front seat locking latch broken

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Since I picked up my new JL earlier this Summer I lowered the passenger seat maybe half a dozen times. Today I had to place something on the back seat and so I gently lifted the plastic latch on top of the seat next to the headrest and the whole plastic component came loose and It seems to me it broke off from the bottom part which I am unable to see because it is placed deeper in the seat opening. I just couldn't believe it. A new car and this thing just broke off like a potato chip.And then as well the seat wouldn't lock back into the proper seating position and so I searched this forum and I just noticed there is a new service bulletin issued for JL manufactured this Spring to fix this problem. What a pain . Has anybody experienced this trouble ?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
O yeah they have. Me, no, but others have. I've only had the console latch break and repaired. Good luck:like:

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O yeah they have. Me, no, but others have. I've only had the console latch break and repaired. Good luck:like:
Thanks. Well, Saturday I am off to the dealer for an oil change and so maybe the Jeep experts won't be too surprised to see my dysfunctional front seat.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks. Well, Saturday I am off to the dealer for an oil change and so maybe the Jeep experts won't be too surprised to see my dysfunctional front seat.
Hopefully it's an easy fix! I know it can be frustrating, but don't let it get you too down. I know when I told them about my console, the dealer was like OK no problem. Good luck:like:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Since I picked up my new JL earlier this Summer I lowered the passenger seat maybe half a dozen times. Today I had to place something on the back seat and so I gently lifted the plastic latch on top of the seat next to the headrest and the whole plastic component came loose and It seems to me it broke off from the bottom part which I am unable to see because it is placed deeper in the seat opening. I just couldn't believe it. A new car and this thing just broke off like a potato chip.And then as well the seat wouldn't lock back into the proper seating position and so I searched this forum and I just noticed there is a new service bulletin issued for JL manufactured this Spring to fix this problem. What a pain . Has anybody experienced this trouble ?
Exact same thing happened with my passenger seat this past Saturday! Before it broke I noticed the passenger seat didn’t move up as much as the driver’s seat when I unlocked it to let passengers in so I’m wondering if it was defective to begin with. Now the back of the seat won’t lock into position and moves freely. Taking it in tomorrow for service. Was yours a quick fix and did they fix it under warranty?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exact same thing happened with my passenger seat this past Saturday! Before it broke I noticed the passenger seat didn’t move up as much as the driver’s seat when I unlocked it to let passengers in so I’m wondering if it was defective to begin with. Now the back of the seat won’t lock into position and moves freely. Taking it in tomorrow for service. Was yours a quick fix and did they fix it under warranty?
First I had to bring in the Jeep and a mechanic diagnosed the problem. The service people called me couple of days later to inform me that the part has arrived and then I scheduled my appointment for this upcoming Saturday. I didn't want to deal with it over Christmas time. You shouldn't have any problems getting it fixed. It's just so annoying. I owned so many cars in the past and interior components just never broke so easily like this crappy plastic console. Good luck .

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The service advisor said it would probably take til the end of next week since they have to pull out the seat :crying:

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I have a 2020 JLR on order, I have decided that I will remove the back seat as soon as I take delivery, that way I have no reason to move the seat forward. :giggle:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They called me yesterday to pick up my Jeep, said seat was working fine. The service advisor who checked me in remembers the seat being broken when I showed him so we don’t know what happened. I’m thinking the tech was playing with the latch and something clicked back into place. I’m pretty sure it’s going to break again so I’ll be waiting to take it in for the real fix but I’m really glad to have my Jeep back so soon.

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They called me yesterday to pick up my Jeep, said seat was working fine. The service advisor who checked me in remembers the seat being broken when I showed him so we don’t know what happened. I’m thinking the tech was playing with the latch and something clicked back into place. I’m pretty sure it’s going to break again so I’ll be waiting to take it in for the real fix but I’m really glad to have my Jeep back so soon.

always hope for the best , good luck

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Posted this almost identical post for Nickit on a separate thread. Repeating here just for relevance.

For me, the dealership car-hops (porters) broke both my seat latches while prepping my 2019 JL Sport 2 door while in the showroom waiting for delivery. I had just told the sales person during our test drive how I had read on this forum just how fragile these latches actually are. We had checked that they both worked just an hour before they delivered the vehicle.

They (the car-hops) broke the entire plastic molding almost identically on both seats. This leads me to believe that two different people broke these at nearly the same time. Otherwise they hired the world's dumbest car cleaner who did the same mistake twice.

Clearly however, the seat engineer(s) who designed these latches should be flipping burgers rather than working in the automotive industry. Did they have to save pennies to use flimsy plastic components on a $37K vehicle?

My apologies for demeaning burger flippers. Perhaps burger flippers should design JL seat latches. Maybe then FCA could charge $37,001 and have a working seat.

They (the car-hops) even had the audacity to try and blame the factory. Good thing the sales rep was able to confirm that the latches both worked just an hour earlier.

The sales manager had taken full responsibility and repaired everything. However, it required two weeks to order the replacement latches and an entire day to repair. They had to completely remove both seats in order to replace each latch assembly and recable it all together.

I'm pretty certain your not in the same predicament, but you may have to plan on the same result.

Moral of the story, these latches are FRAGILE. Treat them like rice paper. I'm fully expecting to be going to the dealership again, needing to fix and/or replace these latches in the future.

Hope not, they've been working so far (a couple of months now). But honestly I've been treating them like they're the last latch parts on the planet.

Sarcasm aside, these latches are nowhere near a world class implementation (not even acceptable for a soap box derby jalopy). I'd highly recommend purchasing the JL Unlimited to just stay away from these 2 door seat latches.

I love my Jeep. Hate these latches.

Jay

gweber

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Mines busted, passenger seat top latch next to the head rest. there is a little metal part that actually fell out and the seat is stuck in forward position. 2019 JL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy