Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with your new Rubicon Xtreme Recon package? I personally have not been getting what is advertised on the sticker but also didn't buy this thing for the mileage either. Currently I am getting closer to 14-15 MPG on mine but I only have about 1100 miles on it too.
Based on everything I have seen, read on here, and experienced personally, I would say a JL on 35s is realistically bound to get anywhere between 14-17 MPG, 4.56 gearing notwithstanding. So you are right on the mark.

For some reason, Jeep was not required to re-state its MPG figures.

RidgebackWrangler

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Prius LE, 2021 Toyota Prius Prime
Based on everything I have seen, read on here, and experienced personally, I would say a JL on 35s is realistically bound to get anywhere between 14-17 MPG, 4.56 gearing notwithstanding. So you are right on the mark.

For some reason, Jeep was not required to re-state its MPG figures.
I believe they don't have to restate because this is not a wrangler edition its an addon package available for the Rubicon and Willys. You are choose to add the package Jeep isn't selling it as a base model. I could be wrong either way I added the option.

Mtb'er38

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hi all, new here.

I'm reading all of your posts about mpgs and I'm very surprised by the low numbers you're all getting. I have a '18 JL Unlimited with a Rubicon Wheel/tire package (BFG K02 33's) and a 6-spd stick with the 3.6L.

I bought it with 45k miles and I've put 7,000 miles on it since purchase.

I get a solid 18mpg with strictly city driving. Mixed city/ highway is usually about 19mpg. Straight up highway in 6th @73mph with the cruise control on I get 22-23mpg. How are you all getting such low mpgs?

Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi all, new here.

I'm reading all of your posts about mpgs and I'm very surprised by the low numbers you're all getting. I have a '18 JL Unlimited with a Rubicon Wheel/tire package (BFG K02 33's) and a 6-spd stick with the 3.6L.

I bought it with 45k miles and I've put 7,000 miles on it since purchase.

I get a solid 18mpg with strictly city driving. Mixed city/ highway is usually about 19mpg. Straight up highway in 6th @73mph with the cruise control on I get 22-23mpg. How are you all getting such low mpgs?
XR package has 35" tires and 4.56 gears, bit different than what you are running.

FWIW - I'm lifted 2.5" with 35" tires aired to 32psi, 4:10 gears, 2.0T and average between 17-18mpg. I think the numbers you all are seeing are "normal". I may air up a bit, see what happens. I also have full aftermarket steel skids, bumpers, and fenders. I'm a heavy toad.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Got a whopping 160 miles on it, picked it up yesterday. Averaging 11.3 so far 🤣 And that’s driving it with some sense. Have done a few…spirited runs and a good bit of city driving. I’m not planning on ever averaging above 12, especially once the 37s get put on.

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
My XR has around 400 miles on the engine, it's getting 15

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR ER, 2008 JKU Sahara, 2023 Yukon XL,

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
JLUR not XR and my jeep is stock as of right now (Waiting for our house to be finished being built - May). This is normal driving at posted speed limits, varying elevations, 80% highway - 20% city on one trip two weekends ago.

IMG_1126.JPG

Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with your new Rubicon Xtreme Recon package? I personally have not been getting what is advertised on the sticker but also didn't buy this thing for the mileage either. Currently I am getting closer to 14-15 MPG on mine but I only have about 1100 miles on it too.
Does anyone want to discuss the real problem with the Xreme Recon package on this Jeep? The real issue is there is only about 2 inches of travel between the bumps top and the axle! That's terrible for being able to take a vehicle off-road. Huge disappointment, I thought I was getting something with great capabilities as advertised and they made it stiff with no flex and not room to go off-roading without bottoming out. What a joke man. This was sold as a serious off road capable machine, the standard Rubicon has way more flex and ability to take a few bumps without bottoming out on your bumpstops.

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone want to discuss the real problem with the Xreme Recon package on this Jeep? The real issue is there is only about 2 inches of travel between the bumps top and the axle! That's terrible for being able to take a vehicle off-road. Huge disappointment, I thought I was getting something with great capabilities as advertised and they made it stiff with no flex and not room to go off-roading without bottoming out. What a joke man. This was sold as a serious off road capable machine, the standard Rubicon has way more flex and ability to take a few bumps without bottoming out on your bumpstops.
If you find that in fact after you are stuffed in the front and still have plenty of room left for up travel you could always install the Teraflex or Fox speed bump stops which results in cutting the upper perch off inside the spring. Then you can dial in the up travel you want. I have a regular JLUR with the Mopar lift right now and use the 2" of stop which I bet ends up about what the XR has for up travel to keep my 37's from tearing up the fenders. The 35's would stuff up nicely as it sits. My XR is ordered and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I plan to do a little comparing between the two once it arrives.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
If you find that in fact after you are stuffed in the front and still have plenty of room left for up travel you could always install the Teraflex or Fox speed bump stops which results in cutting the upper perch off inside the spring. Then you can dial in the up travel you want. I have a regular JLUR with the Mopar lift right now and use the 2" of stop which I bet ends up about what the XR has for up travel to keep my 37's from tearing up the fenders. The 35's would stuff up nicely as it sits. My XR is ordered and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I plan to do a little comparing between the two once it arrives.
Do you have measurements on the spring tower to axle on a stock Rubicon? I'm curious to see if what Jeep says is true. They say the XR get's 1.5 inches more lift to clear the 35's, I wonder if they are moving the spring hanger down or actually putting in spring lift to achieve this. I'm also working with Rockkrawler on dimensions to see what data they have on it. Going off-road and hitting a few mild bumps results in this thing bottoming out on the bumpstops which should never be the case for a Rubicon.

JJsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have measurements on the spring tower to axle on a stock Rubicon? I'm curious to see if what Jeep says is true. They say the XR get's 1.5 inches more lift to clear the 35's, I wonder if they are moving the spring hanger down or actually putting in spring lift to achieve this. I'm also working with Rockkrawler on dimensions to see what data they have on it. Going off-road and hitting a few mild bumps results in this thing bottoming out on the bumpstops which should never be the case for a Rubicon.
Yes. I measured my JLUR V6 with Steel Bumpers when I first got it on the lip of the top spring tower to the top of the axle and it measured at 10 3/4". With the Mopar lift it measured at 13 1/2". What does your XR measure at? From all the info I've seen so far, it appears the XR suspension is really just a taller spring and longer shock. I'm not sure why they lengthened that bump stop tower inside the spring versus putting in a removable bump stop on the bottom of the spring perch like they supply with the Mopar lift. I do feel as you have found that they did the minimum required work to clear 35's for daily on road use. A proper lift with a taller spring is still needed for nice offroad use which would provide you with more desired up travel. I'm trading my 21 JLUR for the 22 JLUR XR really for the axles/gears/brakes that the XR provides. I'm swapping my Mopar lift with the XR lift before I trade it in.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Here’s 733 highway miles at around 75 mph most of the time. These are very accurate numbers based on actual mileage and fill-ups.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Mileage - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Xtreme Recon Edition IMG_1126.JPG
That's about what I'm seeing on my XR with about 650 MIles on it, I do see 16.8 best MPG tho.
Sponsored