Sponsored

Fuel Mileage With Top...Without Top...

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
I've been watching my overall MPG and comparing what I get with the top on and with the top off. I'm actually a bit surprised and I wonder if others are experiencing the same. With my top on and with highway driving at around 73 mph, I can squeeze 17.6 MPG out of my JLUR. Now, if I drive around 75 MPH with the top on, my mileage drops a bit...ehhh...around 15.8 MPG to 16.5 MPG, so I've found that 73 MPH is a good, optimum highway speed for me. With the top off and driving around the same speed again, that mileage drops off significantly...have been as low as 13.1 MPG and as high as 14.4 MPG. I would kinda' think you'd get better mileage with the top off but as logic dictates, you probably create more drag with the top off than on with the roll bars and spare tire acting as some sort of a wind catcher.

Anyway...I haven't seen a thread on here about this so I thought I'd ask to see if you guys...or gals...are experiencing the same. I know that tire size and lift affects mileage performance and I do have 35" tires and a 2" lift on my flying brick but I was just wondering what others are experiencing.
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I have noticed the same on my Sahara. With the top on I consistently average about 20.5-21.0 mpg for mixed driving. When I take the top and/or doors off, my mpg drops to about 17-18mpg. I'm running factory suspension, with the stock tire size but I have KM2's installed

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've been watching my overall MPG and comparing what I get with the top on and with the top off. I'm actually a bit surprised and I wonder if others are experiencing the same. With my top on and with highway driving at around 73 mph, I can squeeze 17.6 MPG out of my JLUR. Now, if I drive around 75 MPH with the top on, my mileage drops a bit...ehhh...around 15.8 MPG to 16.5 MPG, so I've found that 73 MPH is a good, optimum highway speed for me. With the top off and driving around the same speed again, that mileage drops off significantly...have been as low as 13.1 MPG and as high as 14.4 MPG. I would kinda' think you'd get better mileage with the top off but as logic dictates, you probably create more drag with the top off than on with the roll bars and spare tire acting as some sort of a wind catcher.

Anyway...I haven't seen a thread on here about this so I thought I'd ask to see if you guys...or gals...are experiencing the same. I know that tire size and lift affects mileage performance and I do have 35" tires and a 2" lift on my flying brick but I was just wondering what others are experiencing.
I have a JL Sahara. With the hard top on, I get 20-21 mpg. I had the top off for a week and I went down to about 18 mpg, however I do have a full length sunshade. Driving characteristics were roughly the same during both mpg tests.

I figured a few mpg drop would be expected. I’d be curious the difference between a sunscreen and a soft top.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have noticed the same on my Sahara. With the top on I consistently average about 20.5-21.0 mpg for mixed driving. When I take the top and/or doors off, my mpg drops to about 17-18mpg. I'm running factory suspension, with the stock tire size but I have KM2's installed
@Ntegtmeyer Nathan: that top you speak of in your personal MPG stats is the hard one, correct?

My driving's mostly non-highway and I've got the soft top on right now (and mostly not open) and the hard top's stored away, and a roof rack, and 18.5 is a good average for me.

Does the soft top, all else constant, if in closed position, compromise MPG's somewhat as compared to the hard top?

I wonder what the Bestop Sunrider product will do to MPG (not to be confused with first open position on the soft top, a.k.a. Sunrider position) when it's released.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Mine lost 2 to 3 mpg with top down. 20 to 17 on my Sahara.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Mine lost 2 to 3 mpg with top down. 20 to 17 on my Sahara.
@Bubba33 That makes sense to me Chris given the wind drag of an open soft top.

I wonder how a closed soft top compares in MPG to a closed hard top.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T