Sponsored

Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in...

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
So after reading several threads it seemed like a good idea to change the oil in the 4xe and I only have 2.5k miles. Get the metal particles out and put fresh oil in. I'm not leasing my Jeep and want to keep my first Jeep for a long time.

So mind you I've changed the oil in maybe what....30-35 different cars and never had any issues. This Jeep made me so frustrated and look so stupid I have no words for it other than a sore shoulder (rotator cuff) and not looking forward to tomorrow. Regardless, I drained the oil and started to take the oil filter off and couldn't.... Okay I'm not He-Man but never had a problem taking one off with my hands. So fine I look for an oil cap that fit it. After checking the ones I have I don't have one. Let's go to Autozone and nothing. So after a couple of trips I just bought one of the metal strap oil filter wrench. I couldn't quite get a good grip with it without slipping. So what do I do...??? Also why the hell is it no coming off? Only thing I can think of is that it's under pressure and the factory didn't seat the oil filter on before threading the damn thing on. So okay I used to punture the oil filter to relieve the pressure and it should be easier to take off. Nope nothing works. I even tried vice grips and making a lip to turn the oil filter off. Nope doesn't work. Fine puncture the oil filter and use the screw driver at this point to twist it off. Nope. Other than a bloody mess of oil and mess up oil filter housing I have nothing to say to the Jeep. It was starting to get cold outside so I put away all the tools and start ranting to myself where my kids are looking at me thinking I went off the deep end. At one point I brought the wife out to look at it and make sure I wasn't going to the wrong way. I even looked on YouTube to make sure there was nothing special like counter clockwise threads and I couldn't take off a damn oil filter...

At this point I'm lost. I'm ranting on here to vent my frustration but also to hear if anyone who's done their own oil change, especially with the factory installed filter and had any issues...

The only thing I can think of to try tomorrow is to get one of those silicon pad to open jars and try to take it off my hand and if that doesn't work, wrap the oil filter housing and use the strap wrench again.

Even if I get it off somehow short of cutting it off, I'm sure there's something wrong with the threads and it will be my word at the dealership in the future against a factory installed filter to get any warranty work if it involved a new transmission housing since that's where the oil filter screws onto....

TLDR: New owner looked stupid because he can't get the oil filter off. Too stupid to let the dealership do his oil changes.
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I have not tried it on the 4xe yet but as soon as I get through my 3 free oil changes that will be the last time the dealer does it I have three cars and a boat. I went to this type of wrench and makes my life a lot easier. Now if they cross threaded putting it on it may not help.

31ElcIqLMbL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I've always used the strap wrenches. Were you using wrist action to clamp it down while spinning it off? You sure you were turning it right way?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...At this point I'm lost. I'm ranting on here to vent my frustration but also to hear if anyone who's done their own oil change, especially with the factory installed filter and had any issues...
I've yet to find an oil filter that could resist one of these for very long...

I'm pretty sure it's not the threads. If the filter were cross-threaded, it would be on crooked, and leaking all over the place. More likely, it was put on dry, and now you have to break that seal before the filter will turn.

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
I've yet to find an oil filter that could resist one of these for very long...

I'm pretty sure it's not the threads. If the filter were cross-threaded, it would be on crooked, and leaking all over the place. More likely, it was put on dry, and now you have to break that seal before the filter will turn.
This is what I believe as well. It's just frustrating but I will exchange the strap wrench to the one that was pictured tomorrow.

The oil filter is right next to the oil drain and I showed my wife that I wasn't crazy since it should be the same. Left loose, right tight and she agreed. So I have no idea why it's so tight and stuck.

Sponsored

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
Sometimes I've had luck applying as much torque on the filter as I can for as long as I can - it seems like when I do that the gasket slowly begins to creep and eventually I can get it loose. Have only ever had a couple real nasty ones, but with the proper amount of effort and cursing so far that's always worked. Good luck, you will get it.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
This is what I believe as well. It's just frustrating but I will exchange the strap wrench to the one that was pictured tomorrow.
Keep the strap wrench; you may need it...

Here's what to get at the parts store in addition to the other wrench: Ask for a tube of "valve grinding compound". Valve Grinding compound is a carbide grit suspended in a water-based paste. Liberally smear it all over the contacting surface of the jaws or strap, and you'll get a much better grip on the filter. The carbide grit bites into both the wrench and the filter, giving a much better bite between wrench and that which is being turned. Then keep the tube in your tool box, because...

I use the stuff all the time. I smear it on the inside of wrenches and sockets when dealing with rusted and/or sticky fasteners to keep the wrenches from from slipping and stripping the heads. And it works like majik if you put a dab on the end of a screw driver if you think a screw might cause you problems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in... compound

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Zacreth
As typed, your post suggests that you were unable to find the correct oil filter socket (what you call a cap) at Autozone. When time permits, you'll want to buy one, as this is usually the only thing that works to loosen the most stubborn oil filters. The only other tool that works, in my experience, is a rubber strap wrench, but they require clearance that isn't always available. Maybe the latter is still an option for you.

I tend to avoid puncturing filters with screwdrivers and the like. Not so much because of the fluid leakage, but because oil filters themselves are rarely robust enough to handle the removal torque (that required this approach to being with) without deforming well beforehand. Just a thought.

