rubicawn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I am stumped. I haven't been able to find any solid or helpful info in regards to mounting a FSR Adventure Series 55" Manual Tri-Layer Tent to my Maximus-3 Roof Rack with Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Long (76"x54"). Nothing seems to line up properly from the tent to the rack and it is impossible to fit my hand underneath the rack to get to the provided u-bolt's that FSR provided for the installation. Not only that, but when the tent is sitting on top of the rack, the 3 bolts (pictured) make contact with the rack which cause it to sit higher. I don't know if this is safe and/or how long it would hold up if I am able to mount it somehow with the bolts still making contact.

I have contacted FSR directly but unfortunately all they told me to do was "drill into the platform and mount the tent that way". This left me even more confused then I was. I have looked on multiple forums, YouTube, Google, Instagram, Facebook...nothing.

image0.jpeg
Sponsored

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
In this case I would be tempted to purchase some low profile strut channel bolt that to the pioneer rack in an appropriate location where it will line up with those corn nuts. Use strut channel bolts from inside the tent to mount to the strut channel. That low profile strut channel is I believe about 3/4 high.
Strut channel bolts work well with the pioneer rack to bolt anything to it really. You would just have to be careful with the length of bolt that you use from inside the tent because you only have a certain amount of room for a bolt protrude through the strut nut before you start hitting the rack if you follow I’m trying to say

Last edited:

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I was going to write up a bigger post on how I mounted my CVT tent on my pioneer platform but here are the highlights....

I basically added/drilled 6 new bolts through the tent and support bar and used the Rhino Rack eye bolt kit to bolt into.

I first bought a piece of fiberboard so I could cut it to the size of the tent, allowed me to measure where the holes need to be from the Jeep to the tent.

84E584B1-CF89-47EB-BAB0-9D4C71A40EE5.jpeg

I used that board to line up to the rails of the pioneer platform:
34297956-8355-430E-B537-E0E7CCB3293C.jpeg

Using that pattern I drilled the holes through the tent from the bottom, put the aluminum rails back on and then drilled through the rails from inside the tent. Be super careful to not drill through any tent fabric!!

In the end I had the 6 bolts through the tent supplied aluminum rails.
F18E87E9-5A02-4A45-80B6-69981E198DD0.jpeg
25CC978F-0264-436A-AE43-DB403EF37E5E.jpeg

706D18F5-5989-4917-9CCC-43A22E75B797.jpeg

(The above picture you see I added a couple extra 1x1 aluminum bars to just transfer the weight to the rack, figured why not)

From inside the tent I have to tighten the bolts to hold the tent secure once it’s on the rack. The trick is to slide the bolts into the rails of the tent while loose and carefully open the tent to gain access to the bolts. The small bolt is what holds the factory aluminum bars to the tent, the larger is what I added to hold the tent to the rack.

258D702B-8B6B-456E-B8DD-E105DA5A40FB.jpeg
28CAD5FE-B668-4037-8D07-1C7C07C423C7.jpeg

I did have to order some custom bolts and aluminum spacers. The eye bolt kit has 10mm thick bolts and the thickness of my tent floor and the aluminum mounting bars I had to use a 65mm length bolt. I made the hole inside the tent a little bigger so the spacer could go in, the spacer lets me tighten down the bolts without crushing the floor.

DA523176-4AC6-4A76-B092-D37FC697ADF6.jpeg

So far I’m pretty happy although a pain to install and remove the tent as you have to open the tent to tighten/loosen the bolts. Price you pay for a slim rack I guess.

View attachment 270870

View attachment 270871

View attachment 270875

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Is there a reason why you couldn’t just bolt the tent flat to the platform and not use the aluminum strut channels?
The main issue for my tent the edges aren’t totally flat. The two straps to hold the PVC cover on are attached to the bottom side of the tent frame. The channel you slide one side of the PVC cover into would also be inaccessible, you couldn’t take the cover completely off as you can’t slide it out. Easiest solution was to keep the aluminum mounting rails on the tent for that little extra clearance.
Sponsored