front sag

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
'20 rubi, looking to the future when I get the cash to afford a front bumper and winch...
don't know what the factory bumper weighs, but the Westin wj2 full bumper is 101 pounds, the apex winch is 86.5.
Lets call the total 200 pounds: how much will the difference between the factory plastic POS and the new bumper/winch make in the height of the front end?
if there's too much (I suppose that's subjective), what's a good cure? better shocks (no planning, at this time to lift it) or is is something less expensive & easier?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Shocks only provide dampening, they won't hold the front end up, that's the spring's job. The cheap way is to take measurements before and after the install and then install a set of front coil spring spacers which correspond with the amount of height you lost.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Shocks only provide dampening, they won't hold the front end up, that's the spring's job. The cheap way is to take measurements before and after the install and then install a set of front coil spring spacers which correspond with the amount of height you lost.
perfect! thanks much!

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What’s the expensive way? New springs with a higher rate? Taller springs?

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Not sure if you are a gasser or diesel. The diesel spring will hold the weight. You should see 1 to 1.5 drop after bumper and winch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Not sure if you are a gasser or diesel. The diesel spring will hold the weight. You should see 1 to 1.5 drop after bumper and winch.
whoa! you just gave me a thought....
it's a gasser...so I'll just find a set of springs from a diesel rubi...problem solved?

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
That will kill 2 birds with one stone. Lift and nose sagging. It will feel more like 3/4 truck ride. No brake drive, cornering much improved. If I did not have a bad back they would still be on my JLUR 3.6.

Look for springs 3667AD 3601AA

I just sold my set a few weeks back. They come up in the for sale ads.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the expensive way? New springs with a higher rate? Taller springs?
Yes. You'd have a couple options though. You could opt for a higher rate JL spring or an aftermarket spring. The problem with this is you may end up with too much "lift" in the front. Whereas if you go the spacer route, you know exactly how much lift you're adding.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
With my Rubicon spring swap and 180 lbs of bumper & winch added I ended up using a 3/4" Rugged Ridge front spring spacer. Got it back to level and kept basically the same ride.
Hard to tell, but here's a before & after. This is the spacer I used, it states that it's for a JK, but works just fine for a JL too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW

Jeep Wrangler JL front sag IMG_0346.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL front sag IMG_0386.JPG

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
With my Rubicon spring swap and 180 lbs of bumper & winch added I ended up using a 3/4" Rugged Ridge front spring spacer. Got it back to level and kept basically the same ride.
Hard to tell, but here's a before & after. This is the spacer I used, it states that it's for a JK, but works just fine for a JL too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW

IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG
I'm looking to add the same spacer kit to mine. My braking and handling performance got much worse with the added front weight. Do you think a higher spring rate spring would still be best? Or are you happy enough with the spacers?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm looking to add the same spacer kit to mine. My braking and handling performance got much worse with the added front weight. Do you think a higher spring rate spring would still be best? Or are you happy enough with the spacers?
It's been fine for me, ideally a stiffer spring would probably be the best plan though as there is more dive when hard braking. Those Rubicon springs are pretty compliant so I'd be afraid I'd lose some on-road comfort if I went that route. Always seems to be a fine line we're walking :(

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL front sag 54F9CCCA-370F-494D-B54B-128E486FD1DA

I just did a leveling kit 2 inches up front. 1.5 inches in the rear.

front: arb bumper, winch and lights - 260lbs
Rear: roof rack, rear bumper, tailgate reinforcement, gear - 270lbs
Sides: side steps 130lbs

total weight: 660lbs. Still havent swapped my stock springs and im on 34s lool no rub whatsoever

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
It took 3/4” spacers to level my Jeep with the winch and steel bumper and the factory springs. With the Dynatrac lift I put the same 3/4” spacer in the front and I still have a little over 1/4” rake in the front.

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll go with the spacer route first and see if I need the stiffer springs.
Would the springs from a JLUR Rubicon with steel bumper from the factory be closer to the OEM feel than the diesel springs? Does anyone have this PN?

I really liked how the car handled stock. I felt in total control and braking wasn't so scary.
Sponsored