Sponsored

Fuel and Oil Refresh mode in Progress Engine Running - STUCK!!!

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Good day,

I have been stuck in that mode for over 6 day.
I live in Alberta Canada, it is getting cold.

Thing I try
- My Fuel tank reach half way, I fill up the tank but still stuck in that mode.
- I drove on the highway, '' Using E-Save to charge the battery and using manual to rev the RPM higher"", for 30 minute with my goal to have the engine oil over 93°C (199.4°F), but again still stuck in that mode :(

Is that mean that every winter I will be using my ICE engine ???
How can I use electricity again?
Sponsored

Lowcountry4XE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Sahara
I had similar problem recently although I am in SC. Lots of threads out there on this for 4XE and the Pacifica but nothing crystal clear on how to clear out of this mode. It seems like the fill up clears the refresh mode if gas is the problem pretty quickly but that it is more difficult to get out of the oil refresh. What I did to clear was to idle to get temp above 205F. Idling is the quickest/easiest way to get temp up because you have no air flow on engine or radiator. I think clearing requires two things, temp at 205F and then some time at that temp.

jmm-4xe

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU 4xe Sahara
Resetting the oil life might clear it if you want a work around.

Avocado

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4xe
You need to get the engine hotter.

Run until the oil temp exceeds 98c until the Furl Oil Refresh Mode message goes away.

I also live in Alberta and have had this same difficulty.

You will struggle to reach that temperature just by driving on the highway.

I am using the mopar winter front and my engine temp only gets hot enough if I put it in manual mode to keep the revs higher.

You will reset the FORM if you can get the engine/oil temp high enough for long enough.

I did mine 3 weeks ago (been fine since) after driving for a week with the problem until others on this forum pointed out I needed to get the temperature higher for longer.

Hope this helps.

Here are the install instructions for the winter front - most places don’t seem to advertise the actual winter front but they show the big screen in their description.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/bee0abf7ab2d4488ea051475da41969c.PDF

Here is the part number I used for the winter front: 82215366

TheCarFather

First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Sahara
Starting to look like this is going to become a problem for us that live in colder climates during the winter months. I'm expecting to encounter this for the first time in another month or so, which of course will be even colder outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to get the engine hotter.

Run until the oil temp exceeds 98c until the Furl Oil Refresh Mode message goes away.

I also live in Alberta and have had this same difficulty.

You will struggle to reach that temperature just by driving on the highway.

I am using the mopar winter front and my engine temp only gets hot enough if I put it in manual mode to keep the revs higher.

You will reset the FORM if you can get the engine/oil temp high enough for long enough.

I did mine 3 weeks ago (been fine since) after driving for a week with the problem until others on this forum pointed out I needed to get the temperature higher for longer.

Hope this helps.

Here are the install instructions for the winter front - most places don’t seem to advertise the actual winter front but they show the big screen in their description.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rp-part-images/assets/bee0abf7ab2d4488ea051475da41969c.PDF

Here is the part number I used for the winter front: 82215366
I feel like they should run a patch or do something. If at -10c I cannot reach those high temperature on the highway, I will never reach those temperature at - 20c to - 45c this winter in Alberta.
Not normal and great for the engine to just drive on the highway using a a lower gear to heat the engine.
I may get that cover great idea for now. I have an apt and will get my oil first oil change at 6000 km. Was hoping to get to 10 000 km at least I'm only at 50% life on the oil but will try that. Maybe fresh oil will help the issue.

Last edited:

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The 4xe needs active grill shutters!

Reports are sitting idle after long drive will get the temp up since air isn't moving through. Having AC on may also cause issues with getting engine temp up. I suspect that may make the fans run faster and pull more air through.

Trident1231

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler sahara
Occupation
Dental hygienist
My 4xe has 9000kms on it , 5 inch lift and 37s. I've been in oil and gas refresh for the past 3 gas tanks.. couldn't engage into eletric mode. All I did was reset the oil in the computer, viola eletric mode was available again.

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still feel should not the how we fix the issue. Anyone from jeep have a fix? Lol
I filant fix mine by driving 2 hrs on the hiway. Was - 3 degrees C. I feel will have hard dime when it is - 40 degrees C.

skijeeper

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi 4xe
Hey folks,

Question: did y'all experience this issue before doing the software recalls or after?

I have about 14000 km on my 4xe and have been stuck in FORM since I took it in for software recalls on November 1st. I can only access the Electric drive mode if selected before the ICE engine kicks in. The only way to get back to Electric from E-Save or Hybrid once the gas engine engages is to turn the d*mn thing off and back on again.

Even the dealership - which didn't bother reading the notes I left - tried to tell me there are no issues because there were no fault codes. My response was pretty straight forward: "Did you read the notes?" "Oh. Uhhh no. We'll take it back out and try again." Sure enough they experienced the same issue we're all having in a road test, but still no fault codes appeared.

I'm currently waiting to drop the vehicle off for service because, and I quote the service rep, "Engineering wants to take a look at this be cause they've never seen this issue before. They want to plug it in and service it directly."

I find it hard to believe this is the first time they've heard of it. What's the point of having a PHEV if you can't use the electric drive?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For em was after. But the update has noting to do with that issue. No update are related to the fuel regen. The cold temperature I think is the factor. As to clear the code, you need to raise the temperature higher for over 20 min. If too cold, it almost impossible to reach those temperature. That is the issue.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I've been stuck in FORM since Late Oct or Early November. Over 1200 miles, several long drives, and it's been a warm fall/winter up here (was just like 54 degrees today). I have filled the tank up multiple times, but I can NOT get out of the mode at all. It's ridiculous that I can't use electric only. (only 3800 miles on the Jeep)

Avocado

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I would advise against just resetting the oil life (unless it was actually changed).

When the FORM comes on try sniffing the oil on the dipstick - chances are it’ll smell like gasoline.

The Jeep is doing this for a valid reason - to burn off fuel that has leaked by into the engine oil.

Remember on a conventional vehicle it was bad practice to only drive the car for short distances/periods of time because it never got up to temperature or never charged the battery properly.

Same is true for the PHEV only this kind of engine running behaviour happens a lot more frequently when running in hybrid mode - your typical drive to work might be 99% electric but if the engine runs 1-2 x per trip that adds up quick.

I’ll admit the FORM comes on pretty frequently in winter but I have always been able to clear it by getting the engine temp up above 97c for 20-30 minutes.

I live in Calgary, Alberta. today it got down to -33c you’ll be happy to know the Jeep runs just fine at these temps but the engine will turn on and it’s pretty easy to guess why, even from just a heating perspective let alone other factors.

The 4xe is clearly equipped with an electric heater that appears to be assisted by engine heat.

If the electric heater is rated at 6kW and you want to take air that is -20c and pump it out at +25c you need to achieve a delta T of 45c.

I’m not going to do the math but a 6kW (or what ever is in the 4xe) is not going to cut it, so the engine comes on…

I’ve tested this theory in milder temps, turn the fan up and the engine comes on, turn it down and the engine turns off.

Anyway - get a winter front, it’ll help, if you really want to go all the way consider trying to seal the area below the engine bay to conserve heat, I haven’t gone that far, haven’t needed to yet.

For those not familiar with winter fronts, they are essentially a wind blocker for your radiator and or engine bay. You will typically see them on large diesel trucks. They conserve engine heat by blocking the cold air from passing through the radiator and engine bay and stripping away engine heat as you drive down the road.

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I wonder how many more folks are dealing with this issue of vehicle not generating enough heat due to very cold outside temperatures . Cold weather has set in across the north country . Good luck , I'm thinking that many are going to be dealing with this issue where overnight temps are below -20 f and barely above 0 f for daytime highs for many days in a row .

skijeeper

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubi 4xe
First off, thanks to Avocado for the comprehensive breakdown.

It’s clear that living in a colder climate is making this more difficult for some of us, but I’m not dealing with the extreme prairie cold and it’s still happening…

I’m noticing that a lot of the solutions here are just treating symptoms, not the root issue.

Yes, FORM serves an important function (though other automakers have a minimum run-time for their PHEV ICE engines in place of FCA’s FORM - Audi’s is 5-10 minutes of ICE runtime depending on outside temperature, and you cannot return to pure electric mode until that passes), but in the 2 weeks my jeep was in the shop, FCA engineers admitted it shouldn’t be stuck in FORM the way we’re experiencing it. Period.

Their “solutions” were to either run the engine temp up over 180 for 20-30 minutes or drive in E-Save for 2 hours consecutively, without interruption. Running the engine temp up is the riskier of the two options, and my response was fine, if that’s your solution, then you do it, and if anything goes wrong, it’s on you the service team. The second solution was less risky but a bigger chunk of my time. Turned out to solve the trick: run for 2 consecutive hours in E-Save uninterrupted.

The engineers still conceded that A) this should not be happening and B) they have no idea why it’s getting stuck.”

I think the more we raise the issue, the more likely FCA will work to solve the concern, not just put a bandaid on it. I freaking love my 4xe and I plan on keeping this sucker for a long time, and I don’t want to have to plan around this issue every so often for the foreseeable future 🤣
Sponsored