First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I would guess an electric plug-in Wrangler will not be made for off road and will be more of a street convertible. Battery capacity will be a limiting factor to the large portion of off roaders. There are not enough places where charging stations would be feasible for off roaders to be targeted with a true electric hybrid vehicle. One day it will happen, but that will require leaps and bounds in battery technology, then that technology to be proven and mass produced.
Wouldn’t that depend on the type of off-road and where? Not everyone overlands. Not everyone has access to Moab. Not everyone will use up an entire gas tank so why would they use up an entire charge?

I don’t know how electic use converts to items like carrying load or climbing. Considering the amount of quickly available torque there may not be a correlation between gas capacity and charge capacity off-road. Might be electric is less or might end up being more. There’s a Jeep that was converted and I recall it went on the Rubicon or other trail similar. If I recall correctly. It was more efficient than gas counterparts.
Sponsored

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Isn’t making trails and driving vehicles through the trails and forestry the opposite of treading lightly as well? Last I checked there is generally not car sized trails perfectly carved into the land.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
People who are against an electric wrangler are people who are just against change. Tesla has already proven a properly done electric system can outperform pretty much 99% of other vehicles out there. As long as it’s done right it’ll be great.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Most EV and hybrids are about efficiency and therefore mpg. I am more interested in performance. I like the Tesla approach and even better the Porsche. I’ll be in line to retrofit my JL with a hybrid or fully electric if it increases H P. :rock::ninja::muscle:

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Isn’t making trails and driving vehicles through the trails and forestry the opposite of treading lightly as well? Last I checked there is generally not car sized trails perfectly carved into the land.
To use nature is not to abuse nature.
We're not cavemen. We've build houses, streets, cities etc But we can do it the right way.

Last edited:

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Most EV and hybrids are about efficiency and therefore mpg. I am more interested in performance. I like the Tesla approach and even better the Porsche. I’ll be in line to retrofit my JL with a hybrid or fully electric if it increases H P. :rock::ninja::muscle:
Are you looking for more HP or more torque?

What draws me to an electric Wrangler is:
Torque
Fuel cost (free charging stations at my work)
Technology "cool" factor (IT nerd)
Torque
Torque

Nomad_K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2016 4Runner
Are you looking for more HP or more torque?
Same boat - I would love to have all of that torque off the line. It may take an adjustment in technique but I think that instantaneous torque will be a lot of fun!

In terms of reliability and being able to withstand abuse, more than one company has field tested and abused both electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles for defense applications. Those vehicles can be very quiet, quite efficient, very flexible in terms of fueling and refueling, and I hear, second hand, that the right package can be a blast (no pun intended) to drive.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Good idea but until you can plug it in to a rock or tree it's useless. Want hybrid or plug in get a Prius.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Good idea but until you can plug it in to a rock or tree it's useless. Want hybrid or plug in get a Prius.
Hybrid. You can drive it with fuel only.
And when you are back in the city, where it counts, you drive electric again.
You are not on a trail for most of the time.

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Having owned an EV, I have a couple of thoughts...
  1. Replacement battery costs are major hurdles. This affects resale values.
  2. Few mechanics and shops will know how to fix whatever is broken.
  3. EV tends to have more Gremlins
  4. When gasoline prices drop EV resale values drop faster.
  5. EV is better suited to short city commuter hops.
  6. Recharge times ruin long trips!!!

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
Until you can comprehend the difference between a hybrid and an EV....... your opinion is useless

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Until you can comprehend the difference between a hybrid and an EV....... your opinion is useless
Learn how to read and your opinion mite matter but doubtful. OP title - Full Plug in Electric, as in no charge.. no go. Pretty tough to go wheeling when your batt goes dead. Just Sayin!

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Plug in rocks? One way to go green with least footprint. :)
Sponsored