Fuel "Low" Light

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Not that I recommend this but had her to this level when I rolled in for gas. Good to know but won't do that again...... I'm not Kramer!

20180420_105505-1.jpg
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
When did you get the warning light... how many miles was until empty was displayed?

Yes, you probably know it is not really the best to run with little gas in the tank, especially in warm weather. Fuel pump is in the gas tank and it is cooled by the gas. Rough on fuel pump if not cooled properly.

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
52 I believe. I didnt fill it up completely. I was in anhurry and put enough to get me to my destination.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@ everyone else .. Fuel light... When it comes on, how many miles does the display say you can go til empty. I'd rather know this before I get on the interstate traveling across the states.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
25 when fuel light comes on and im pretty sure it goes at least 25 past zero :) take 17 and some change gallons when it says 20 miles left. i routinely find myself pushing the limits. think it has a 21 gallon tank so there should be a few gallons still in it when it comes on.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
25 when fuel light comes on and im pretty sure it goes at least 25 past zero :) take 17 and some change gallons when it says 20 miles left. i routinely find myself pushing the limits. think it has a 21 gallon tank so there should be a few gallons still in it when it comes on.
Good reporting Wess! Thank you

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
ran mine down to 11 miles, and it only took 18 gallons to refill, so must be 2 gallons left with zero miles remaining, not a normally practice for me, but its good to know how far you can actually go in an emergency. I'm thinking another 25-30 miles after display reads zero miles remaining, after that you are stranded on side of the road:facepalm:

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
if it's like other FCA vehicles - below "10 miles left" it won't give you a readout - it will change to "low miles".

every Mopar I've owned has been pretty conservative on those fuel gauge readouts; my Ram 3500, I've taken down to "low miles" a couple of times, but it's more a game I play with the wife than anything else (drives her batty). The closest I've gotten was having 1.7 gallons in the tank left (31 gallon tank, I put in 29.3gal) so spitball-math that's about 30-35 more miles. Not much when travelling down I-95.

the JLUs come with 21.5G tanks, so I would think if the readout said 20 miles left (which roughly is 1gal) and you put in 17.5ish gal, that's about on par. 18.5 gal to readout-empty, leaves 2gal, which is about 40 miles reserve

I'd prefer an accurate readout - but I'm sure there are many reasons for it to be set with the 'hidden reserve'

of course, I'm also the guy that never hits snooze on an alarm - I set it for when I NEED to get up, and I get up when it goes off. good old military training...

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just filled up my tank for the first time and actually hate that it just says "low miles" when it gets closer to empty. the other vehicle I had went all the way down to zero and still had Reserve, believe me I've push I've pushed the limits more than once! Lol I put in 18.9 gallons. Says 16.5 avg I'm doing to assume that was towards the ending part of my driving when I drove back from the dealership which was almost 80 miles I was getting 20.1 JLUR 2019

Sponsored

ChristineBauman

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler JLU
I Have a 2019 wrangler JLU, average 16 miles an hour on freeway weighed down with all camping gear. Fuel light came on at 25, switches to fuel low at 10 miles left…went 5 more miles and it took 19 gallons exactly to fill it up so. I’m assuming I had another 15/20 miles if I wanted to risk pissing of my fuel pump. Did anyone find confirm it’s a 20 or 21 gallon tank?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Ted @wibornz confirmed it is indeed 21 gallons in another thread.

Gregj

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Not that I recommend this but had her to this level when I rolled in for gas. Good to know but won't do that again...... I'm not Kramer!

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel "Low" Light 20180420_105505-1
The other day I was getting a little low on gas in my car...
Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel "Low" Light Need Gas.JPG

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ted @wibornz confirmed it is indeed 21 gallons in another thread.

Gregj
I have put in 21 gallons when I ran out of fuel about a 1/2 mile or so from the gas station. And another time I put 20.4 gallons of fuel in when I was just about out of fuel.

chrisjpeters

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu Rubicon
Occupation
Radiation Protection technician
ran mine down to 11 miles, and it only took 18 gallons to refill, so must be 2 gallons left with zero miles remaining, not a normally practice for me, but its good to know how far you can actually go in an emergency. I'm thinking another 25-30 miles after display reads zero miles remaining, after that you are stranded on side of the road:facepalm:
It's a 21.5 gallon tank. I get 17.5/18 a fill up when I run her dry. Lol. I think maybe these jlu's have maybe a 4 gallon reserve programmed in.
Sponsored