Sponsored

Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in...

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
Okay just an update... I did finally get the filter off. I ended up a tool similar to one posted but I found one that had more teeth to it and it did the trick. I also bought the valve grinder compound if the new tool didn't work. The tool was bought at my local autozone. They had the one pictured above but this one rackets and had more teeth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in... 20211219_110229

I found out in the end the rubber seal on the oil filter was dry as a bone. Plus when screwing in the new filter it would get stuck half way...? Unscrewed it and tried again and same issue. The threads look okay but tried a third time and started to tighten about half way but if you pulled the filter to the right towards the oil pan it would thread all the in. I took it off and did it again and had to do the same trick... Weird.

So anyways, I got the new filter on, tighten the oil drain plug and filled it with oil and turned it on and saw no leak. Crazy that a simple oil change caused so much frustration but I got to learn about some new tools and methods. Plus this is a great forum unlike others I've been on.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Okay just an update... I did finally get the filter off.

...when screwing in the new filter it would get stuck half way...? Unscrewed it and tried again and same issue. The threads look okay but tried a third time and started to tighten about half way but if you pulled the filter to the right towards the oil pan it would thread all the in. I took it off and did it again and had to do the same trick...
Next time, you might consider testing the male & female threads using 2-3 oil filters, to determine where the deficiency resides: on the filter itself (which means it can be put aside), or on the vehicle, which is a bit more serious.

Possibly you damaged the threads on the vehicle when you perforated and attempted to remove the original filter using a screwdriver.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Okay just an update... I did finally get the filter off.... Crazy that a simple oil change caused so much frustration but I got to learn about some new tools and methods. Plus this is a great forum unlike others I've been on.
Jeep Wrangler JL Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in... toast2

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
I have not tried it on the 4xe yet but as soon as I get through my 3 free oil changes that will be the last time the dealer does it I have three cars and a boat. I went to this type of wrench and makes my life a lot easier. Now if they cross threaded putting it on it may not help.

31ElcIqLMbL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg
ugh, I tried one of these on my wife's Highlander. A plastic cartridge style under the vehicle. It cracked the housing. Not pretty. I despise plastic cartridge's and much prefer the old school metal spin on filters.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I despise plastic cartridge's and much prefer the old school metal spin on filters.
Simply convert to the spin on. My last cartridge filter change was in the 90's on the Izuzu generators. They were a major PITA!! The housings were at least metal but the multiple 0-rings were easy to nick or become unseated during installation.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
On my old expedition the filter wouldn’t budge. I pierced it with a screwdriver and tried to turn it and the screwdriver just kept peeling open like a sardine can. Eventually what worked was I angled the screwdriver on the base and struck it with a hammer to slowly turn it counterclockwise.
My dad says years ago he had a car come into the shop and they had to use a torch haha. Glad that wasn’t me!

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
I bought one of those to get the filter off a Chevy Equinox, didn’t work. Returned it and pounded a screwdriver through and that did the trick.
I did the same thing once on my old '83 grand prix. Then the screwdriver continued to rip through the filter so I was more f'd than when I started. Then I had a super jagged structurally weakened filter. And since it was my only vehicle at the time I was doubly f'd, because I lived 30 miles from anything. Several lessons learned that week.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Don't feel bad. I literally shredded the filter on my first change (2.0). I tried a strap wrench to start and it wouldn't budge. I like the sand paper idea, but I tried every other thing in the effing tool box. Ended up jamming a large screwdriver through the entire thing, and finally got it to budge. I was starting to panic as I had a trip planned. Took me a couple of hours, and like many of you, I have changed oil on EVERY car I have owned. I'm 62. Lots of cars. By far the worst experience I've ever had changing oil.

With that noted, I definitely prefer a vertical filter out the bottom to the V6 setup I had on my JK. All filters should be setup this way.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
I did the same thing once on my old '83 grand prix. Then the screwdriver continued to rip through the filter so I was more f'd than when I started. Then I had a super jagged structurally weakened filter. And since it was my only vehicle at the time I was doubly f'd, because I lived 30 miles from anything. Several lessons learned that week.
exactly on the lessons learned. No. 1 being, to make sure you can loosen the filter and filler cap BEFORE draining the oil.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
hand tighten and 1/4 turn. no more.