www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

what front plate?. ( knock on wood ) i have never ran a front plate on my trucks nor my Jeep thus far. no issues. I am from CA and have learned that if you do not do anything illegal than you wont get popped for your plate.. i tend to just keep it in the back under compartment
Sponsored

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
For those of you in California that bought a Wrangler here with the steel bumpers, how did your dealer attach the plates?

Every car I've ever bought in Cali has had the front plate holder drilled into the bumper, which is hideous since the first thing I do is remove the front plate and have to look at ugly holes in my bumper.

Are the Cali dealers mounting the front plates the same way?
I'm in Calif and the dealer didn't have a front license bracket. Told me that most people with Jeeps just risk it.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Got pulled over last night for no front plate. Was able to talk my way out of ticket. LEO said its now a $180 fine and something about it escalating over a 3 yr period? Was going to install stock bracket on my 20 JLUR with steel bumper until i saw this. Would a LEO give you an equally hard time with this bracket given how low and tilted it looks. I saw something online about "non obstructed clear view of plate".
I haven't had any problems or questions from LEO yet and have driven by plenty at events and parking lots. Not sure about other states but so far no trouble here <knock on wood>

Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I screwed the surf fishing plate into the center plastic of the JLUR steel bumper and tapped the warn bumper on the TJ. No winch on either wrangler to contend w/.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Just pulled the front plastic cover off mine and used HD zipties through the fairlead holes. I'll probably just zip tie it someplace else when the winch is installed next month.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
I like the no plate

4476B3F3-CF27-4469-B6D5-36B66A7780B0.jpeg

I used two rubberized magnets for license plates I got from amazon, feels pretty strong.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
In my experience here in Cali, it isn't the LEOs that you need to worry about. It's parking enforcement. They love to zip up and down the parking rows at the mall, searching for folks to ticket for missing front plates. I got one years ago on my Cherokee after which I started running a front plate. A co-worker got one the same way just a few weeks ago. I believe he said it was around $300 and was not contestable. I now find myself trying to decide which route to go with my new winch bumper.

That being said, I thought the factory option was just fine on my Mopar steel bumper. I understand if you're trying to accommodate a winch, but in my opinion the Mopar mount is cleaner looking than most all of the aftermarket stuff for those who are winchless. The plastic piece they "drill" to install it is pre-marked with little dimples where the holes go. It's not like you're having to worry about some car prepper guy at the dealership screwing it up.

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Some of you guys in Cali are lucky, here in Illinois it's not possible -- strict enforcement. The front license plate is used for so many things in the Chicagoland area. For example, I live in a loft building and the garage camera system uses the front license to open the garage door. Which is pretty convenient :)

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
That's zip tied

upload_2020-3-20_14-13-19.png

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I finally decided on these: VERSA-TAGS Premium Red Rubber Coated Bar Magnet

IMG_0438.jpg

They've been on there for a couple weeks now and are super solid. The rubber coating is soft enough to be easy on the bumper's finish, but not so soft that it will start decomposing or anything. I'll just yank it off and stow it when I go wheeling. I also changed out the hardware, not because there was anything wrong with the included hardware, but because I wanted the same hardware on both my front and back plates. Yeah, maybe a touch of OCD... lol

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I wish Factor55 (or anyone else) would design a loop guard license plate mount.

Like this, but with a license plate:

factor-55-loop-guard-00450-06-installed.jpg

IMG_6605-1.jpg
i was thinking along the same lines. I was envisioning a mushroom shaped plastic plug that could be inserted through my Flatlink. The head would get sandwiched between the Flatlink and the fairlead, and the base would be tapped for hardware to be used to secure a license plate bracket. Was going the see if a plastics place or machine shop could make such a thing for me, but then I got lazy... lol
Sponsored