Sponsored

Front Intermediate Axle Shaft Bearing Removal?

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know how to remove the front Intermediate Axle shaft bearing ? The one that can be seen at the FAD. Mine has exploded and left the outer raceway still inside the axle tube....

I've tried getting a flathead/pry bar in there with no luck.

IMG-20210822-WA0007.jpg
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've looked at those and most I've found seem too short to go in from the hub side. I can't find an "extended" reach slide hammer (24" or more )
I’d bet one could be made with coil rod. Hopefully someone has a better idea though

Sponsored

OP
OP
x7tristan

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I run a few extensions with a large socket. That does great with inner axle seals.
So you're saying find ~2" diameter socket that can be shoved into the bearing raceway and then try to back it out with an impact wrench connected to a bunch of extensions?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
So you're saying find ~2" diameter socket that can be shoved into the bearing raceway and then try to back it out with an impact wrench connected to a bunch of extensions?
I think he was saying to find a socket which fits inside of the axle tube but not through the bearing, attach a bunch of extensions to the end of it and tap it out with a hammer. From the axle end.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I think he was saying to find a socket which fits inside of the axle tube but not through the bearing, attach a bunch of extensions to the end of it and tap it out with a hammer. From the axle end.
Yep. Use the socket and extensions as a driver.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
looks like there is some lip exposed from the pumpkin side is you can get a flathead down there some how and hammer it from with in the pumpkin

if you are good with a die grinder you can carefully cut it and use a cold chisel to split it, but thats easy to fuck up