Sponsored

FTC Recent Warranty Ruling--impact to Jeep owners?

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
Anyone see this recent ruling/advisory from the FTC?

From the FTC Website:

"According to the Mag-Moss Warranty Act:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name.
In other words, companies can’t void a consumer’s warranty or deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer uses a part made by someone else or gets someone not authorized by the company to perform service on the product.

There are only two exceptions: 1) if the company provides the article or service to consumers for free; or 2) if the company gets a waiver from the FTC. Under 15 U.S.C. § 2302(c), the FTC may grant a waiver only if the company proves that “the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and the waiver is in the public interest.” Companies may, however, disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of unauthorized parts or service."

Now I am no lawyer, but this sounds like something that could impact us Jeep owners. Any thoughts?

A couple sources:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2018/04/ftc-staff-sends-warranty-warnings
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...panies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...turns-out-feds-say-those-warnings-are-illegalhttps://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...panies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
This hasn’t changed anything, it’s been the law for a long time - the FTC just warned a handful of companies that they were violating the existing law.

If the FTC continues to be strict on this and brings down the hammer on a few companies, it may make it easier for us to get our stealerships to follow the law...

OP
OP
halw9000

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This hasn’t changed anything, it’s been the law for a long time - the FTC just warned a handful of companies that they were violating the existing law.

If the FTC continues to be strict on this and brings down the hammer on a few companies, it may make it easier for us to get our stealerships to follow the law...

I appreciate the input. It sounds like you are implying they are not following the law already? Is that right?

The only real big mods I'll be putting on my JLU Sahara (when I get it!) are some 33'' Nitto Terra Grappler tires & 17'' wheels, so I am not worried about voiding any warranty. Just thought it was curious and wondered if anyone had more thoughts!

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I appreciate the input. It sounds like you are implying they are not following the law already? Is that right?

The only real big mods I'll be putting on my JLU Sahara (when I get it!) are some 33'' Nitto Terra Grappler tires & 17'' wheels, so I am not worried about voiding any warranty. Just thought it was curious and wondered if anyone had more thoughts!
You do hear the ocassional story of a warranty claim being denied due to aftermarket mods, but honestly at this point I think most the "I put 33s on and they won't warranty my air conditioner" stuff is just typical Internet Urban Legend... Every board will have stories about 'some guy' who's dealer wouldn't reapir his {jeep|wrx|s2000|tacoma|etc} because he got the oil changed somewhere else, but I've never actually seen one of those verified.

My point about making things easier was really about avoiding the conversation with the service manager altogether.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Shop around dealers for an amenable service advisor ; better to go to a regular guy than a turd .

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Well...I'm not sure about everyone else however; when I bought my extended warranty (mainly b/c of the new 8sp transmission) for my JLUR, I told the dealer what I was planning to do to the vehicle. I have a "waiver" written...yes, it IS in writing...into that agreement so my warranty is NOT voided to cover things being done to the JLUR that are not Mopar related.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
In the real world, the Magnuson Moss Warranty act is not the White Knight of consumer protection like many quote it to be on the internet. At the individual consumer level, the consumer is still on the hook to bring legal action on their dime to sue in Federal Civil Court to enforce the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The FTC does not have a team of lawyers to fight for individual consumers in this regard.

OP
OP
halw9000

halw9000

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the real world, the Magnuson Moss Warranty act is not the White Knight of consumer protection like many quote it to be on the internet. At the individual consumer level, the consumer is still on the hook to bring legal action on their dime to sue in Federal Civil Court to enforce the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The FTC does not have a team of lawyers to fight for individual consumers in this regard.

Appreciate the insight--that makes perfect sense. I was just thinking it was an interesting topic and I like hearing what you all have to say. I'm not looking to file any lawsuits haha.
Sponsored