Sponsored

Front or Rear - Which Tires Wear Faster? Rotation Advice

thedoc29ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Going in for a oil change tomorrow and a tire rotation is part of a promotion. Trying to decide if I should rotate the tires. We’ve done done two 5 tire rotations up to this point and I’m drawing a blank on how the tires have worn. We’ve got 8/32 on the fronts and 7/32 on the rears (9/32 on the spare).

Thinking I should let the fronts wear down but second guessing that they will wear faster than the rears..

Thanks - Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I've always found a vehicles drive axle tires to wear faster. I've also always had the habit of not turning the wheel at a dead stop.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Going in for a oil change tomorrow and a tire rotation is part of a promotion. Trying to decide if I should rotate the tires. We’ve done done two 5 tire rotations up to this point and I’m drawing a blank on how the tires have worn. We’ve got 8/32 on the fronts and 7/32 on the rears (9/32 on the spare).

Thinking I should let the fronts wear down but second guessing that they will wear faster than the rears..

Thanks - Any advice would be much appreciated.
This is a much deeper topic than your most might suggest.

Several factors come into play when considering wear criteria.
Terrain
How fast you drive
How fast you take turns
How abruptly you make stops
etc...etc...etc...

anyway you get my anal point.

Personally, I drive our Jeep as safely as possible, while still trying to drive her like a BMW.

With that said, my driving habit force a quicker front wheel wear. Additionally we live in an area with a lot of round abouts, so depending how many of those we go thru and in what direction, there can be uneven wear just on one side.

I say just keep track of the wear and rotate accordingly, which may not be the traditional way.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Depends on car. Usually front for me. Exceptions are cars with a lot of rear negative camber. Not uncommon for performance cars like Corvettes and 911s to be set up that way. The inside rear of my 911 tires wear out at about 8K miles. The outside of the tires will still look like they have 80% left even though the inside is worn out around 8K miles.

I do the regular 5-wheel rotations every 5K miles or so on the JLR. Hoping wear averages out. Totally stock. I have the stock K02s.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
This is a much deeper topic than your most might suggest.

Several factors come into play when considering wear criteria.
Terrain
How fast you drive
How fast you take turns
How abruptly you make stops
etc...etc...etc...

anyway you get my anal point.

Personally, I drive our Jeep as safely as possible, while still trying to drive her like a BMW.

With that said, my driving habit force a quicker front wheel wear. Additionally we live in an area with a lot of round abouts, so depending how many of those we go thru and in what direction, there can be uneven wear just on one side.

I say just keep track of the wear and rotate accordingly, which may not be the traditional way.

You should get the hellwig rear sway bar, it makes it track as close to a BMW

OP
OP

thedoc29ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Lots of good insight. Thanks again.
Primarily a daily driver for my wife with mostly city and occasional county and highway driving.
No drag racing or hard cornering for us.
As suggested I‘ve noted the current tread depth and will use that as a baseline for future comparisons.

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Recon 2020
Lots of good insight. Thanks again.
Primarily a daily driver for my wife with mostly city and occasional county and highway driving.
No drag racing or hard cornering for us.
As suggested I‘ve noted the current tread depth and will use that as a baseline for future comparisons.
In steady driving, I.e., highway cruising, the wear on tires front vs. back should reflect the weight distribution front to back. more wear on the front tires. For mostly city driving, under acceleration there would be more wear from the drive tires -> increased rear tire wear, but that would be offset by the increased wear at the front tires when braking - due also to forward weight transfer under braking.

Our brakes should potentially allow for more G's of deceleration than our engines can create in acceleration. But it would be fun to see what the 392 can do!
Sponsored