Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I am looking for general opinions (pros and cons).

I like aftermarket stubby bumpers with cutouts for round fog lights. I like the MOPAR version too but the aftermarket versions seems to have better approach clearances. I also like the clean look of recessed winches.

I am not against top mounted winches either. I also don't think that top mounted winches really restrict that much air flow, but it is just an opinion based on nothing. Top mounted winches would seem to be easier to work on if it broke.

My JULRD that I ordered is coming with plastic bumpers, and swapping them out will probably be one of my first three upgrades. Any opinions are appreciated from technical to aesthetics. My only real bumper criteria is that the rear bumper doesn't flex into the body and that they are made in the USA. (Picture for Attention)

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.32.57 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I'd check out ADD for bumpers. The stubby stealth fighter is mean looking.... I think their fog lights aren't round, but I'd still give them a peek!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am looking for general opinions which is why I didn't list this under the exterior mods section. I am not looking for any "how-tos."

I like aftermarket stubby bumpers with cutouts for round fog lights. I like the MOPAR version too but the aftermarket versions seems to have better approach clearances. I also like the clean look of recessed winches.

I am not against top mounted winches either. I also don't think that top mounted winches really restrict that much air flow, but it is just an opinion based on nothing. Top mounted winches would seem to be easier to work on if it broke.

My JULRD that I ordered is coming with plastic bumpers, and swapping them out will probably be one of my first three upgrades. Any opinions are appreciated from technical to aesthetics. My only real bumper criteria is that the rear bumper doesn't flex into the body and that they are made in the USA. (Picture for Attention)

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.32.57 AM
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-aftermarket-bumper-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2824/

In the Exterior mods section ;)

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
Rugged Ridge Arcus with skid plate and loop.

pro: I hit a deer and there isn't even a mark.

pro: It looks good.

con: some people prefer other looks.

20211231_140117.jpg

Sponsored

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 2021 Toyota
I chose the Rugged Ridge Arcus. Straight forward install, didn’t even need to call out the BFH. Quadratec winch fit easy and I can still pull off the grill if needed without having to move the winch. I’m sure it’s not as strong as the welded steel offerings because it is stamped steel, but I liked the fact that it is lighter.

The fog lights are Diode Dynamics SS3 and they mounted up with no issue. I ran the factory fog lights before switching to the SS3’s. The Rigid 360 driving lights were mounted by drilling through the top of the bumper with a step bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 00C94DA0-29C5-4548-AB92-38FF3947B1B1
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 38F09B53-5150-4E3A-BA0F-D537EEE3C966

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
After watching this video I'm pretty sure I'm going with CavFab for my rear bumper. The whole point of the video is showing how other bumpers flex into the body. I'd be interested in hearing about other bumpers that are similarly designed so they don't immediately fold up into the body on impact from below.

As far as the front goes, I just installed a GenRight aluminum stubby bumper. The light weight of it combined with the lighter weight of the synthetic line I got with my winch meant that the front did not sag down appreciably. I measure it at approximately 1/4 inch.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Rugged Ridge HD stubby bumper with round fog lights. i also put the matching skid plate on for better protection. Love this bumper as it has recovery hooks as well as d ring mounts.

04008F31-C858-4413-9EBC-86FFC484C97A.jpeg

YyJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Door Sport S
I chose the Rugged Ridge Arcus. Straight forward install, didn’t even need to call out the BFH. Quadratec winch fit easy and I can still pull off the grill if needed without having to move the winch. I’m sure it’s not as strong as the welded steel offerings because it is stamped steel, but I liked the fact that it is lighter.

The fog lights are Diode Dynamics SS3 and they mounted up with no issue. I ran the factory fog lights before switching to the SS3’s. The Rigid 360 driving lights were mounted by drilling through the top of the bumper with a step bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 04008F31-C858-4413-9EBC-86FFC484C97A
Jeep Wrangler JL Front & Rear Bumper General Opinions 04008F31-C858-4413-9EBC-86FFC484C97A
This looks awesome. I have the exact same combo planned for my 2 door. Currently on day 63 of waiting for my Arcus Bumper to arrive...but it will be worth the wait!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rugged Ridge Arcus with skid plate and loop.

pro: I hit a deer and there isn't even a mark.

pro: It looks good.

con: some people prefer other looks.

I really like that one! It doesn't seem as wide as the MOPAR. Looks a few inches shorter than the MOPAR in stubby mode. Thank you!

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
After watching this video I'm pretty sure I'm going with CavFab for my rear bumper. The whole point of the video is showing how other bumpers flex into the body. I'd be interested in hearing about other bumpers that are similarly designed so they don't immediately fold up into the body on impact from below.

As far as the front goes, I just installed a GenRight aluminum stubby bumper. The light weight of it combined with the lighter weight of the synthetic line I got with my winch meant that the front did not sag down appreciably. I measure it at approximately 1/4 inch.
I saw the same video on the rear bumper. I am pretty much sold on the CavFab rear bumper as well.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I saw that. I guess I was looking more for pros/cons concerning various types. :)
Theyre are so many. Mine is Fishbone stubby. Love it, uses stock fogs and fits my winch great.
Doesn't meet your requirement of where it's made though.
Sponsored

Last edited: