Sponsored

fuel consumption

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
If you're driving around in a city your gas mileage is right on point. I get 10-11 in NYC and I'm not aggressive at all. Stop and go kills your fuel economy.
Sponsored

Tiderian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Rubicon
I'm in a 2-door (3.6) with around 800 miles on it and I average about 18.5 so far.
A bit disappointed at that, but it's not awful for driving a non-streamlined brick around. :)

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you're driving around in a city your gas mileage is right on point. I get 10-11 in NYC and I'm not aggressive at all. Stop and go kills your fuel economy.
Yup, I'm getting 10.5 with my 38s and rarely going over 2500 on my 2 mile drive to work through downtown.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
2018 JLUR, tires aired down to about 31 pounds where the ride is the best for me. I know tread wear and fuel economy will suffer but I don't really care about that honestly. My lifetime average with 14,000 miles is 16.9 mpg

OP
OP
JLBrent

JLBrent

First Name
brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
2018 JLs have 18.5 gal tank and for some reason they went down to a 17.5 gallon tank in 2019 :(
Here's a shot from our 2019 Owners manual & I might need that extra gallon damn-it!
IMG_0291.JPG
Ok.. so here was the other issuse that I had. My buddy was saying there was something wrong with my Jeep because of the fuel consumption. He tells me he gets 575kms to a tank on his JLU.
Then I find out his 2016 JLU has a 22.5 gal tank. And yes. Mine is 17.5.
Cheers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBrent

JLBrent

First Name
brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Ok.. so here was the other issuse that I had. My buddy was saying there was something wrong with my Jeep because of the fuel consumption. He tells me he gets 575kms to a tank on his JLU.
Then I find out his 2016 JLU has a 22.5 gal tank. And yes. Mine is 17.5.
Cheers.
Sorry.. JKU

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
@JLBrent, I've got a 2019 2 door Rubicon with metal bumpers, hard top, 3.6L and 8 speed auto.

I just rolled past the 2,000 km mark on the Jeep, so I'm very close to you in terms of break in mileage.

My commute to the office is just under 10 km's each way along Highway 7 (Yonge to Warden) and I'm getting right around 16 mpg on average (~17.5 L/100 km). On longer highway drives I'm getting 21-22 mpg (~13.5-12.8 L/100km) if I keep it below 120 kph.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Sorry to bump this thread, I just stumbled across it while searching for answers to my own doubts. I am so far averaging 16.8 liters / 100 km with a manual trans 3.6.

I was thinking I was going to see somewhere between 12-14 L/100 KM. Not quite lol

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to bump this thread, I just stumbled across it while searching for answers to my own doubts. I am so far averaging 16.8 liters / 100 km with a manual trans 3.6.

I was thinking I was going to see somewhere between 12-14 L/100 KM. Not quite lol
@RDiddy , I see you've got a 2021, so I think at least some of what you're seeing (or not seeing) could be related to the mileage you have on your motor.

I've got ~6,500 KM's on my 2019 JL Rubicon now (3.6L, Auto, steel bumpers) and on a short drive from Richmond Hill to Oakville this past weekend (120 km's round trip), I averaged 13.1 L/100 KM or about 21.5 mpg. Traffic slowed down to about 30 KPH through the Pearson Airport area, but I managed to maintain 110-120 KPH for about 2/3's of the trip.

I think you'll start to see better fuel economy numbers once you get some more miles on the motor, although the Winter fuel we get in Ontario this time of year definitely wont help matters.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
@RDiddy , I see you've got a 2021, so I think at least some of what you're seeing (or not seeing) could be related to the mileage you have on your motor.

I've got ~6,500 KM's on my 2019 JL Rubicon now (3.6L, Auto, steel bumpers) and on a short drive from Richmond Hill to Oakville this past weekend (120 km's round trip), I averaged 13.1 L/100 KM or about 21.5 mpg. Traffic slowed down to about 30 KPH through the Pearson Airport area, but I managed to maintain 110-120 KPH for about 2/3's of the trip.

I think you'll start to see better fuel economy numbers once you get some more miles on the motor, although the Winter fuel we get in Ontario this time of year definitely wont help matters.
Hi Bumble Bee,

through some research on this topic, I see it said a lot that after a few thousand miles / kilometers the fuel consumption levels off. Is this just because the engine is still in break in / needs to wear off some extra metal friction and such internally, or what changes over the course of those 5000 KM?

Yes, you're correct. I only had about 300ish km on it when I did my first fill up the other night. I found the first tank of gas got eaten oddly quick, however I was coming from a 4 cylinder manual sedan previously so my 700 km per tank experiences are a thing of the past.

On a full fill up however it ranged me at 400~ km to empty... that seems a little aggressive, and so far I have been babying the throttle on this thing. Was just a little surprising to see... I wouldn't even be able to drive from my house to yours on one whole tank of gas.

Thanks for the context, by the way. Much appreciated.

Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I know it has already been said but winter mix takes a big hit on MPG's. I went from averaging 17-18 mpg mostly city driving, to 14-15.5mpg as the cold weather came. I just chalk it up to the winter gas and running the HVAC (heater) more often.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Bumble Bee,

through some research on this topic, I see it said a lot that after a few thousand miles / kilometers the fuel consumption levels off. Is this just because the engine is still in break in / needs to wear off some extra metal friction and such internally, or what changes over the course of those 5000 KM?

Yes, you're correct. I only had about 300ish km on it when I did my first fill up the other night. I found the first tank of gas got eaten oddly quick, however I was coming from a 4 cylinder manual sedan previously so my 700 km per tank experiences are a thing of the past.

On a full fill up however it ranged me at 400~ km to empty... that seems a little aggressive, and so far I have been babying the throttle on this thing. Was just a little surprising to see... I wouldn't even be able to drive from my house to yours on one whole tank of gas.

Thanks for the context, by the way. Much appreciated.
You'll definitely start to see some improvement in your fuel economy once you get past 3500-4000 km and the engine breaks in further, but like I said before, the Winter fuel mixture is going to pretty much erase any fuel economy improvements you're going to see, so you'll need to wait until the Spring to get a more accurate picture.

I believe the range to empty estimate is a calculation that's based on the type of driving you're doing (stop & go city vs steady state highway) and how aggressive you are with the throttle. My 2 door JL Rubicon almost always shows 400-425 km's to empty after a fill-up.

By the way, if I were going to take a trip to Ottawa, the JL would not be my first choice for transportation. I would actually take my more fuel efficient 570+ HP Camaro LOL.

With a tank full of Sunoco 94, cruising on the highway in 6th doing 100-110 kph, I can get ~10 L/100 km (~28 mpg) in my Camaro. I've driven to the track in St. Thomas Ontario, made 5-6 passes down the 1/4 mile and then driven home on one tank of gas. I can actually squeeze another 50-60 km's out of the tank if I run a 91 octane fuel instead of the Sunoco 94.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
You'll definitely start to see some improvement in your fuel economy once you get past 3500-4000 km and the engine breaks in further, but like I said before, the Winter fuel mixture is going to pretty much erase any fuel economy improvements you're going to see, so you'll need to wait until the Spring to get a more accurate picture.

I believe the range to empty estimate is a calculation that's based on the type of driving you're doing (stop & go city vs steady state highway) and how aggressive you are with the throttle. My 2 door JL Rubicon almost always shows 400-425 km's to empty after a fill-up.

By the way, if I were going to take a trip to Ottawa, the JL would not be my first choice for transportation. I would actually take my more fuel efficient 570+ HP Camaro LOL.

With a tank full of Sunoco 94, cruising on the highway in 6th doing 100-110 kph, I can get ~10 L/100 km (~28 mpg) in my Camaro. I've driven to the track in St. Thomas Ontario, made 5-6 passes down the 1/4 mile and then driven home on one tank of gas. I can actually squeeze another 50-60 km's out of the tank if I run a 91 octane fuel instead of the Sunoco 94.
It seems insane to me that you somehow get better fuel economy out of that Camaro, but hey, I get that the wrangler is a box on wheels.

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This seems like the right thread to talk about this. I have a 2018 JLUR with Mopar lift and 315/70 R17 KO2s. I've had this setup now for about a year.

We took a 300-mile trip in August 2020 with a Thule cargo box on the roof. We averaged right at 19.0-mpg.

Just went on the same trip last week (November 2020) without the cargo box, and we averaged barely 16-mpg. Same passengers and--likely--same amount of luggage in the trunk.

Is this a result of "winter mix" gas?

Nothing else changed about the Jeep other than a Jeep Wave oil change/tire rotation and the TSB fix for the steering.

My other car is a diesel (Land Rover) which gets diesel mileage regardless of passengers, load, temperature, etc.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
It seems insane to me that you somehow get better fuel economy out of that Camaro, but hey, I get that the wrangler is a box on wheels.
My Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with a 5.7 Hemi averaged 19.5 mpg, my JL 3.6 averages 18.7 mpg in the same area. My Camaro SS never broke 14 mpg in the same area lol, driver error.

This seems like the right thread to talk about this. I have a 2018 JLUR with Mopar lift and 315/70 R17 KO2s. I've had this setup now for about a year.

We took a 300-mile trip in August 2020 with a Thule cargo box on the roof. We averaged right at 19.0-mpg.

Just went on the same trip last week (November 2020) without the cargo box, and we averaged barely 16-mpg. Same passengers and--likely--same amount of luggage in the trunk.

Is this a result of "winter mix" gas?

Nothing else changed about the Jeep other than a Jeep Wave oil change/tire rotation and the TSB fix for the steering.

My other car is a diesel (Land Rover) which gets diesel mileage regardless of passengers, load, temperature, etc.
There's something else going on here, I've never had a 3 mpg hit from winter gas on any of my vehicles unless something is different about it in your region. Possibly there was more traffic this time around (more on/off throttle), or was it windier out this time (headwind)? Probably some other variable other than the gas.
Sponsored