front seats seat release Handles

plumber5

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport 2 door JL
Hi I cannot get my seats to come forward and lift to get in back seat of 2 door and have tried to order new handle and cables but out of stock, one got broken trying to lift up. Is there a adjustment or something to get in back HELP.
Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi I cannot get my seats to come forward and lift to get in back seat of 2 door and have tried to order new handle and cables but out of stock, one got broken trying to lift up. Is there a adjustment or something to get in back HELP.
I do not believe the seats in the JL tilt forward (i.e., lifting the back of the seat to tilt the whole thing forward)- you can only tilt the seat back forward. The seats in my old TJ used to completely lift and tilt forward, but the seat tracks in the JL seem to not have a release in the back to allow the forward tilt (which is a major oversight, IMO- FCA probably did so to avoid having different seats for the JL vs JLU).

This is one of the reasons I removed the rear seat almost immediately after purchasing my two door. I made one trip where I put someone in the back seat, and it is almost impossible (for an adult who is not a Cirque du Soleil performer) to get back there simply by moving and tilting the seat back forward.

Last edited:

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they don't lift, the backrest just leans forward and the whole thing slides to the front. That's it. And the mechanism to do that is VERY fragile, so don't be rough with it.

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
There is an RRT due to cracked front seat handles... common problem on early JL 2 doors.. mine have been replaced on both front seats..

Sponsored

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
The seat release mechanism is crap. Mine is a two door, two seat Jeep now with more room in the back for other stuff.

NJ2656

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JL Rubicon
I got my JLR in Oct and within 24 hours the passenger seat would not lock back. It took until Nov 15 or so to get the part and get it fixed. I had someone ride in the back the second time ever today and it happened again. How has this not been addressed? Rhetorical because I know the answer. But seriously has to be a known issue that you would think would cause an engineering fix in the new models. Like the early JK defroster or hard top issue.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Don't use the pull handle to fold and move the seat. Pull it to release the mechanism, then fold and move the seat itself by hand. Using the pull handle to fold and pull the seat will put too much stress on the poorly designed handle/cable.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
As noted the JL is not nearly as rear seat passenger friendly as my old TJ. I too run w/o a backseat so it’s not a problem, however if I was going to carry anybody in back I’m note sure the 2dr JL is a good choice,

ValClancomer

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Like TangoRomeo6788, the seat releases for both of my front seats have been replaced twice. And, despite being ultra careful, it’s now happened on the passenger seat a third time. I’ve left multiple vm msgs with my svc rep to schedule a repair appt. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that pre-holiday frenzy prevented him from returning my calls.
Not that I have the spare funds, but am wondering if I replace the seats entirely will the problem be resolved.
Has anyone gone to this measure? If so, has the seat release mech been designed differently to obviate the issue many of us have experienced with the original factory installed seats?
Thanks.
Sponsored