Front seat and rear seat head rests questions

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Two questions below. 4 door / JLU with leather (if that matters with these questions). I've asked the dealership, no luck - they said that it is a Jeep thing. I saw a few forums about this topic, but no answers there either.

1. Front head rests. Mine are leaning so far forward, just the top front edge is pressing against the back of my head. I can raise it up to the highest point, but still doesn't help much. I can lean the seat back farther, but still not enough. Can't the front seat head rests be tilted? If not, is there an aftermarket headrest or some sort of resolution?

2. Rear seat head rests. When flipping the seats down, they don't either fold flat or stay at a 90 degree angle, they slide up to a 45 degree angle, taking up the floor board space that could of been used for a cargo area. Is there any way to either remove the rear seat head rests or make them stay at 45 degrees? I could push something up against them on the floor board, but that looks like it would add stress to the seats and/or head rests.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't have a JL yet, but this pertains to all modern vehicles: they don't have head rests anymore; they have head restraints. They should be raised up so that the back of your head hits the middle of the headrest when you get in a wreck. Almost nobody sets them up correctly. Just take a look around a parking lot.

Don't know about the rear seat head restraints, sorry.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
This is also my JK pet peeve. The head "restraints" are angled farther forward than those of most other vehicles. They were designed by lawyers, not someone trained in ergonomics.

Some folks on Youtube have bent the posts but that will probably reduce the liability of the person who rear-ends you.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any one else find these head rests / head restraints uncomfortable, and any solutions? I searched but didn't find any aftermarket solutions.
So no matter how you adjust the seat, the head restraint is still touching your head?

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The rear ones are problematic for the tall child booster seats. My seats hit the headrest which is not ideal. The front are ok, but I'd prefer they have a little angle adjustment front and rear.

I don't follow on the rear seat folding down question.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So no matter how you adjust the seat, the head restraint is still touching your head?
If I lean the seat back enough in "joe cool" mode, then yes, the head restraint isn't touching my head. But that isn't the best riding posture to lean back that far.

sierrasam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
In the owner's manual it warns against reversing them, which, of course, suggests it's mechanically possible. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would be legally inadvisable in the event of an accident.

malic7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I agree Jeremy, I was thinking the same thing. It really bothers me and I have a bad back so I have to keep the seat straight up for posture. If I had one complaint about my Jeep, it's the headrest. Minor complaint, but doesn't make sense in this day and age that you can't adjust it.

sierrasam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I just reversed mine, and the posts slide in fine, but the notches don't click in; I'll have to see if it stays where I have it. At 6-3, I found the best position to be all the way up until it touches the sound bar right in front of the speaker. That puts it just a couple inches behind my head -- too far to rest my head on but close enough to help in a rear-end collision. That's with my seat all the way down. Maybe I can find a little pad to attach to it to bring it closer to the back of my head for better safety.

I can't tolerate it in the default position. Either the top edge is digging into the back of my head or the top of my neck.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Two questions below. 4 door / JLU with leather (if that matters with these questions). I've asked the dealership, no luck - they said that it is a Jeep thing. I saw a few forums about this topic, but no answers there either.

1. Front head rests. Mine are leaning so far forward, just the top front edge is pressing against the back of my head. I can raise it up to the highest point, but still doesn't help much. I can lean the seat back farther, but still not enough. Can't the front seat head rests be tilted? If not, is there an aftermarket headrest or some sort of resolution?

2. Rear seat head rests. When flipping the seats down, they don't either fold flat or stay at a 90 degree angle, they slide up to a 45 degree angle, taking up the floor board space that could of been used for a cargo area. Is there any way to either remove the rear seat head rests or make them stay at 45 degrees? I could push something up against them on the floor board, but that looks like it would add stress to the seats and/or head rests.

Thanks for any help.
As it regards #2, I have no idea if this video on a JK (not a JL) hack will help, especially since the headrests on the JK unlocked to be positioned to the sky when their seat was flatten, correct? (Is there some spring causing this that can be temporarily detached like in the video)?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I don't have a JL yet, but this pertains to all modern vehicles: they don't have head rests anymore; they have head restraints. They should be raised up so that the back of your head hits the middle of the headrest when you get in a wreck. Almost nobody sets them up correctly. Just take a look around a parking lot.

Don't know about the rear seat head restraints, sorry.
At 6'1" tall (i have short legs, long torso, i guess), I cannot get the head-restraint high enough so that my head is in the middle of the restraint. At the highest position, the top edge of the restraint is touching the top of the strap on my ball cap. Very uncomfortable.
Sponsored