would be feasible for off roaders to be targeted with a true electric hybrid vehicle. One day it will happen, but that will require leaps and bounds in battery technology, then that technology to be proven and mass produced.
Sponsored