Fuel and oil refresh mode ?

TH0R

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
I just seen this pop up when I started my 4XE, to fast to take pic, but does anyone k is what this m
Sponsored

rdmelton

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
If the ICE (engine) has not been operated in a while, the computer will start it to make sure that the gas doesn't degrade too much and that the engine oil gets circulated. The 4xe supplemental manual describes it.

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021, JLU ex4 HA
Hi guys, does anyone know how long the refresh lasts? My commute is only 8 miles (15-20min) each way, I have put about 300miles on this and only burned about 1/2 tank.
I had read it was 20min of engine run time and if you don't hit the 20min, it will start over. It said you can also put 4gal of fresh gas in and that should reset it. Mines been in refresh mode for about 5 days even though I had ran the engine for more than 20min in stop and go. I can start it in electric, but as soon as the engine kicks in for any reason (usually accelerating to fast), it goes into refresh.. I filled it up yesterday, but got the refresh this morning again. Maybe I need to go on a longer drive.

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021, JLU ex4 HA
UPDATE: I drove the car home from work, about 20 min, and was still getting the fuel and oil refresh. Getting frustrated I called Jeep and of course they didn't know how long it would take to reset and told me to bring it in. I figured all service would do is a longer drive as a test. SO, I kept it in idle in the driveway for about 15min, then drove about 30min to run an errand. On the way home it finally cut to electric while at low speed. I pushed the electric button to confirm and it looks like its resolved. That just seems like an excessive amount of time and effort to clear the refresh. I guess the moral of the story is if you get the notice, drive the car for more than 30min in one go to clear.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this fuel refresh issue and had similar results? I've had my 4xe since April and I'm still on my 4th tank of gas. I do a lot of short trips around town and can go weeks without burning gas other then when I hit the accelerator a bit hard (which happens nearly daily). For about a week now the engine has been running every time I start it and I get the fuel refresh notice. I drove it 20ish miles on Friday twice, probably just under that 30 minute limit. I guess I need to build in a road trip.

My vehicle is subject to the "PHEV HV CABLE CONNECTOR SEAL" recall but the dealer hasn't been able to get the parts. I'm hoping this refresh mode issue and the recall are not related.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
There has been talk the oil temp needs to get to 205 to 210 F for some time.

Someone on the 4xe forum found he need to let the engine idle for several minutes, with AC off after a long drive to get the oil temperature hot enough.

I'd bring up the oil temp on the center cluster and see if you can keep it over 205 for 5 to 10 minutes.

Avocado

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Hello,

I recently experienced this and wrote about it on the 4xe forum. I got some good input from the guys over there about this.

There are two causes for the FORM.

Fuel refresh - if you have not fueled up for 90 days the fuel refresh mode will kick in and the ice will run. Adding 4ga of fuel should resolve this.

The FORM will also kick in if the Jeep detects that you need to refresh the oil.

To satisfy the oil refresh mode requirements you need to operate the ice at a running temperature above 205f for ~20 minutes.

So, on short drives you will likely never get much time above 205f.

I actually had to work pretty hard to get my oil temperature up to 205f because the ambient temperature outside at the time was ~12f.

To do this I tried idling for a while but that wasn’t working so I put it in low and went for a short drive to get the temp up.

As I was doing this after about 20 minutes the FORM went away.

You can see the message under messages ad an indicator of when it’s active.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
Hello,

I recently experienced this and wrote about it on the 4xe forum. I got some good input from the guys over there about this.

There are two causes for the FORM.

Fuel refresh - if you have not fueled up for 90 days the fuel refresh mode will kick in and the ice will run. Adding 4ga of fuel should resolve this.

The FORM will also kick in if the Jeep detects that you need to refresh the oil.

To satisfy the oil refresh mode requirements you need to operate the ice at a running temperature above 205f for ~20 minutes.

So, on short drives you will likely never get much time above 205f.

I actually had to work pretty hard to get my oil temperature up to 205f because the ambient temperature outside at the time was ~12f.

To do this I tried idling for a while but that wasn’t working so I put it in low and went for a short drive to get the temp up.

As I was doing this after about 20 minutes the FORM went away.

You can see the message under messages ad an indicator of when it’s active.
Avocado,

Thanks for your post, it was dead on. After running short trips around town for a week or more I put more than 4g of gas in the vehicle and the FORM mode did not go away. But I went for a 25 mile drive and forced the oil temp to stay above 205 by using manual mode on the transmission to keep RPMs between 2500 and 3k and that did the trick. Anyone who has a freeway commute or regular journey of any distance is probably not going to need to do this but I am an extreme example of short electric only trips.

Last edited:

JackDaniels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Has anybody had the FORM not got away? We have ran the Jeep to empty and filled it up then after that have left the Jeep running for an hour with it at high idle getting the temperature to about 212f. We have had no luck getting it out of FORM

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
Has anybody had the FORM not got away? We have ran the Jeep to empty and filled it up then after that have left the Jeep running for an hour with it at high idle getting the temperature to about 212f. We have had no luck getting it out of FORM
Yup. Every single time I start my Jeep, and it's barely below freezing where I'm at. Doesn't matter that I just filled up or used the ICE for extended periods the day before (mind you, not by choice, rather because of the same issue). It does resolve temporarily but once the vehicle is cold again the issue comes back. This seems to be a software issue where the temperature alone triggers FORM and the FORM state is not properly stored once it's complete. Whether it'll be fixed when the CEO of Stellantis is so hostile towards EVs, IDK.

Sponsored

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
Yup. Every single time I start my Jeep, and it's barely below freezing where I'm at. Doesn't matter that I just filled up or used the ICE for extended periods the day before (mind you, not by choice, rather because of the same issue). It does resolve temporarily but once the vehicle is cold again the issue comes back. This seems to be a software issue where the temperature alone triggers FORM and the FORM state is not properly stored once it's complete. Whether it'll be fixed when the CEO of Stellantis is so hostile towards EVs, IDK.
Pull the oil dipstick out and smell it , does it smells like gas ?

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
Pull the oil dipstick out and smell it , does it smells like gas ?
Yes it does. Pretty strongly. Thanks for the suggestion. Oil life says 30% but I'm guessing my driving habits the past two weeks have been throwing that off? I've only had it for two months and was thinking an Oil change would be way far away but I guess not. I suppose the FORM is not a false alarm in my case, rather triggered by the cold weather. My apologies to Stellantis' software team. I didn't rule out the hardware.

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
Yes it does. Pretty strongly. Thanks for the suggestion. Oil life says 30% but I'm guessing my driving habits the past two weeks have been throwing that off? I've only had it for two months and was thinking an Oil change would be way far away but I guess not. I suppose the FORM is not a false alarm in my case, rather triggered by the cold weather. My apologies to Stellantis' software team. I didn't rule out the hardware.
Yep , time to make an appointment to have it serviced . Sooner rather than later .

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Yep , time to make an appointment to have it serviced . Sooner rather than later .
Or, change the oil in the garage. And, don't trust the OLM explicitly.

MissAnnThorpe

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Sahara 4xE
change the oil in the garage
Sadly, it's street parking for me. And yeah, given where I live it was less than a month before somebody broke the window. Wasn't even anything visible. Later that day somebody hit and run both right fenders. Gonna have to get some armor just for parking around here.

time to make an appointment to have it serviced
I'm taking it to get that repaired and the oil changed tomorrow. I'll update after. Thanks again for the suggestion I check the oil's smell.
Sponsored