Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My personal thoughts about the rear fascia, is that it's most functional benefit is protecting the body from the flimsy factory steel bumper. With a bumper like mine, that won't flex from an upward hit, the fascia is more of an aesthetic enhancer for the portion of the body that gets exposed when the rear fender to bumper plastic filler panels are removed after a fender chop. Similar to how an aftermarket front diff cover goes from protection to looks when a front diff skid is added. Again, just my thoughts.

And yeah, I can see what your thinking as far as a 2-piece fascia being less likely to transfer a pulling damage to the opposite side of a hit.
I'm sure it's somewhere between both our guesses lol. Just seeing you're from NY, the fascia coverage may be worse for you as a salt collector.
Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I looked for as minimalist as I could find both front and back. I wasn't worried about fog lights, but did want a recessed winch mount. Also wanted to support a smaller guy. I went Rusty's. I could have done without the winch hoop, but it was about as minimalist as I could find. After a weekend in Sand Hollow, the bumpers never touched where others did the majority of the day. High and tight.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 3

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Another vote for the RR Arcus. It's small enough that I generally won't be hitting it. And it's pretty darn lightweight as it's stamped steel.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit I do like the look of the MOPAR front bumper. I didn't order it with my Jeep because of how crappy the rear bumper is. Going with the MOPAR front is still on the short list. I really like the CAVFAB Ultra Clearance rear bumper a lot. Seeing it on the Tube of You convinced me it will resist flexing into the body more than most other bumpers.
The other option on my short list was the Motobilt Crusher. It's very similar in profile, but has the added benefit of optional cutouts and mounting points for a pair of 3" cube lights. What swayed me away from it was that it originally didn't have accommodations for the factory sensors, but supposedly that has changed and is now a selectable option. Also, I kinda prefer the cleaner and simpler look of the Cavfab.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it's somewhere between both our guesses lol. Just seeing you're from NY, the fascia coverage may be worse for you as a salt collector.
Yeah, salt and really an sand or dirt living in there would suck big time. If I was to ever commit to drilling all those holes in the body to do a rear fascia or rocker skins, I'd fully seal them with copious amounts of permatex ultra black gasket maker. If they were to ever be removed, it would only be to replace them for whatever reason. At that point, any scratching of the paint to re-do the gasket maker routine wouldn't matter, as rot prevention is the only concern.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
The other option on my short list was the Motobilt Crusher. It's very similar in profile, but has the added benefit of optional cutouts and mounting points for a pair of 3" cube lights. What swayed me away from it was that it originally didn't have accommodations for the factory sensors, but supposedly that has changed and is now a selectable option. Also, I kinda prefer the cleaner and simpler look of the Cavfab.
I like that rear bumper!

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I'm going with AEV bumpers (whenever my JLURD finally arrives). I'm not aware of anyone else using Boron steel for bumpers. It's incredibly strong as well as light, but not inexpensive. The winch is recessed and it's set up for killer lights.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hFWCdEFfHZ8wbbhV7
And I thought my GenRight aluminum bumper was expensive...

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And I thought my GenRight aluminum bumper was expensive...
Boron steel isn't exactly cheap. It's usually reserved for safety areas like around door frames.

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
If possible, buy American! I see you already noted that - there are a lot of places in USA that make great bumpers. They're often paying fair wages to people so that they can afford to buy Jeeps too. Anyhow, don't get me started... This being said, I bought a scratch and dent on ebay from Acme that was shipped around the world before it got to me... pic of that Quadratec bumper below.

There's a great thread on bumpers as someone else noted..

For me, most important was aluminum.. I've had too many rusty Jeeps...

jeep bbbb.jpg

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steel bumper package and like the versatility of the front bumper. If you're in the right place at the right time, a take off OEM steel bumper could be had for @$200. Maybe even with the steel skid plate. I am looking to get a rear bumper with a swing away spare tire carrier and have been offered $150 for my OEM rear bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions IMG_0217.JPG

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hefty Fab Works. Hand Made in America by a small fab shop in Colorado. They have a recessed winch mount, are full steel and come in at 66 lbs which is in aluminum territory. The only caveat is they come in bare steel so you will need to paint or powder coat.

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hefty Fab Works. Hand Made in America by a small fab shop in Colorado. They have a recessed winch mount, are full steel and come in at 66 lbs which is in aluminum territory. The only caveat is they come in bare steel so you will need to paint or powder coat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions IMG_1589

That is another bumper on the short list! Thank You!

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have the steel bumper package and like the versatility of the front bumper. If you're in the right place at the right time, a take off OEM steel bumper could be had for @$200. Maybe even with the steel skid plate. I am looking to get a rear bumper with a swing away spare tire carrier and have been offered $150 for my OEM rear bumper.

I will keep my eye out for one. I do like the front bumper a lot.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar steel front and rear bumper looks the best on the JL..
Sponsored

Last edited: