Sponsored

FRS/GMRS radio overhead mount location

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Not needing the review mirror, can’t see out the back because of rear cargo shelves, made this location possible.
FRS-GMRS radio mount.jpg

Once the mirror is removed there are two bolt studs about 6” apart fixed to roll cage. I bridged them with a metal strap and mounted the radio bracket to the metal strap.
Antenna mount is an aluminum l bracket I made. Not sure the antenna location will work very well. Recommended location seems to be on the roof top.
FRS-GMRS antenna mount.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Hmmm...that makes me wonder if one could fab a bracket that tucked the radio tight up against the bottom of the rearview mirror? Anyone ever seen such a thing?

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I went this route. Remote head radio. Brain is under glove box. Used a trigger 6 switch mount, $35 on Amazon. Cut an ABS piece to mount the head to.

20200112_111621.jpg
I like this mod’d switch panel idea. looks a little tight to the Freedom latches but not bad. Your idea works for everyman that needs/wants the rear view mirror. Your idea is way better than that $110 cross bar on another forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any product developers listening:whatsgoingon:

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I like this mod’d switch panel idea. looks a little tight to the Freedom latches but not bad. Your idea works for everyman that needs/wants the rear view mirror. Your idea is way better than that $110 cross bar on another forum.
Yeah, that solution definitely wasn't for me. I'm 6'2", with a long torso. I don't even need the sun visors as is, lol. That bar would very much be in the way.

Dank

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wasn't happy with what was on the market for an overhead radio locations, so I asked my friend over at Retro Fab to build me something custom. It keeps the radio high enough to be out of the way. I still need to wire it in, but now have the mount that works for me.

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

IMG_9928.jpg
Sponsored