First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I just had my front wheel hub bearing, 68272624AC, replaced at 20,000miles by my dealership. No complaints there as it was fully covered under warranty. But I was wondering if this is a common JL failure for those who wander off the mall parking lot? I've never had a bearing failure on other Jeeps or trucks.
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Exact same part number for a JLU sport 2.0L three days ago. And steering damper also replaced all under warranty. Wrangler belongs to family member and has never been off road. 40,665 miles

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
how did you realize there was an issue with the bearing?

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Any mods? Potholes?
100% stock in a city with over 1 million. Sure you could say potholes were certain.

how did you realize there was an issue with the bearing?
Here is the work order info. Once diagnosed the dealership held the Jeep for three days. Would not release until repairs completed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front Wheel Hub Bearing Failure? 04568BBF-0A92-4AEB-82F5-11814F50A288

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
For mine it started with a low growl or hum at speeds over 35 and a barely noticeable steering wheel shake at 53mph. First thing I did was get my 37's rebalanced, but that didn't fix it.

I next suspected a U joint or CV joint, so I spent some time inspecting the U joints & CV boots. There was no play that I could feel. I jacked up both front tires and tried to rock the wheels back & forth, but there was no play. I noticed that the sound/vibration was speed dependent, but would happen in gear or N and in any transfer case mode. The growling sound continued to worsen.

I finally "gave up" with my own troubleshooting and brought it in to my dealership who has been very fair with me despite having installed a Mopar lift & 37's. They diagnosed the bearing and it seems to have taken care of it.

If I had to guess, I suspect it was one of my many offroading trips that damaged the bearing. I've only been on a few moderate trails, but take it out on forest roads nearly every weekend. I don't remember any one event that would have caused it, but I tend to have selective memory at times.
Sponsored