Sponsored

Fuel Filler Discriminator, Ecodiesel

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
is it just me or did we burn 3x DEF at altitude? I did a 5800 mile trip and added DEF before I left and three more times before I got home.
Not sure but I will definitely know soon! T minus 31 hours to lift off with this bad boy.
My wife and I are taking our JLURD from Orlando to Ouray on 7/6-7/17. Enjoy your trip!
We may just see you out there! 6/27-7/9 in Ouray/Silverton then 7/9-7/13 in Moab!

20210403_141840-01.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Please report back with fuel mileage/DEF usage

OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outstanding!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Added a 2.5 gal blue def halfway through the trip, and got the 500 mile warning when we made it to town. This thing did very well on the drive!

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Filler Discriminator, Ecodiesel 20210626_233639
Did you take the picture after a rest? Coolant temp looks low.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Did you take the picture after a rest? Coolant temp looks low.
That was the next morning when we were headed out to do Ophir. My coolant temp is pretty rock solid 210 unloaded, 220ish when towing. The only temp that varies a bit for me is oil and thats just when towing and either climbing or having the top on creating a ton of wind resistance. Highest I have seen is 250 but on the climb here to CO it averaged probably 230.

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
At my work, we have Gladiators as company pickup trucks, and we were all recently upgraded to diesel models. I removed the entire filler assembly to extract the discriminator, but after finding out how it's in there I have a much easier way I was able to remove the rest.

I'm assuming the discriminator portion is the same on the Wrangler as the Gladiator. Please forgive me if it is not, I don't have the ability to compare myself.

1 remove the fill cap
2 using a normal size set of channel lock pliers, open them up wide enough to grab the top of the spout at the top and bottom so you can squeeze it
3 rotate it either direction about 15Ā° so the clips disengage
4 discriminator assembly should slide out of filler tube
5 pry the three clips loose and separate the discriminator from the filler end piece
6 reinsert filler end piece so the clips engage at the top and bottom

If I remember, when I do the last truck in the next couple of days I'll try to take pictures. I just did two of them this way this afternoon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to see a video of the removal. I did my gladiator and had to drop the filler assembly

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
At my work, we have Gladiators as company pickup trucks, and we were all recently upgraded to diesel models. I removed the entire filler assembly to extract the discriminator, but after finding out how it's in there I have a much easier way I was able to remove the rest.

I'm assuming the discriminator portion is the same on the Wrangler as the Gladiator. Please forgive me if it is not, I don't have the ability to compare myself.

1 remove the fill cap
2 using a normal size set of channel lock pliers, open them up wide enough to grab the top of the spout at the top and bottom so you can squeeze it
3 rotate it either direction about 15Ā° so the clips disengage
4 discriminator assembly should slide out of filler tube
5 pry the three clips loose and separate the discriminator from the filler end piece
6 reinsert filler end piece so the clips engage at the top and bottom

If I remember, when I do the last truck in the next couple of days I'll try to take pictures. I just did two of them this way this afternoon.
Fingers crossed that this works on the JL too. Iā€™ll give it a shot this weekend, would love to see a video if you get time to make one.

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
I added a video I made this morning to my post. Removing the discriminator is simple after you get this part out, it's clipped on to the lip with 3 clips. Pry gently with a small flat head of knife if you want to save it. Or remove violently with whatever means necessary if you don't care.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are the man!

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I have really struggled with this one and the filler hose is still winningā€¦ I have tried a couple of ways to remove it. By the time I saw the channel locks suggestion I had already chipped the lip of my filler neck so I canā€™t get a good grip on itā€¦ I tried pulling the whole thing from the Jeep to do it in the bench and canā€™t get the filler free of the hoseā€¦at this point Iā€™m stopping before I do any serious damage I canā€™t undo myself. Maybe it needs more heat to keep the plastic flexible and Iā€™m trying in a Michigan fall.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I have really struggled with this one and the filler hose is still winningā€¦ I have tried a couple of ways to remove it. By the time I saw the channel locks suggestion I had already chipped the lip of my filler neck so I canā€™t get a good grip on itā€¦ I tried pulling the whole thing from the Jeep to do it in the bench and canā€™t get the filler free of the hoseā€¦at this point Iā€™m stopping before I do any serious damage I canā€™t undo myself. Maybe it needs more heat to keep the plastic flexible and Iā€™m trying in a Michigan fall.
Iā€™m having the same issue. Mine will NOT rotate at ALL. I need to gut this thing, I filled up for the first time yesterday and it was a pain in the ass. Iā€™m used to the wide open fill neck on my F-350, not this wired ass complicated thing.

OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a small flat head screw driver and go between hose and filler to break the seal