Yes, when removing oil filters that were installed at the factory, I've not yet had one that came off easily. The worst offender was actually on a Kawasaki motorcycle, of all things.

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
Keep the strap wrench; you may need it...

Here's what to get at the parts store in addition to the other wrench: Ask for a tube of "valve grinding compound". Valve Grinding compound is a carbide grit suspended in a water-based paste. Liberally smear it all over the contacting surface of the jaws or strap, and you'll get a much better grip on the filter. The carbide grit bites into both the wrench and the filter, giving a much better bite between wrench and that which is being turned. Then keep the tube in your tool box, because...

I use the stuff all the time. I smear it on the inside of wrenches and sockets when dealing with rusted and/or sticky fasteners to keep the wrenches from from slipping and stripping the heads. And it works like majik if you put a dab on the end of a screw driver if you think a screw might cause you problems.

Jeep Wrangler JL Frustrated... Who's done their oil change themselves please chime in... compound
I never heard of that but it sounds amazing! Thank you for letting me know about this and will definitely give this a try.

I'm so happy to receive so many recommendations because I was so mad at the stupid oil filter earlier... Lol.

I did get it to move about quarter turn but my should was giving up since I was just mad and frustrated I needed to take a break. Will try in the morning and see if I can get it.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I let the dealer do the first 4 oil changes on our 2.0 through the Jeep Wave program so they got to deal with the factory oil filter. Since I started doing my own I use a strap wrench and it's not too difficult. I always wipe the gasket on the new filter with fresh oil, which helps in 5,000 miles when I remove it.

Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I always wipe the gasket on the new filter with fresh oil, which helps in 5,000 miles when I remove it.
Bingo. It's been a while since I have changed oil in a car (but I'm about to start again with my new Jeep), but I eventually learned that you don't have to put that oil filter on all that tight.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have not tried it on the 4xe yet but as soon as I get through my 3 free oil changes that will be the last time the dealer does it I have three cars and a boat. I went to this type of wrench and makes my life a lot easier. Now if they cross threaded putting it on it may not help.

I bought one of those to get the filter off a Chevy Equinox, didn’t work. Returned it and pounded a screwdriver through and that did the trick.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
So after reading several threads it seemed like a good idea to change the oil in the 4xe and I only have 2.5k miles. Get the metal particles out and put fresh oil in. I'm not leasing my Jeep and want to keep my first Jeep for a long time.

So mind you I've changed the oil in maybe what....30-35 different cars and never had any issues. This Jeep made me so frustrated and look so stupid I have no words for it other than a sore shoulder (rotator cuff) and not looking forward to tomorrow. Regardless, I drained the oil and started to take the oil filter off and couldn't.... Okay I'm not He-Man but never had a problem taking one off with my hands. So fine I look for an oil cap that fit it. After checking the ones I have I don't have one. Let's go to Autozone and nothing. So after a couple of trips I just bought one of the metal strap oil filter wrench. I couldn't quite get a good grip with it without slipping. So what do I do...??? Also why the hell is it no coming off? Only thing I can think of is that it's under pressure and the factory didn't seat the oil filter on before threading the damn thing on. So okay I used to punture the oil filter to relieve the pressure and it should be easier to take off. Nope nothing works. I even tried vice grips and making a lip to turn the oil filter off. Nope doesn't work. Fine puncture the oil filter and use the screw driver at this point to twist it off. Nope. Other than a bloody mess of oil and mess up oil filter housing I have nothing to say to the Jeep. It was starting to get cold outside so I put away all the tools and start ranting to myself where my kids are looking at me thinking I went off the deep end. At one point I brought the wife out to look at it and make sure I wasn't going to the wrong way. I even looked on YouTube to make sure there was nothing special like counter clockwise threads and I couldn't take off a damn oil filter...

At this point I'm lost. I'm ranting on here to vent my frustration but also to hear if anyone who's done their own oil change, especially with the factory installed filter and had any issues...

The only thing I can think of to try tomorrow is to get one of those silicon pad to open jars and try to take it off my hand and if that doesn't work, wrap the oil filter housing and use the strap wrench again.

Even if I get it off somehow short of cutting it off, I'm sure there's something wrong with the threads and it will be my word at the dealership in the future against a factory installed filter to get any warranty work if it involved a new transmission housing since that's where the oil filter screws onto....

TLDR: New owner looked stupid because he can't get the oil filter off. Too stupid to let the dealership do his oil changes.
I ran into the same problem doing my first oil change. None of the filter wrenches I had would work, so I bought everything I could find at the parts stores, and none of them would work either. I finally gave up and went to Jiffy Lube for the first change. I am hoping that they didn’t crank the filter on so tight that I need a nuclear device to loosen it…

I did buy the pliers style filter remover, shown earlier in this thread, from Amazon. None of the auto stores near me had one when I needed it.

I have not hit the second oil change mark yet. We shall see how it goes…

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

+1

I got one of these at Harbor Freight. Best tool ever for removing oil filters IMHO. Used to use the strap kind, but if you can get this on the end of the filter it should get it off.

RDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD; '19 E450 Wagon; '21 R1250RS
Build Thread
Link
So, it doesn't use the filter housing which takes a 24mm socket like the 3.6L?

If it's a traditional metal filter, it's not beneath me to jab it with a screwdriver and gain maximum leverage to remove an overtightened filter. It's messy, but effective. :)
Sponsored