Front parking sensors not working

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Hi All, before I organise a trip to the dealers, has anyone got any experience of the front parking sensors not working?

I picked up my Wrangler last week from a dealer 200 miles away and noticed yesterday that the front parking sensors are not working.

There is an option in UConnect settings to change the volume of the front warning tone, and when I engage reverse, an icon appears in the centre of the speedo cluster of the vehicle with grey radar type segments at the front and rear.

The rear sensors work correctly with the grey segments turning yellow and then red as the obstacle gets nearer, with associated bleeping.

But if I switch from R to D and approach an obstacle at the front, then silence :( and no icons in the display.

I checked the multi-pin connector at the front of the chassis where the front bumper wiring to the sensors is connected and it appears to be seated correctly.

Is there a way to do a reset/reboot on the electronics systems that may give it a kick start? (I could try disconnecting both batteries and leaving it for a few minutes)

Or is the fault well known and needing dealer intervention?

Very frustrating on a 6 month old vehicle, particularly as the front bumper sticks out a long way!!

Any input much appreciated to a UK based Wrangler owner.
Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have a 2019 Sahara with all the safety features. There is no front parking sensors on mine. Is the harness you found for the fog lights? there is a box at the top center of the windshield where the electronics/sensors are the emergency braking and ACC, but they are not for parking. The setting for the front warning tone is for the emergency braking (at least on mine).

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi paffemt, thanks for your input.

I'm pretty sure it should have front ParkSense as it is mentioned on the UK Jeep website.
And it has a setting for the Parksense on the UConnect screen. And 6 sensors in the front bumper.

Perhaps it is for emergency brake warning. Does yours have 6 sensors, including those on the outer edge?

I tried disconnecting both batteries this morning, but it didn't make any difference.

P1020256.JPG
P1020257.JPG
P1020258.JPG

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I don't think you can get the front sensors in the USA. At least you couldn't in '18 when I ordered my JL. Maybe the '19 can, or maybe it's just a UK thing.
I was going to suggest that maybe the front sensor volume you were adjusting was for the brake assist/alert, but the sensors are clearly there, and the screen shows available adjustment for park sense. It almost sounds like it isn't turned on. Assuming you have a button to turn them on/off like the rear sensors do, check and make sure they're on. If the button shows them on, it sounds like a trip the the dealership is in order.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Shots,
There only seems to be a single button to enable or disable the parksense system. The button works as a message appears in the central display to tell you it is switched off.

There isn't anything in the user handbook at all about the front sensors. I just wonder if there is some sort of control sequence you need to follow to make them work, so they don't kick in all the time in traffic queues, etc. Or if there is some logic built into the electronics to only activate them given certain gear shift/steering angle inputs.

Ill call the dealer later today.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not completely sure if there is supposed to be a switch for the JL since we can't get them here in the states. My Ram had front and rear sensors, and I could turn them both on/off independently. This could be done through the settings screen on the radio, or by a physical button beneath it. The JL has a similar button but it doesn't specify front/rear Of course there's no reason to specify when there is only one set of sensors. I'm not sure if the UK version uses that same button for both sensors or if they add one for the front too. Judging by the room (or lack there of) on the JL panel I'm guessing they may only have the one button for both front and rear. You may want to look to see if there is a on/off option in the screen that allows front/rear to work separately.

I've attached photos of the Ram switches vs the Wrangler switches.

Center stack buttons.jpg

park sense button.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure they should be working because :

• UK website & brochure mention front parking sensors.
  • There are six sensors in the front bumper which ties in with the 6 sensors shown on the Park Assist wiring diagram in the wiring diagram sticky thread.
  • There is the option to set the warning volume in the Safety section within uConnect, and a front and rear radar pattern icon appears in the centre dashboard when reverse is engaged .
  • There's a multipin wiring block by the right hand side chassis leg connecting to a loom in the front bumper/fender. Far more wires than would be needed for the front fogs. The wiring diagram has 8 wires associated with the front sensors. six for the individual sensor signals and a common power feed and common earth, all of which should run back to the park assist module in the rear of the vehicle, through the main loom.
Online manual says front sensors (if fitted) should cut in below 7MPH.

The wiring diagram also shows two connector blocks up front and so far I've only located and re-seated the one.

Before I book an appointment at the dealer and possibly end up having to leave the Wrangler for days on end whilst they scratch their heads, I am going to try and find the second connector block up front. And see if I can trace the earth and power wires to check for earth and a voltage.

I can also see from the wiring diagram that the front and rear units are fed by a single feed into the module from Fuse F33. As the rears are working, I can rule out a power supply issue to the module.

Fingers crossed for some decent UK weather in the morning so I can take a look.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like it is going to need a visit to the dealers.

I located the park assist module behind the rear trim, close to the right hand rear tail light cluster.
The wiring is plugged in for the front sensors, with colour coding matching the wiring diagram. There is also continuity on each wire between the plug at the module end and the last connector by the front bumper. And no shorting.

Unlike the rear wiring, where there is a 12V power feed coming out of the module to the rear wiring sensor harness (Grey/Orange wire), there is no 12v feed on the blue/grey wire which powers the front sensors. (Irrespective of PRND selector position or speed).

So my conclusion is that the vehicle probably needs diagnostics plugging in to check that the front system is fully enabled. I even tried a 12v feed to the correct wire, but it made no difference.

I can live without it until the next service time. It's not a show stopper. (Unlike the availability, or rather lack of, European trailer harness wiring kits :( . Currently checking with part suppliers in Germany & Italy to see if they have stock. The trailer harness kit is back ordered in UK with no firm delivery date). If needs be, I'll get a US kit and use a European socket on the hitch.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Dang, sorry to hear it's not something you can fix yourself. That is particularly inconvenient since the dealership is so far away. Hopefully they'll get you fixed up quickly.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for reviving an old thread but can you retrofit OEM parking sensors on the front steel bumper so it’s recognized by the UConnect screen? As pointed out on this thread, this is a UK option so I’m wondering if it would be a simple plug-n-play retrofit?

rcjpmp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe Sahara
Hi paffemt, thanks for your input.

I'm pretty sure it should have front ParkSense as it is mentioned on the UK Jeep website.
And it has a setting for the Parksense on the UConnect screen. And 6 sensors in the front bumper.

Perhaps it is for emergency brake warning. Does yours have 6 sensors, including those on the outer edge?

I tried disconnecting both batteries this morning, but it didn't make any difference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front parking sensors not working park sense button
I want these too. I will need to find the part # to order them and install
Sponsored