Full Plug-in Electric Wrangler in 2020!

1. Covfefe

Covfefe Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    USA
    Liked:
    Prius C Hybrid gets 50mpg city AND highway. With city driving, you'll never go fast enough for aerodynamics to take effect. I can definitely see 25-30mpg city for the Wrangler if done right.

xjgary and scramboleer like this.
  2. xjgary

xjgary Active Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    1993 Cherokee XJ
    Liked:
    For now, I agree. And that's why the 2020 version will be a Plug-in and not full electric. But, like you said, when battery capacity improves so a vehicle can get get 300-500 miles on a charge, that will be plenty to get you through the trail and to a place with charging capability. Some gas stations are already adding charging stations. The other possibility is small on-board fuel cells for charging, but my bet is better batteries, and charging times equal to a gasoline fill up. I've done the Rubicon (22 miles long) several times, Sierra Trek, Surprise Canyon to Panamint City, most trails in Death Valley, Mojave Road, and most of the trails at Moab. With a 20 gallon tank I never got close to running out. Mojave Road is over 100 miles long with no gas stations or stores. A 300 - 500 mile range on electric would work once the infrastructure is in place for charging before and after the trail.

scramboleer likes this.
  3. gibson

gibson Member

First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle(s):
    Chevy Blazer LT (2000)
    Liked:
    Hello guys ! I've got a old 2000 Chevy Blazer LT for the WE but my daily driver for commuting from home to work is a Mini Countryman Hybrid Plug-In. And I can therefore testify how cool a good PHEV can be. The Mini is great on snow (gazoline engine on the front wheels/electric engine on the rear wheels), it could evolve in full electric/no emission in the city, accelerates strong. Great car indeed ! (BMW 225xe relooked and rebadged actually).
    Concerning the future Wrangler PHEV, do you have an idea of the architecture ?
    The electric motor will power the front wheels ? Or the rear wheels ?
    And what transmission is expected ? a boring CVT transmission or a modern automatic transmission ?
    Would it come with the V6 or the 2.0L 4 cylinders ?
    Thx in advance for your answers !

scramboleer likes this.
  4. LeaN69

LeaN69 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR StinGray (GONE)
    Liked:
    It's still unknown as nothing has been released. If I had to make an education guess for manufacturer to make this as cost effectively as possible no new or revolutionary changes would be made.

Engine: Same 2.0 or 3.6
    Transmission: Same ZF8 architecture swapping the torque converter for electric motor and adding a battery pack.
    Therefore same RWD biased setup as it is now.

Look into current BMW 330e architecture and i bet itll be very similar in the wrangler.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/898889/bmw-plugin-hybrid-330e-technical-details/

scramboleer likes this.
  5. allenn

allenn Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Allen
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 jl 4 Door
    Liked:
    I wonder how much your electric bill goes up? From what I’ve read from some EV owners a good bit. Also last time I checked my electricity was natural gas or coal in my area.

6. scramboleer

scramboleer Well-Known Member

Liked:
    Good question. We parked our 2006 MDX and leased a FIAT 500e for commuting. Drove the MDX on weekends if need be. Our gas bill dropped from $280/month to $60/month (six month average). Our electric bill went up by $48/month (actual was $24/month, but we have free charging at work, so I doubled it to be conservative). The lease cost $120/month for the electric car. It was basically free.

7. scramboleer

scramboleer Well-Known Member

Liked:
    Also, your second question is common, but EVs are also cleaner, even if your grid is 100% coal. There are numerous studies that look at this, done by a variety of non-profits. EVs are not zero emission,but are far better for human health (air quality) as well as the planet (greenhouse gases).

xjgary and homerun like this.
  8. Majestic

Majestic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Lots of misinformation on this thread. But realistically this is what I see going on.

Full EV--forget it. The Wrangler is the worst possible candidate. The majority of the fanbase doesn't care about mileage, the shape is terrible, range would suffer (a 300 mile range Tesla battery DOES NOT equal 300 mile range in a Wrangler) and EV's require being leashed to an EV recharging infrastructure that for now existing primarily in cities and not where people envision themselves taking Wranglers. There's also the unpleasant fact that EV's produce little if any profit for any manufacturer. The recharging infrastructure that does exist is primarily made up of slow Level 2 destination chargers. Going full EV is a lifestyle commitment that has been shown most people want no part of.

Plug in Wrangler would most likely use the same system as the plug in Pacifica (which sells a fraction of it's gas counterpart).
    Pacifica uses a 16kWh battery that uses the space where the Fold and Go seats would normally fold into and provides about 33 miles of range. As far as I can tell, the Wrangler has at most half of that space available under the trunk area. That would theoretically leave enough space for just 8kWh of battery. If the Wrangler got the same mileage as the Pacifica (which it clearly does not), at most that 8kWh would be just 16.5 miles of range. Roughly adjusting for the mileage difference would leave you about 10 to 12 miles realistically. If that's a good deal or not would depend on the upcharge for the hybrid.

As far as an "electric Jerry can" goes, 5 gallons of gas can take you roughly 100 miles in a Wrangler. The weight is 30lbs. Assuming the Wrangler is as efficient as a standard EV (which again, it's obviously not), it would require at least 450 lbs of battery hanging off the rear tire (using a generic calculation derived from the weight and range of the much more efficient Model S battery comes out to roughly 4.5lbs of battery roughly for every 1 mile). If that 100 mile battery range only took a 24 kwh battery pack, at today's battery prices (about $209 per kwh) the "Jerry can" would cost about $5000.

scramboleer likes this.
  9. BenDiesel

BenDiesel Active Member

First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle(s):
    2003 tdi jettt, 2003 dodge ram Cummins quad cab, 2017 jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 1988 jeep yj
    Liked:
    I'll just leave this here

scramboleer likes this.
  10. BearJewJonny

BearJewJonny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JlU Sahara
    Liked:
    I love how this guy says there’s a lot of misinformation here when there’s actually no real information here just educated guesses hahahaha

xjgary and LeaN69 like this.
  11. Majestic

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    The key word word being “educated”.

12. LeaN69

LeaN69 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR StinGray (GONE)
    Liked:
    And then provide his own guesses.

xjgary likes this.
  13. Majestic

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    You just said the same thing the post you’re responding to said.

14. nbvolks

nbvolks Member

Vehicle(s):
    No Jeep yet
    Liked:
  15. IronScott

IronScott Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
    Liked:
    I thought they mentioned the earnings call talking about the PHEV, not necessarily the report. Maybe I misheard, though.

Here is a good article summarizing the call:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...-electric-car-cold-weather-performance?page=2

And the entire audio and transcript:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

nbvolks likes this.